Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Have some of us been too hard on Cantwell? Definitely. Does he need to check his attitude and start working harder? Probably. Is there still a decent chance he's not much more than a solid footballer who is overrated right now? Maybe.

Let Cantwell worry about Cantwell. I for one have been enjoying watching other players in the squad develop and work towards their goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

You talk about “impressions” and “sensing” but have you actually any evidence that “his main priority is himself and how well he is doing”? Which to be fair is ultimately true about most of us.

 

tl;dr - source?

To be honest no hence why I’ve used those phrases rather than putting as statements.

Edited by rock bus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, rock bus said:

To be honest no hence why I’ve used those phrases rather than putting as statements.

Whatever, do you have any actual evidence? There’s so much sh*t thrown at Todd, people seem to be thinking there’s no smoke without fire. The only fire I’m aware of is an ambiguous statement by Farke. The smoke is all the rubbish about social media, gloves and an Alice band, which proves absolutely nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I think the OP raises a decent point. Grealish has matured (a little) into a very decent player who influences almost every game he appears in. Can Cantwell do that? Not sure. I don't think his social media presence is at all relevant. He needs to show on the pitch how influential he can be. It may be that his ego took a hit when no one came in for him despite his agents apparent work to make it happen, and at 22, knuckling down to prove yourself with hard work and commitment certainly wasn't top of my list.

I trust Farke to understand him and his motivations. When he gets picked I expect him to give everything. If he doesn't, not only will he not turn into Grealish, he will end up in League Two on loan.

This is in part what I am getting at, if we don't back him and make him feel loved or give him that security of feeling like this is his club and wants to play for us and give it all for us then we never get to see him hit those heights as Grealish has , or not atleast wearing green and yellow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

This is in part what I am getting at, if we don't back him and make him feel loved or give him that security of feeling like this is his club and wants to play for us and give it all for us then we never get to see him hit those heights as Grealish has , or not atleast wearing green and yellow 

You do know he is 22 and not 12 i hope ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have absolutely no doubt that come January if we receive an offer that meets our valuation, Todd will be sold.

Unfortunately there's too much water under the bridge and a move would be best for both club and player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Don’t forget the similar sock game they both have as well

Something tells me Uncle Fred’s sock game is far stronger

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

You do know he is 22 and not 12 i hope ?

What is it about policeman and their humour...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I have absolutely no doubt that come January if we receive an offer that meets our valuation, Todd will be sold.

Unfortunately there's too much water under the bridge and a move would be best for both club and player.

I think there is much more going on behind the scenes than any of us know, and that the club is giving him space to sort out some issues which may be impacting his performances. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think there is much more going on behind the scenes than any of us know, and that the club is giving him space to sort out some issues which may be impacting his performances. 

That sounds fair, seeing as we dont actually  know. Just shows the haters in a very poor light. There again , they do that well enough  for themselves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think there is much more going on behind the scenes than any of us know, and that the club is giving him space to sort out some issues which may be impacting his performances. 

I agree, Teemu - I have had my own suspicions of this from reading between the lines and it could well be something unrelated to football for all we know... so.... some people need to understand the word SUPPORT and pack in their childish digs and pettiness towards one of our own - I can assure that small handful of people guilty of this that it paints them in a far worse light than it does young Todd. In fact, it comes across in the smaller minority of cases quite simply as bullying. Sad.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

What is it about policeman and their humour...

on this showing, not much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I agree, Teemu - I have had my own suspicions of this from reading between the lines and it could well be something unrelated to football for all we know... so.... some people need to understand the word SUPPORT and pack in their childish digs and pettiness towards one of our own - I can assure that small handful of people guilty of this that it paints them in a far worse light than it does young Todd. In fact, it comes across in the smaller minority of cases quite simply as bullying. Sad.

 

38 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

That sounds fair, seeing as we dont actually  know. Just shows the haters in a very poor light. There again , they do that well enough  for themselves.

Could be depression, could be grieving for somebody, could want to come out, could have a health problem like crones or something. Could be literally anything. 

