I think Rupp has looked really good until he gets to the final third.  In the middle of the pitch and defensively, he's offering a lot and he deserves his place in the side.  I think he can be effective in the final third but he seems to lose all the confidence he has when he gets into good attacking positions.  Hopefully the more he plays, the more end product he can find because he's doing a really job at getting up and down, while actually having an impact on the game and isn't just running around looking busy.  He is breaking up play really well while at the same time linking the defence to the forwards.  I will always praise players who show for the ball and don't hide away.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

I think Rupp has looked really good until he gets to the final third.  In the middle of the pitch and defensively, he's offering a lot and he deserves his place in the side.  I think he can be effective in the final third but he seems to lose all the confidence he has when he gets into good attacking positions.  Hopefully the more he plays, the more end product he can find because he's doing a really job at getting up and down, while actually having an impact on the game and isn't just running around looking busy.  He is breaking up play really well while at the same time linking the defence to the forwards.  I will always praise players who show for the ball and don't hide away.

I think that is what I was getting at in my op. Thanks for putting it better than I did.

1 hour ago, seanthecanary said:

Often he starts to run forward with the ball when there are attacking players in good positions he could pass to.

He doesn't run fast so by the time he's covered 15-20 metres, the defence has closed him down and the move fizzled out to nothing. 

An early pass through to the attacking players would be a better option. 

33 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Often he starts to run forward with the ball when there are attacking players in good positions he could pass to.

He doesn't run fast so by the time he's covered 15-20 metres, the defence has closed him down and the move fizzled out to nothing. 

An early pass through to the attacking players would be a better option. 

Whilst someone is carrying the ball as well as Rupp does, it's the attacking players jobs to drop and move into positions of space - Pukki does this very well and benefits from Rupp carrying the ball - and they all benefit from how high up the pitch Rupp wins the ball back.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I think that is what I was getting at in my op. Thanks for putting it better than I did.

I thought your op was pretty fair. I'm hoping that the more he plays with Pukki et all, he'll get on their wavelength, provide a couple of assists, maybe grab a goal or two and his confidence will improve further forward. I think we just need to be patient in that respect. He's still not been in the country a year yet and it's only in the 8 games or so this season that he's been played in his best position. I think we can to some extent disregard last season. New league, new country, new club and new players to gel with. Its not like he came into side riding high on confidence either, he got thrown in at the deep end and didn't have time to adapt. It didn't help that most of the time he was asked to "do a job" further forward and it's clear now that's not where to play him. All in all though, he's made a promising start to the season and for me, he'd be my first name on the team sheet for a central role at present. 

Edited by seanthecanary
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doomcaster said:

Last season thought he was poor - in the Championship he is very very good, and now found his level

Nothing to do with him playing in his correct position then I guess

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doomcaster said:

Last season thought he was poor - in the Championship he is very very good, and now found his level

This is often said by people who strangely like to forget the very good performances he put in against the likes of Spurs on his debut, despite playing out of position. 

1 hour ago, seanthecanary said:

I thought your op was pretty fair.

I tried to be fair, but you do wonder when an otherwise reasonable poster labels an attempt to discuss something  as "ridiculous".

My overall impression is that he is good at what he does but has not reached his best yet - that there is more to come from him. If one of his long shots goes in, he'll become a bit more relaxed about shooting as it is - and it is only my impression - is that he is trying to hard when shooting.  Confidence is there as a player, but the icing on the cake of a goal or two will make him relax a bit more and make him even better. 

Edited by lake district canary

Really did not fancy Rupp last season at all

Must eat humble pie - he is getting better and better in midfield every match he plays

Much better than McClean - as a tidy & progressive passer of the ball, & also willing to put in a tackle now & again (still perhaps a bit small & lightweight) ?

Rupp - Championship looks his level to do well

McClean - looks to still be trying to find his level of quality ...

OTBC

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I tried to be fair, but you do wonder when an otherwise reasonable poster labels an attempt to discuss something  as "ridiculous".

My overall impression is that he is good at what he does but has not reached his best yet - that there is more to come from him. If one of his long shots goes in, he'll become a bit more relaxed about shooting as it is - and it is only my impression - is that he is trying to hard when shooting.  Confidence is there as a player, but the icing on the cake of a goal or two will make him relax a bit more and make him even better. 

I don't think you've said anything harsh or anything that Rupp/Farke haven't noticed themselves either. I'm sure Rupp himself knows he can do better when in more advanced positions 

55 minutes ago, Doomcaster said:

Really did not fancy Rupp last season at all

Must eat humble pie - he is getting better and better in midfield every match he plays

Much better than McClean - as a tidy & progressive passer of the ball, & also willing to put in a tackle now & again (still perhaps a bit small & lightweight) ?

Rupp - Championship looks his level to do well

McClean - looks to still be trying to find his level of quality ...

OTBC

I think what Rupp is adding is a level of consistency to that central area. We’ve had mcclean put in some magnificent performances but not on a regular basis. If Rupp adds a few goals he’s going to be hard to dislodge from that spot.

Not so much an anti rupp post but,

When at home especially, and when a team similar to Millwall's level and clear game plan of keeping it tight and defending deep I'm blocks (saw it at Rotherham aswell)

Is it pointless to play both rupp and  Skipp. Basically why have the 2 defensive midfielders? Is it not better to have 4 1 41 and that could accommodate Marco or mario or Todd. 

Some of us would like a second striker instead but farke clearly prefers one up top. I just feel that in this league, why do we need two defensive midfielders at home especially. 

