Sign in to follow this  
daisy

Krul

Magnificent today, kept us in the game with three great saves. To be fair we would have lost without him today.

Tbh he didn’t make any saves that any other keeper would make today, their finishing wasn’t the best, but it’s good to know we can rely on him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Tbh he didn’t make any saves that any other keeper would make today, their finishing wasn’t the best, but it’s good to know we can rely on him.

It seems a bit churlish, but I did say a similar thing to my mates earlier (on Whatsapp, we've not been having illegal gatherings). Swansea should have taken at least one of their clear-cut chances, and if he'd have let in any of those efforts I think he (and we) would have been most displeased. He's still a great keeper on outstanding form, though, and I wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in this division (except maybe Angus!).

• Like 1

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

It seems a bit churlish, but I did say a similar thing to my mates earlier (on Whatsapp, we've not been having illegal gatherings). Swansea should have taken at least one of their clear-cut chances, and if he'd have let in any of those efforts I think he (and we) would have been most displeased. He's still a great keeper on outstanding form, though, and I wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in this division (except maybe Angus!).

Exactly. Swansea's build-up play was excellent and they probably edged it on clear chances, but the resulting shots didn't exactly result in any great saves. Nothing remotely as good as the header from Toney or indeed the piledriver from Martin.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly. Swansea's build-up play was excellent and they probably edged it on clear chances, but the resulting shots didn't exactly result in any great saves. Nothing remotely as good as the header from Toney or indeed the piledriver from Martin.

That save from Toney was ridiculous. If you pause it when it leaves his head, the amount of ground Krul makes up to get his fingertips to it is just unreal.

Top keeper probably are best ever , keelan b4 my time , it's funny because he did not have the greatest start but has turned it around big style.

4 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Top keeper probably are best ever , keelan b4 my time , it's funny because he did not have the greatest start but has turned it around big style.

Probably because he had a really bad injury and had hardly played in two years when he joined us. He's now showing the kind of form that made him a Premier League regular for a number of years.

The big turning point was Farhmann joining I think. He was so confident that he could rise to the challenge. It never entered his head that Ralf was going to take the No.1 spot. Good players are used to, and perform better with competition. 

19 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

As i said the other day on another thread he is at the head of the queue for POTS already.

I can’t think what kind of a season somebody else is going to have to have to beat him to be honest

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

You're the poster who was a bit of a buzzkill while Krul was being praised on here for winning POTS last season weren't you? I think Krul / keepers maybe have a tough gig with you. 

You wouldn't say about a striker who scored a few 'he didn't score any tap ins today that any other striker wouldn't have scored' or anything which takes away from their goals / performance at all. 

Today he was called upon several times to make good stops from close range while we were under the cosh and needed him, he also came and claimed several crosses / won a few freekicks to relieve the defence. He did everything that was asked of him faultlessly.

Okay so there wasn't quite a worldy stop like we saw against Brentford, but he didn't need to make one. 

And would we have still won the game if we swapped keepers? I'm not convinced. 

Absolutely the best keeper in this league and as @Tetteys Jig said - the best keeper I have seen for NCFC in my lifetime. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

He’s the keeper Angus would love to become. Can’t compare the two on ability as ones miles superior. 

43 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

You're the poster who was a bit of a buzzkill while Krul was being praised on here for winning POTS last season weren't you? I think Krul / keepers maybe have a tough gig with you. 

You wouldn't say about a striker who scored a few 'he didn't score any tap ins today that any other striker wouldn't have scored' or anything which takes away from their goals / performance at all. 

Today he was called upon several times to make good stops from close range while we were under the cosh and needed him, he also came and claimed several crosses / won a few freekicks to relieve the defence. He did everything that was asked of him faultlessly.

Okay so there wasn't quite a worldy stop like we saw against Brentford, but he didn't need to make one. 

And would we have still won the game if we swapped keepers? I'm not convinced. 

Absolutely the best keeper in this league and as @Tetteys Jig said - the best keeper I have seen for NCFC in my lifetime. 