They'll be relentless against Cantwell to the extent that, like you say, it is tantamount to bullying (and I've already admitted that I went in hard against Cantwell when I thought he was forcing a Leeds move, but not persistently, was more of a short period of rage). 

Then i bet these same harassers will all be supporting MIND fundraisers at work, or sympathising with their mates when they lose their dad on facebook, or praising the latest player to come back from crones like Darren Fletcher and Russell Martin, or saying how great it would be to get a Justin Fashanu statue.

We had the initial hint that Cantwell wasn't focused a while ago, I really think everybody should just wait and see how things develop, I'm taking the "ankle injury" to be a sign that the club may be trying to take the heat off of Cantwell or giving him some space, and that means jumping right off the old bash Cantwell horse unless Farke and Webber come out and say something which suggests he's worthy of bashing.

I'd put my money on him not being in the right frame of mind and the club supporting him through that, he's just a human and footballer is just a job, we all have colleagues who have to have a break from work for various reasons. I've got a colleague off on compassionate leave due to a bereavement, I've got another off with stress/anxiety.

For some reason people believe that footballers become automatically immune to hardships just because they don't have money worries (although some have those two, if they get caught up in bad investments or gambling).

What if, for example, our club ever had a player who developed a bad gambling problem. Would we chastise them and make them an outcast and throw them to the wolves? I think your right to do that disappears as soon as you take a seven figure sum to advertise a gambling company on front of that players shirt. Instead you'd have a morale obligation to try and help them. 

Who on earth knows what's going on with Cantwell, but I do know that I miss seeing him playing on that left hand side so good luck to him and the club in resolving it. Could well just be an ankle injury of course! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know nothing about what he might or might not be going through outside of his employment, i equally know nothing about his attitude in training, i dont know if he 'loves the club' or not and for certain i don't know if he actively looked for a new club over summer.

But, damnit that won't stop me expessing an opinion on each in the strongest manner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever may be going on with Todd, he may find that getting back into the team isn't going to be as easy as showing he's ready to go again. A few eyebrows were raised when Bali Mumba was put on as a sub instead of Todd last week, and today BM has a blinder. The club creates opportunities for players, and whoever takes it is the one that retains the shirt. No favorites, just as it should be. Looking forward to how Todd responds. 

Edited by Surfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both players are ignorant little pr!cks who think they're alot better than what they really are 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Ward 3 said:

Both players are ignorant little pr!cks who think they're alot better than what they really are 

You come across as a nicely balanced and compassionate fella yourself, I must say.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of what we think or know or what little we know, Farke and Webber have hinted that Cantwell hasn’t conducted himself in a good way, be ill advised by agent or something else.

I still think he’s one hell of a talent, he showed it last year, looked like he’d push on this season, but he’s made more impact on social media than on this team this year! Still say he needs a mentor or family member to sit him down and reset his sights, he could be better than Maddison and Grealish, he won’t if he doesn’t get on the pitch.

Edited by Indy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

You come across as a nicely balanced and compassionate fella yourself, I must say.

Good to hear buddy. Im glad I do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Indy said:

Regardless of what we think or know or what little we know, Farke and Webber have hinted that Cantwell hasn’t conducted himself in a good way, be ill advised by agent or something else.

They did, but then they wound that in and now seem to be taking a different tact.

It could be that this period led to discussions or a confrontation which has changed the situation somewhat. 

Just as a complete example, they might have assumed Cantwell just wanted to force a move to Leeds for money.

It may have transpired that although that was part of the equation, Cantwell was also having a rough time with some other element in his life and possibly one which was a factor in him being desperate to leave the club at that time.

Nothing is ever black and white, now where did I hear that recently 😉

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

You come across as a nicely balanced and compassionate fella yourself, I must say.

That's an impressively subtle way of calling somebody a pr!ck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

 

Just as a complete example, they might have assumed Cantwell just wanted to force a move to Leeds for money.

 

That is not the situation at all. Norwich placed a value on each of their most saleable players. The specified figures were offered for Ben and Jamal, so they departed. In Todd's case, the valuation was not matched. Same with Emi.

All of the players understood this, and accepted it. (Not that they had much choice). They knew it was fair.