3 hours ago, chicken said:

This is often said by people who strangely like to forget the very good performances he put in against the likes of Spurs on his debut, despite playing out of position. 

He was not good last season. He just wasn't.

For the stats lovers-he averaged a goal every 545 minutes and an assist every 636 minutes in the Bundesliga, and a goal every 461 minutes and an assist every 576 minutes in the Bundesliga 2. So he’s never been prolific.

He played 698 minutes in the Premiership and he’s played 674 minutes in the Championship.

He’s 29 years old so he isn’t going to develop much more, if at all.

So maybe he underperformed when he first joined-new team, new country, out of position and in a team with no confidence.

And maybe he’s slightly underperformed by those stats this season too-but I’m happy with the way he is playing-and more importantly, I think DF is too.

Anyway, what are the odds on him getting a goal and an assist on Saturday to continue his average? 👍

28 minutes ago, king canary said:

He was not good last season. He just wasn't.

He actually had some very good moments last season before the lockdown. He had several good shots on goal, similar to what he is doing now.

3 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

Not so much an anti rupp post but,

When at home especially, and when a team similar to Millwall's level and clear game plan of keeping it tight and defending deep I'm blocks (saw it at Rotherham aswell)

Is it pointless to play both rupp and  Skipp. Basically why have the 2 defensive midfielders? Is it not better to have 4 1 41 and that could accommodate Marco or mario or Todd. 

Some of us would like a second striker instead but farke clearly prefers one up top. I just feel that in this league, why do we need two defensive midfielders at home especially. 

Winning the ball high up the pitch is Rupp's job and that in it's self gives us a chance to open up the opposition whilst they temporarily lose organisation and shape. I wouldn't call him defensive either, combative for me. Very rarely do you see Rupp and Skipp side by side in the middle of the pitch sitting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

He actually had some very good moments last season before the lockdown. He had several good shots on goal, similar to what he is doing now.

Agreed. Rupp was often in the midst of some of our better team performances during that wretched spell. Utd in the cup, away to Newcastle, home to Liverpool.

2 hours ago, chicken said:

Agree to disagree i guess- I thought he looked consistently out of his depth and lost.

5 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I would suggest if we get back up to the top league he will be far more effective than he was last season. 

As long as he's played in his natural role, yes. He wasn't last season because of Farke's blind faith in an interior player. 

Rupp is the McLean upgrade we needed.

It would probably help if he was told to 

1) Get the ball.

2) Give it to Emi.

3) Stay away from the attacking areas.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Agree to disagree i guess- I thought he looked consistently out of his depth and lost.

At times, yes, not all of the time.

And that, it has to be said, is after joining in January, and being part of a team where the vast majority of it were looking out of the depth at times, especially in project restart.

2 hours ago, Number9 said:

It would probably help if he was told to 

1) Get the ball.

2) Give it to Emi.

3) Stay away from the attacking areas.

Rupp being in attacking areas is pretty vital for our build up and overloading of offensive areas of the pitch - and he does it very, very well whilst having the mobility to get back into position too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agreed. Rupp was often in the midst of some of our better team performances during that wretched spell. Utd in the cup, away to Newcastle, home to Liverpool.

Spurs as well. It’s a classic example why a player should always at least be given some time and patience before categorically deciding whether he’s a awful player or not. I’d be very confident that Drmic, with a little love received and confidence, would probably be terrific at this level too. Fortunately it doesn’t look like we need him at this stage, but he will always remain the great unknown for me.

Edited by Alex Moss
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Rupp being in attacking areas is pretty vital for our build up and overloading of offensive areas of the pitch - and he does it very, very well whilst having the mobility to get back into position too.

You have to remember that we watch the games too, what you're saying is what you'd like to have happened, it doesn't really reflect what has happened. 

8 minutes ago, Number9 said:

You have to remember that we watch the games too, what you're saying is what you'd like to have happened, it doesn't really reflect what has happened. 

You'll find the huge majority disagree with you.

Perhaps whilst you're watching the games, you should open your eyes?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You'll find the huge majority disagree with you.

Perhaps whilst you're watching the games, you should open your eyes?

eg Rupp is jogging forward with the ball while four City players are in good advanced positions. He chooses not to pass but keeps jogging forward, trips over the defenders and loses the ball. 

The players in advanced positions rolling their eyes.

It happens quite often. 

Chris Goreham and Hoggy say Rupp with a spectacular driving run, the players who were wanting a pass would describe it differently. 

At times he's a water carrier who doesn't want to hand over the water.

He has improved since playing regularly in the centre and he does break up more opposition moves than he used to, but his limitations have an enormous impact on the advanced players. 

A bit like Tettey in that he would look a better player if he won the ball and  passed it sooner rather than trying to join in playing football. 

14 minutes ago, Number9 said:

eg Rupp is jogging forward with the ball while four City players are in good advanced positions. He chooses not to pass but keeps jogging forward, trips over the defenders and loses the ball. 

The players in advanced positions rolling their eyes.

It happens quite often. 

Chris Goreham and Hoggy say Rupp with a spectacular driving run, the players who were wanting a pass would describe it differently. 

At times he's a water carrier who doesn't want to hand over the water.

He has improved since playing regularly in the centre and he does break up more opposition moves than he used to, but his limitations have an enormous impact on the advanced players. 

A bit like Tettey in that he would look a better player if he won the ball and  passed it sooner rather than trying to join in playing football. 

The problem is what you're desribing very rarely happens and its backed up by the stats.