Pugin

Bali Mumba - goes inside and out

42 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly, not to mention Mumba's English and knows the league/culture and Placheta's just come in. There's definitely a very good player in the Pole, but he needs more time and attention.

He certainly takes up some good attacking positions though. You don't get the shots off he has without knowing where to head.

I also think there is a good player there in Placheta. Mumba, fresh as a frisky antelope, came on against a tiring defence that knew sod all about him, and did very well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

A better debut you will do well to identify.

Leon McKenzie? 🙂

• Like 2

Took on the full back more times in 15 minutes than Placheta has all season.  Has the defence facing their own goal and creates vastly better opportunities. Bit worried about him playing as LB though. He'll be caught upfield too often. He looks as though he could play in front of an LB though on that evidence, albeit brief.

I've said that Placheta and Hernandez are better coming on against tiring legs, and would argue Vrancic is better coming on from off the bench if we're dominating a game but can't pot the white. Mumba, on that performance, could be in the first category. Not that he's got express pace, but his movement and balance is such you can't tell where he'll go, as the opening post said.

2 hours ago, Indy said:

I still say having seen Sorensen the last three games, he’s solid and his passing is superb, move him inside along with Skipp and bring in Mumba he looked good, I’d even consider starting Martin ahead of Steipermann, as you say options!

I have to say I wasn’t wildly impressed with Martin when he came on. Didn’t look like he knew what he ought to be doing, control and passing were poor. I know he’s young and needs game time, but it looks from what I saw that there are others ahead of him in the queue right now.

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

I have to say I wasn’t wildly impressed with Martin when he came on. Didn’t look like he knew what he ought to be doing, control and passing were poor. I know he’s young and needs game time, but it looks from what I saw that there are others ahead of him in the queue right now.

Probably right, I’m not sure if Martin will develop into a premiership player but needs game time to develop, hopefully we might start scoring more giving us better options if we’re comfortably winning by playing the fringe players.

But agree he’s decent enough today, not catching the eye like Mumba did.

Sorensen has certainly caught the eye.

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

Probably right, I’m not sure if Martin will develop into a premiership player but needs game time to develop, hopefully we might start scoring more giving us better options if we’re comfortably winning by playing the fringe players.

Martin looked quite lively in a couple of his cameos last season, and Mumba has only played 25 minutes for us. Let's not get too carried away just yet; they're both talented lads, and there will be plenty of ups and downs before we find out how good they truly are.

• Like 5

I was impressed with both Martin and Mumba. Mumba was obviously better when he came on but it's clear Martin has talent. 

Both could be huge for us. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

19 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Martin looked quite lively in a couple of his cameos last season, and Mumba has only played 25 minutes for us. Let's not get too carried away just yet; they're both talented lads, and there will be plenty of ups and downs before we find out how good they truly are.

I did say today FTW!

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Leon McKenzie? 🙂

Still a favourite of mine. Not just for the (amazing) debut but also for his effort. Not as technically good as some of my favourite players but still have a really soft spot for him!

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Agreed about Sorensen, it’s the fact that as well as clearly being skilful, he’s composed with it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Agreed about Sorensen, it’s the fact that as well as clearly being skilful, he’s composed with it.

Yes he’s very calm and composed when in possession. Always seems to have time on the ball. He’s really impressed me even though it’s clearly not his position at left back. 

• Like 1

Patience my friends...it was a fantastic, match changing 20 minutes. But obviously playing games from the start is a different sort of challenge and we haven't really seen what he's capable of defensively yet. 

But yes, very exciting. And the one area of the squad which has come in for criticism on this forum, suddenly doesn't look so threadbare after all...

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I also think there is a good player there in Placheta. Mumba, fresh as a frisky antelope, came on against a tiring defence that knew sod all about him, and did very well.

Yep, always great to see a young lad hit the ground running and put in an exciting debut, that’s the easy bit done for him!