So your speculation is miles off and smacks of gratuitous vindictiveness. Todd's head has been turned, no doubt. So would mine have been. A bit like dreaming of winning the lottery, except that it would have been the culmination of years of hard work (unlike the lottery).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pugin said:

That is not the situation at all. Norwich placed a value on each of their most saleable players. The specified figures were offered for Ben and Jamal, so they departed. In Todd's case, the valuation was not matched. Same with Emi.

All of the players understood this, and accepted it. (Not that they had much choice). They knew it was fair.

So your speculation is miles off and smacks of gratuitous vindictiveness. Todd's head has been turned, no doubt. So would mine have been. A bit like dreaming of winning the lottery, except that it would have been the culmination of years of hard work (unlike the lottery).

Way to completely take all of the context out of my post. I'm assuming you've done that vindictively, and not because you are thick. Did you actually read my posts? How on earth have you come to the conclusion that I'm being gratuitously vindictive? 

If you don't have the comprehension to read between the lines of my contributions to this thread... e.g. 

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think there is much more going on behind the scenes than any of us know, and that the club is giving him space to sort out some issues which may be impacting his performances. 

Then I'll do what I was attempting to avoid doing directly and state clearly, that I am simply speculating that Cantwell may be out of the side with problems which are not physical but mental, and that I simply think people should get off his back and just leave him alone as a result.

ps. Stop trying to make out that you are some sort of ITK Pugin, the club runs a tight ship and nobody is going to believe you have dressing room insider as a source, there's a good lad.

3 hours ago, Pugin said:

All of the players understood this, and accepted it. They knew it was fair.

 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Way to completely take all of the context out of my post. I'm assuming you've done that vindictively, and not because you are thick. Did you actually read my posts? How on earth have you come to the conclusion that I'm being gratuitously vindictive? Go back and read my four f*cking posts on this thread before coming at me. 

If you don't have the comprehension to read between the lines of my contributions to this thread... e.g. 

Then I'll do what I was attempting to avoid doing directly and state clearly, that I am simply speculating that Cantwell may be out of the side with problems which are not physical but mental, and that I simply think people should get off his back and just leave him alone as a result.

You have serious reading comprehension issues if you've actually read my posts on this thread come to the conclusion that I'm on the wrong side of this argument. Try reading them again. 

ps. Stop trying to make out that you are some sort of ITK Pugin, the club runs a tight ship and nobody is going to believe you have dressing room insider as a source, there's a good lad.

 

Youre so boring. You do think you know it all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Youre so boring. 

From you I'll take that as a massive compliment. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Way to completely take all of the context out of my post. I'm assuming you've done that vindictively, and not because you are thick. Did you actually read my posts? How on earth have you come to the conclusion that I'm being gratuitously vindictive? 

If you don't have the comprehension to read between the lines of my contributions to this thread... e.g. 

Then I'll do what I was attempting to avoid doing directly and state clearly, that I am simply speculating that Cantwell may be out of the side with problems which are not physical but mental, and that I simply think people should get off his back and just leave him alone as a result.

ps. Stop trying to make out that you are some sort of ITK Pugin, the club runs a tight ship and nobody is going to believe you have dressing room insider as a source, there's a good lad.

 

I really didn't mean to cause the degree of offence that you took. And I did read and screen shot your original reply about your brother, cousins, S/wall charity walk, and all the rest, before it was edited.

I don't come on here to cause offence to anyone, I just jump to the keyboard when I see things that I know are daft, and in particular when I see things which I think are damaging. I guess we all do. So please accept my apologies

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really looking forward to having Cantwell back in our side, he's an upgrade on Placheta and a class player at this level. 

But Grealish is simply a higher level of player, he's on the same tier as Maddison.

Cantwell is perhaps on the same tier as Snodgrass over the years, and that's not an insult because Snodgrass is a very good player and Premier League standard.

If Cantwell was Scottish, Welsh or Irish he'd be an International player and win lots of caps. But he's never going to compete with Maddison and Grealish for England caps. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very fair comment TVB. He’s still got some time to develop though; this year he should be aiming to make the Norwich no 10 shirt his own as see where he goes from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...