astro

If you had the choice of finishing the season now....

47 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I know this is off topic of the thread, but in response, Buendia and Cantwell managed to thrive despite all their defensive duties until it became apparent that the task was just too much... that occurred the day before matches resumed when the team knew they only had 3 defenders left.   No excuses, Steipermann was completely out of his depth, there are few to no examples of a link up with Pukki. 

The points I raise about Steipermanns performance against Bristol are perfectly valid, they were some of his poor contributions that get ignored and unfortunately, it occurs all too often, especially when the full-backs have already committed forward.  Buendia is our best No. 10, is relatively consistent, is on Pukki's wavelength and has the potential to be one of the best in the EPL.   Martin and Cantwell could be effective No. 10's and we have Dowell and Sinani to come back.  Regards his strengths you quote, his poor control means that he is simply unable to show these pieces of inspiration anywhere near enough and far too often we carry him.   

No-one's ignored his poorer aspects as far as I can see, and I don't see anyone disputing the notion that Stiepermann is some way away from the form of 2018/9, but as said before, a player that's not been fully fit due to back issues and is working his way back to peak match fitness can surely be given some leeway? I agree that Buendia could be our best number 10 and indeed have said a few times on here that I'd like to see him behind the striker, although we lose his link-up with Aarons on the right.

I still believe we should look at 4-3-2-1, or even 3-4-2-1 (so the 4 would be two wing-backs and two more defensive midfielders, and the 2 would be two attacking midfielders) as I find with both Buendia and Cantwell on the pitch at the same time we do look very creative, but we also look more open when not in possession. Alternatively, put both of those as the two attacking midfielders instead of in a 3, and then Skipp / Rupp (or McLean / Sorensen) behind them, with wing-backs.

Nah,

We're barley playing well, are in third year and are grinding out results.

Can't wait to see us once we get started.

If we can get some temporary cover in the blatantly obvious areas in, in January, then I'd be very surprised if we don't finish in the Top2. 

• Like 1

I’m loving the optimism here. I also think there is much more to come from the side once we’re fully on song - no one really quite seems on fire yet.