Decemberists

Soto Work Permit

Would a potential USA cap give us the Soto work permit?

And if so is there any grounds for January recall on his loan? 

But wouldn’t want Soto and Idah stifling each other’s development/game time too much...

Edited by Decemberists

29 minutes ago, Decemberists said:

Would a potential USA cap give us us the Soto work permit?

And if so is there any grounds for January recall on his loan? 

But wouldn’t want Soto and Idah stifling each other’s development/game time too much...

I’m not too clued you on work permits, but didn’t it need to be 3/4 of international caps within the year? 

3 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I’m not too clued you on work permits, but didn’t it need to be 3/4 of international caps within the year? 

Oh that is a bit more of a hurdle! Hopefully he gets a chance to make an impression and stick in their squad.

7 minutes ago, Decemberists said:

Oh that is a bit more of a hurdle! Hopefully he gets a chance to make an impression and stick in their squad.

I don’t know if that’s the case these days, I read he will need to play some games, but I cannot specify how many. The rules have probably changed since I last read them

• Like 1

It depends on their Fifa ranking too. some need more and some need less caps. 

• Like 1

It's in USA's interest for him to come back to City and impress at a high level. Hopefully a few late sub appearances will fulfill the requirements.

I just checked the rules - with Soto aged 20, and USA being ranked 22 currently, he would need to appear in 60% of USA's matches during the preceding year to obtain an endorsement on a work permit. So presumably could be eligible at end of season.

This gets muddied a bit by his age, as 21 or over and it becomes over the previous 2 years. He turns 21 in July 2021.

If USA were to move up above 20th in the rankings, then the requirement drops to 45% of matches over 2 years (one year if U21).

https://latitudelaw.com/news/the-fas-policy-on-non-eu-football-players-and-possible-implications-following-brexit/

Edited by kick it off

Friendlies don't count in normal times - though in these abnormal times there might be a bit of flex. That said, if he forces his way into a regular starting place there's competitive games enough in a busy spring and summer for the USA for there to be a realistic chance of him being at the Carra next season. Absolute master stroke, presumably by by Mr Webber, if it comes off; if  not what a visionary punt this will have been.

I think we're getting a bit carried away here, he might turn out to be a good player but he's not played much competitive football in his career so far.

22 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

I think we're getting a bit carried away here, he might turn out to be a good player but he's not played much competitive football in his career so far.

That's the crux of it really.

We all have a tendency to get excited about all these youngsters without really knowing too much about them.

It's partly a healthy optimism that all fan's feel about their club's up-coming youth and it's always been that way.

It can, to a significant extent, be justified/warranted nowadays due to our management and scouting teams being particularly diligent and active in this area. It's the ingrained club policy now and it hitherto seems to be bringing unparalleled success to the point that it's an exciting time to be a City supporter. Especially as it's difficult not to have faith in their activities. This is, of course, all enhanced by the ever increasing impressiveness of the infrastructure and facilities made available for these youngsters at Colney, where it seems that no stone is left unturned in order to provide the ultimate environment for them to realise their potential to the full.

The list of promising youngsters is so long (we currently have nearly twenty players loaned out, mostly youth) that it becomes difficult to lose track. Never before has this been the case.

They won't all live up to expectations though and whilst this is to be expected we must be stringent in keeping our feet on the ground in order not to get carried away.

This boy has hardly had much genuine game time and even Bali Mumba, who seems to have already become a superstar on the basis of one impressive cameo against tiring defenders, in reality needs more exposure before he can be genuinely assessed.

Fawemno, the two on loan in Holland, Sutti and Sinani and quite a few others are being hyped up on a regular basis when no one, no layman, could really know where they will be in one year's time.

I'm not putting a dampener on things intentionally. It's GREAT!   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Cracking couple of headed goals.  Looks to be an improvement on Hugill any road.

If you put Hugill in that side against Panama I'd back him to score a brace. 

On 17/11/2020 at 11:48, BroadstairsR said:

That's the crux of it really.

We all have a tendency to get excited about all these youngsters without really knowing too much about them.

It's partly a healthy optimism that all fan's feel about their club's up-coming youth and it's always been that way.

It can, to a significant extent, be justified/warranted nowadays due to our management and scouting teams being particularly diligent and active in this area. It's the ingrained club policy now and it hitherto seems to be bringing unparalleled success to the point that it's an exciting time to be a City supporter. Especially as it's difficult not to have faith in their activities. This is, of course, all enhanced by the ever increasing impressiveness of the infrastructure and facilities made available for these youngsters at Colney, where it seems that no stone is left unturned in order to provide the ultimate environment for them to realise their potential to the full.

The list of promising youngsters is so long (we currently have nearly twenty players loaned out, mostly youth) that it becomes difficult to lose track. Never before has this been the case.

They won't all live up to expectations though and whilst this is to be expected we must be stringent in keeping our feet on the ground in order not to get carried away.

This boy has hardly had much genuine game time and even Bali Mumba, who seems to have already become a superstar on the basis of one impressive cameo against tiring defenders, in reality needs more exposure before he can be genuinely assessed.

Fawemno, the two on loan in Holland, Sutti and Sinani and quite a few others are being hyped up on a regular basis when no one, no layman, could really know where they will be in one year's time.

I'm not putting a dampener on things intentionally. It's GREAT!   

Fun to see if you can predict which of the current crop will be the most successful of the new young signings though, Broady. Soto and Mumba for me by a country mile, but we’ll see - I actually felt that before Mumba’s cameo the other day. He was fantastic against Luton and that had stuck in the mind ever since so his sub appearance the other day shouldn’t surprise any of us after his debut performance against a full strength fellow Championship side.

Both players you can already see have just got that extra 10%, and quite likely more. Obvious with Maddison, obvious with these 2 imho.