That’s just totally unfair - indeed, when all were whingeing about his performances when he joined I was one of very few who stood up for the guy, he was and is a decent keeper.  

The fact remains, he was not really made to work too hard for their chances today and only made saves you’d expect at this level. If you see that as a criticism that’s your problem as it’s purely an observation.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Absolutely fantastic asset to this club! Best keeper we've had in my life of supporting the club and we've had some good ones.

Best in my 30 years as well. 

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That’s just totally unfair - indeed, when all were whingeing about his performances when he joined I was one of very few who stood up for the guy, he was and is a decent keeper.  

The fact remains, he was not really made to work too hard for their chances today and only made saves you’d expect at this level. If you see that as a criticism that’s your problem as it’s purely an observation.

I'm with you entirely but that isn't what football fans are. This week Mumba is amazing and should be in the team, after a couple of games of not performing, he's useless. A few weeks ago Stiepermann was the answer to everything, now he's useless (until he scores). Krul is currently a cert for player of the season... until he isn't.

There is no middle ground with football fans. You're either Messi or dog-sh*t.

PS Krul is a good keeper and always has been. He is not without fault sometimes though.

PPS, player of the season already? What a ludicrous suggestion.

23 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

He was not really made to work too hard for their chances today and only made saves you’d expect at this level. If you see that as a criticism that’s your problem as it’s purely an observation.

Perhaps playing the poster a little as I did remember your posts towards the end of last season which I thought were a bit negative. And apologies as it was probably harsh to pick you out considering there were a few posts on the thread which my comments were also aimed at. But going further it does seem to be an overall trend in opinion on football.

A keeper can have an unreal game and then make one error at the end and that's all that he gets remembered for. Whereas a striker can have a terrible game but then score a tap in at the end and he's still the hero.

We will always praise a striker scoring no matter how bad or fortunate their goals were, I haven't seen a single post saying that Pukki was personally lucky to score vs. Preston given the keeper's mistake, or the deflected shot against Bristol. Whereas when a keeper makes a save there seems to be the expectation already there that he should've saved it anyway.

I know he didn't make the saves he made against Brentford or Bristol but that shouldn't be something we need to comment on at the end of the game. If anything its more difficult for a keeper to make a worldy save because it requires the opposition to firstly have a worldy shot! 

That's why I would call it a faultless display!

PS can you tell where I play yet? 😄 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

2 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Krul is currently a cert for player of the season... until he isn't.

Not so sure about that one, he did win POTS last year after all!

It is probably a bit easier for a keeper in the sense he will be a guaranteed starter for the whole season and will probably not pick up an injury (touch wood) or need to be rested.

I would argue players like Rupp have been just as good for the team but he's now out injured and has already been in and out the team a little bit.

I think the fact that Krul will be a mainstay in the team and has been a consistent performer for 2 seasons now will put him in good stead.

He'll definitely be the front runner at the moment for me but there is plenty of time for someone else to come through! As mentioned above I think it would take something pretty special though - let's hope we see it!

30 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

He'll definitely be the front runner at the moment for me but there is plenty of time for someone else to come through! As mentioned above I think it would take something pretty special though - let's hope we see it!

Something special in 35 games to out do 11 games? Really? Really really?

He's playing well and a good player but can we please stay sensible.

42 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Perhaps playing the poster a little as I did remember your posts towards the end of last season which I thought were a bit negative. And apologies as it was probably harsh to pick you out considering there were a few posts on the thread which my comments were also aimed at. But going further it does seem to be an overall trend in opinion on football.

A keeper can have an unreal game and then make one error at the end and that's all that he gets remembered for. Whereas a striker can have a terrible game but then score a tap in at the end and he's still the hero.

We will always praise a striker scoring no matter how bad or fortunate their goals were, I haven't seen a single post saying that Pukki was personally lucky to score vs. Preston given the keeper's mistake, or the deflected shot against Bristol. Whereas when a keeper makes a save there seems to be the expectation already there that he should've saved it anyway.

