Pugin

Bali Mumba - goes inside and out

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Just remember the initial opinions from fans is so regularly wrong. Vrancic.

I see your Vrancic and I raise you Rupp.

• Like 3

Not enough leeway is given to young players who move to this country from abroad at a young age.

Take Placheta. He's 22. Aged 22, I had just finished my studies and moved back to Norfolk. I'd just got my first proper job, was yet to move in with my girlfriend and was living with my Mum and Dad while we looked for a place to rent. I had passed my driving test, but couldn't afford a car. It was probably the first time I really felt like a "grown up". In among my friends is one person I could think of who at 22 would argue he was still very much enjoying his youth. 

Meanwhile, Placheta has upped sticks and moved 837 miles away to a new country. He's never lived abroad before. May not know the language. Moved at a time where Covid means he either drives home (a 16hr journey, FYI) or risks a flight. No clue how Poland are doing tackling COVID; from a quick look at the google statistics, not very well seems to be the answer! He has to learn the rigours of British football, try to adapt to a higher level of football and learn to gel with a new boss, new team and new surroundings.

We are doing okay so far this year. Against Preston, when I had the chance to really study his movement and what he was doing, I thought he did okay. I think we can and should cut a young man who has made a brave, big change in his life at a time where brave, big changes are just that bit scarier than normal, a bit of slack. 

• Like 6

Placheta has more to offer, he strikes me very much as 'trying to play a role he isn't used to' at the moment- if you watch back through Swansea, there were a few times he was desperately trying to lead the fullback into giving him space to accelerate into but it didn't quite click. It speaks volumes that we competed very well against one of the better sides with our whole left side in uncomfortable positions.

Bali instead of raw pace has that Hazard-esque low centre of gravity and quick feet which suited that space on the pitch much more, it was a great piece of tactical management by Farke. I look forward to seeing him push on this year.

On 07/11/2020 at 17:47, TIL 1010 said:

A better debut you will do well to identify.

His actual debut was even better, probably the only City player to come through that game with any credit.

23 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Why? It seems to be working with him in the team and having a Mumba/Cantwell/Martin option as backup.

Because he wasn't very good in my opinion and I don't think he;s quite ready yet to start regularly or that he's on the same wavelengh as the others or looking confident. It will hopefully come but right now its not quite working and I think we would be a lot better with Cantwell playing. Just my opinion though. Cantwell had a poor half at Brentford but (apart from missing a load of good chances) was very good v Brum when he came back into the side. 

11 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Not enough leeway is given to young players who move to this country from abroad at a young age.

Take Placheta. He's 22. Aged 22, I had just finished my studies and moved back to Norfolk. I'd just got my first proper job, was yet to move in with my girlfriend and was living with my Mum and Dad while we looked for a place to rent. I had passed my driving test, but couldn't afford a car. It was probably the first time I really felt like a "grown up". In among my friends is one person I could think of who at 22 would argue he was still very much enjoying his youth. 

Meanwhile, Placheta has upped sticks and moved 837 miles away to a new country. He's never lived abroad before. May not know the language. Moved at a time where Covid means he either drives home (a 16hr journey, FYI) or risks a flight. No clue how Poland are doing tackling COVID; from a quick look at the google statistics, not very well seems to be the answer! He has to learn the rigours of British football, try to adapt to a higher level of football and learn to gel with a new boss, new team and new surroundings.

We are doing okay so far this year. Against Preston, when I had the chance to really study his movement and what he was doing, I thought he did okay. I think we can and should cut a young man who has made a brave, big change in his life at a time where brave, big changes are just that bit scarier than normal, a bit of slack. 

I don;t diagree at all. He needs time to bed in. That does not mean to say, however, that I can;t express the view that someone else should be starting at the moment, particularly Cantwell (one of  the highest rated youjng players in the country) if he's fit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Because he wasn't very good in my opinion and I don't think he;s quite ready yet to start regularly or that he's on the same wavelengh as the others or looking confident. It will hopefully come but right now its not quite working and I think we would be a lot better with Cantwell playing. Just my opinion though. Cantwell had a poor half at Brentford but (apart from missing a load of good chances) was very good v Brum when he came back into the side. 

He will click with game time though, that’s how it happens. I watched Swansea full match yesterday and did notice on occasions that there was a loss in communications, but I did notice that he had a lot of misplaced passes his way too. 

There’s  definitley a player there and would certainly pick him over Cantwell. (Like Hernandez) I think he will grow into an asset for us.

The recruitment team are doing a fine job. With Mumba, I guess it's a different situation at Sunderland. I guess he was expected to make an immediate impact there, whereas here, he's being "shielded" more... see what I did there?

11 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Meanwhile, Placheta has upped sticks and moved 837 miles away to a new country. He's never lived abroad before.

Agree with the general view that Placheta could improve a lot, and perhaps wouldn't be starting regularly yet at this stage if Cantwell was fit / had his head together. Or Hernandez for that matter.

But he lived in Germany for two years as a youth player, so its not his first time abroad / away from home. 

If Cantwell was fully fit and right frame of mind etc, Placheta wouldn't have started the games he has.

Cantwell right now is a much better player than Placheta and i'm sure we'll be looking to get him into the first team once the international break is over.