2. Bringing on Mario VrancicĀ 

3. Taking off Rupp

4. Going two up front

5. Pushing Max Aarons further forward

6. Making us more attackingĀ 

7. Using Hugill as a Plan B

8. Going for it more

Today none of 1-8 worked in any way.

How manyĀ cry out repeatedly every gameĀ for such things? How many recogniseĀ when actually doing nothing is the best option?

ParmaĀ 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Farkeā€™s substitutions wereĀ a disgrace today.Ā 

Today vs Millwall he disrupted our dominance of the game via the following:

1. Bringing on another striker

3. Taking off Rupp

4. Going two up front

8. Going for it more

How manyĀ cry out repeatedly every gameĀ for such things? How many recogniseĀ when actually doing nothing is the best option?

ParmaĀ 

Yet he was applauded for the same subs last game

Sometimes Farke makes a sub and we win.

Sometimes Farke makes a sub and we don't win.

Sometimes Farke does nothingĀ andĀ we win.

Sometimes Farke does nothingĀ and we don't win.

Sometimes Farke eats baked beansĀ and we win.

Sometimes Farke eats baked beansĀ and we don't win.

I am the walrus.Ā 

OTBC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

3. Taking off Rupp

4. Going two up front

8. Going for it more

ParmaĀ 

Pretty much agree with all but #2. Vrancic - but he should have come on but a lot earlier to find his feet. You can't expect a player to come on and influence the game & score goals immediately. Rupp would have been the last player I'd have taken off (along with Pukki).

27 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

3. Taking off Rupp

4. Going two up front

8. Going for it more

ParmaĀ 

There is a middle ground between 'doing nothing' and triple sub with a major change of formation.'

Tonight seemed to be crying out for Mario but less so for Hugill or McLean. Also not sure why you'd bring on a player like Hugill and then have Skipp playing wing back.

Couldnā€™t you have added this to the thread mentioning how good Farkes subs had been so far Ā ? 1 in 8 sounds about right this year 8 games he got it right, 1 he got wrong.

9 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Never had Parma down as a fisherman.

Too much Canary Call can do that to a man...šŸ¤£

...not fishing...ā€™shooting a few canardsā€™ ...as my wise old man would say ....šŸ¤—āš½ļø...

...are we learning anything yet?...šŸ‘Œāš½ļø

ParmaĀ 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy

It is important that fans eventually realise that actively not changing in a match is as much a decision as making a change.Ā 

Its not happened since I've been watching football so not expecting it to suddenly change now unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Sometimes Farke makes a sub and we win.

Sometimes Farke makes a sub and we don't win.

Sometimes Farke does nothingĀ andĀ we win.

Sometimes Farke does nothingĀ and we don't win.

Sometimes Farke eats baked beansĀ and we win.

Sometimes Farke eats baked beansĀ and we don't win.

I am the walrus.Ā 

OTBC

Everytime Parma's knowledge of the game is superior to us plebs.

Ā 

Ā 

Strange one today, he usually gets it right. the substitutions today were very uncharacteristic for Farke. It didn't affect the result in the end thankfully, it was highly unlikely we would have scored with the starting 11 on the pitch but there was virtually no chance weĀ would we have conceded, after the subs we looked very likely to concede when Milwall broke on us and our whole set up became disjointed and the players looked visibly confused.

Farke is usually more measured than what we saw tonight. I don't think there's any pressure on him from the fans or the board so I can't really explain it.Ā 

Ā 

I'm not one who calls for subs for the sake of subs. I like that Farke usually uses subs intelligently, but I was worried as soon as they announced those 3 subs coming on. We had total control of the game, that we couldn't score was down to Milwalls defending, it wasn't a tactical or personal issue.Ā The solution to breaking down an 8 man deep defence who were playing very wellĀ was either a few world class players or a Benteke in his prime/Crouch/Mitrovic type player to jump highest and head in a cross or set piece, we don't have any players like that so I'm not sure the manager could have done anything with his option to increase our chances of scoring.Ā 

Ā 

Millwall approached this game as if they were playing one of the best teams in the world. Ridiculous really when you think about it, just a few years ago this would have been seen as ultra negative anti football. But the game has changed, this tactic is now pretty commonplace. It's very, very hard to break down if every opposition defender is switched on and motivated for the whole game like Millwall were today. Subs were never going to make a difference. I only hope Farke learns from his rashness today because it very nearly cost us in the end.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Never had Parma down as a fisherman.

.....I used to like his Violets when I was a kidĀ thoughĀ šŸ˜‹

9 hours ago, king canary said:

There is a middle ground between 'doing nothing' and triple sub with a major change of formation.'

Tonight seemed to be crying out for Mario but less so for Hugill or McLean. Also not sure why you'd bring on a player like Hugill and then have Skipp playing wing back.

Well, hang on a minute. It wouldnt take 5 minutes to find posts last season about how Farke never changes shape, only makes one sub, etc etc.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well, hang on a minute. It wouldnt take 5 minutes to find posts last season about how Farke never changes shape, only makes one sub, etc etc.

Ā 

People see what they alwaysĀ see, which is what they want to see, which is what they do see.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

The more they want it to be true, the better they get at internally editing the world around them to fit their comfortable neural pathways.Ā 

Can you see what you donā€™t want to see...Ā What you donā€™t agree with..what discomforts you? ...I am almost certainĀ that Farke can....šŸ¤—

Parma

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy

A small point, but no one is immune from confirmation basis...........even those who claim they are.

And while I'm here, playing Skipp at right wing back and taking Rupp off were both stupid moves. IĀ love Farke, but the man's not infallible.

15 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Pretty much agree with all but #2. Vrancic - but he should have come on but a lot earlier to find his feet. You can't expect a player to come on and influence the game & score goals immediately. Rupp would have been the last player I'd have taken off (along with Pukki).

Not Krul???

The change of formation, and pushing 3 players out of position for the last 20 minutes was ridiculous alongside 3 subs.Ā 

Killed our momentum.Ā 

And taking off Rupp, who anyone with a brain could see was our most influential player, was just weird.Ā 

Edited by Jerrykerry

13 hours ago, C.I.D said:

.....I used to like his Violets when I was a kidĀ thoughĀ šŸ˜‹

You might like Brothersā€™ Parma Violets flavoured cider then. Although it sounds vile to me. Their Toffee Apple and Strawberries and Cream flavours are just about potable but very sweet.

Not beyond the realms of possibility that Rupp was feeling a bit of fatigue or a twinge etc.....if that was the case then with another game Saturday why take the risk?Ā 

As for the subs I suspect it came from a gut feeling like many of his selections and subs do, didnā€™t come off this time but if Gibson puts that late header in then Farkeā€™s a genius. Fine margins etc.Ā 

• Like 1