I know he didn't make the saves he made against Brentford or Bristol but that shouldn't be something we need to comment on at the end of the game. If anything its more difficult for a keeper to make a worldy save because it requires the opposition to firstly have a worldy shot! 

That's why I would call it a faultless display!

PS can you tell where I play yet? 😄 

Fully paid-up member of the Goalkeeper Union here (and caused more than enough mayhem on the five-a-side and seven-a-side pitches of my home town for years, frustrating the odd ex-pro or even current pro in my time), but that bit in bold is rather oversimplified IMO. A fair number of worldie saves happen for other reasons apart from great shots.

Deflections. Bad marking. Close range. Pele's header wasn't a worldie, but Banks needed a worldie to keep it out. Anything that requires particularly sharp reactions / particularly explosive movement in a particularly short period of time starts heading towards the "worldie" moniker. In fact, I'd argue many saves that are "worldies" are due to the shot being just that shade below it.

Fundamentally agree with the rest though I would say goalkeepers really should, as a base level, be measured on the mistakes they don't make. Any worldies pulled out are a bonus but if a goalkeeper makes very few errors, that gives greater confidence to a defence than a goalie who can pull a worldie out at any time, but always has a schnitzer in his locker.

• Like 2

In my opinion he’s the best signing Webber has made since coming, and the best keeper we’ve had since Bryan Gunn. I mean - a goalkeeper with great PL experience signing for a Championship club as a free agent. Very loyal as well - we get relegated from the PL and he says he will stay in return for us rescuing his career 

24 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Something special in 35 games to out do 11 games? Really? Really really?

He's playing well and a good player but can we please stay sensible.

Well that's nearly one third of the season gone already!

It would take something special because I don't foresee Krul's performance levels dropping off - I am not saying he has already made POTS based of these 11 games. If he continues to play as well as he has done so far for the rest of the season he will be POTS IMO.  

16 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Deflections. Bad marking. Close range. Pele's header wasn't a worldie, but Banks needed a worldie to keep it out. Anything that requires particularly sharp reactions / particularly explosive movement in a particularly short period of time starts heading towards the "worldie" moniker. In fact, I'd argue many saves that are "worldies" are due to the shot being just that shade below it.

Good to have a fellow member on board!

And yep that's a good point actually - I did oversimplify it. The crux of what I said remains however - in that a worldy save requires something to initiate it from the opposition. Whereas any outfield player could (in theory) pick up the ball 30 yards out and belt it in - they have a greater degree of control I'd say. 

But yes I'd also agree in that it would usually not be a worldy shot that determines a worldy save - given a worldy shot probably wouldn't give a keeper a chance of saving it! But relatively speaking...

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Good to have a fellow member on board!

And yep that's a good point actually - I did oversimplify it. The crux of what I said remains however - in that a worldy save requires something to initiate it from the opposition. Whereas any outfield player could (in theory) pick up the ball 30 yards out and belt it in - they have a greater degree of control I'd say. 

But yes I'd also agree in that it would usually not be a worldy shot that determines a worldy save - given a worldy shot probably wouldn't give a keeper a chance of saving it! But relatively speaking...

I'd argue the nature of goalkeeping is such that even when a goalkeeper is anticipating, he's still having to react to something initiated by the opposition regardless of it being a worldie or just bog-standard. So I agree, would just point out the caveat that it's not just for worldies, and yes, outfield players do have a bit more control.

Pulled off far too many scrambled double saves at fives from decent hits that weren't worldies in themselves, but needed something good from me to get there. In fact, I pissed off an ex-Canary several times in one game in particular, namely Simon Whaley and played with him a fair few times.

• Like 1

Probably the most consistent keeper I can remember. What was the last real error he made, Arsenal away last season?

17 minutes ago, Ian said:

Probably the most consistent keeper I can remember. What was the last real error he made, Arsenal away last season?

I'd say the goal against Wycombe was as much his fault as Hanley's to be honest. If you're going to come out like that to the point your defender starts slowing down, you have to go for it and he didn't. Not an obvious error, and not just his error, but one where there was a communication breakdown.