I think Mumba was under instruction when he came on to be offensive. Farke saw a weakness that could be exploited. 

what is Mumba’s actual position, defence or midfield?

1 hour ago, Canary Jedi said:

I think Mumba was under instruction when he came on to be offensive. Farke saw a weakness that could be exploited. 

what is Mumba’s actual position, defence or midfield?

I'm pretty sure he's seen as Aarons successor (although I suppose if they constantly see the level of attacking threat he carried today, they may change their minds).

On Sorensen, I believe we've conceded 2 goals in 4 games against top half sides with him in the team. That's some achievement.

12 hours ago, Petriix said:

In for Placheta. One of them looks like an exciting dynamic player with some real ability. The other reminds me of a certain winger we signed a few years ago who I came to know as Wellsh*t. 

Placheta has done well for the team. Runs his socks off tracking back too. Good option to have.

It's not a surprise, each time we've seen him it's been noticable that he was the stand out of this years transfer business. 

It wasn't the first time he played for us.

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Placheta has done well for the team. Runs his socks off tracking back too. Good option to have.

He was massively frustrating yesterday though.missed another sitter and then just doesn’t seem to make runs in behind or take his man on. I’d prefer to have him coming off the bench if we can get Todd fit soon or even be tempted to start Mumba in that position. 

• Like 1

News filters back to Sunderland 

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/bali-mumba-getting-talked-up.1532830/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Exactly. Placheta's not been as effective in attack as hoped, but he uses his speed for the team well when we're not in possession. He's more diligent about this than Cantwell IMO.

Placheta will improve with coaching I’m sure. Farke will work his magic 

Redmond was a bit like that, remember we used to moan about his lack of end product

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly. Placheta's not been as effective in attack as hoped, but he uses his speed for the team well when we're not in possession. He's more diligent about this than Cantwell IMO.

He was unlucky not to score in the last two games and ran himself into the ground against Bristol. I like him more than Cantwell, but Cantwell isn’t a bad option to have as back up!

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

He was massively frustrating yesterday though.missed another sitter and then just doesn’t seem to make runs in behind or take his man on. I’d prefer to have him coming off the bench if we can get Todd fit soon or even be tempted to start Mumba in that position. 

Why? It seems to be working with him in the team and having a Mumba/Cantwell/Martin option as backup.

Those saying Placheta missed sitters - do note that he's getting into position to hit them. Not to mention even if he's not taking his man on, his pace is such that a full-back can't sit in so centrally, so opens up more space for the men in the middle.

I'm not one for writing off a player early in his time at the club, and I have no idea what attributes will have been scouted or shown in training that are not quite materialising on the pitch. As a fan, I can only go on what I see and past experience.

Some players immediately show a certain level of ability which makes you take notice while others don't. Sometimes initial impressions are proved wrong but other times, no matter how many chances they have, certain players never really click with the team or system.

I would personally like to see Mumba starting ahead of Placheta on the left next match.

The great thing is Placheta knows he needs to lift his game if he starts next game as Mumba, Cantwell and Hernandez are waiting. Great to see competition for places.

• Like 1

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/bali-mumba-getting-talked-up.1532830/page-5

Sunderland slightly aggrieved that the clubs hierarchy sold him for so little. Remind me a little of Leeds as they shouldn’t be selling their talent to clubs like Norwich. A mix review. Some say he was too good to go. Some saying he weren’t that great. Time will tell. Our history with progressing youngsters i will lean towards the first. 

3 hours ago, Petriix said:

I'm not one for writing off a player early in his time at the club, and I have no idea what attributes will have been scouted or shown in training that are not quite materialising on the pitch. As a fan, I can only go on what I see and past experience.

Some players immediately show a certain level of ability which makes you take notice while others don't. Sometimes initial impressions are proved wrong but other times, no matter how many chances they have, certain players never really click with the team or system.

I would personally like to see Mumba starting ahead of Placheta on the left next match.

Just remember the initial opinions from fans is so regularly wrong. Vrancic.