Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

OT petition for golf during lockdown

Any golfers out there? Please sign. Thanks  

During the last lockdown it was sad that we could walk, run etc but not golf, even though it was extremely easy to socially distance eg playing in households with tee times 10 mins apart  

Petition: Exempt golf courses from the list of venues required to close due to Covid-19
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/309851

1 hour ago, Canary Jedi said:

Any golfers out there? Please sign. Thanks  

During the last lockdown it was sad that we could walk, run etc but not golf, even though it was extremely easy to socially distance eg playing in households with tee times 10 mins apart  

Petition: Exempt golf courses from the list of venues required to close due to Covid-19
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/309851

Done, thanks for link!

• Like 1

Done...........can't understand the logic of shutting courses. Outside activity, easily social distanced.

• Like 1

Signed it ...............but under the rule of meeting only 1 person from outside your own household then the chances of golf clubs keeping open are slim to non-existent tbh.

........I'm sure that if they are allowed to remain open then there'll be plenty of criticism of favoritism for some so-called 'priveleged few' as believe or not there are plenty out there who equate membership of a golf club in the same 'elitist/rich man' bracket as fox-hunting 🙄

Edited by C.I.D
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, C.I.D said:

Signed it ...............but chances of golf clubs keeping open are slim to non-existent tbh.

........and believe or not there are plenty out there who equate membership of a golf club in the same 'elitist/rich man' bracket as fox-hunting 🙄

Tennis is more elite than golf in my opinion, if you want your kid to be any good you have to pay for hitting partners - extortionate. 

But that reputation isn't entirely undeserved with either sport, don't see golf pros coming out of Brixton or Toxteth do you. 

Still, I will sign the petition, as long as they can find a way to avoid anybody having to enter a building/clubhouse other than to use the bogs then I don't see the problem. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Tennis is more elite than golf in my opinion, if you want your kid to be any good you have to pay for hitting partners - extortionate. 

But that reputation isn't entirely undeserved with either sport, don't see golf pros coming out of Brixton or Toxteth do you. 

Still, I will sign the petition, as long as they can find a way to avoid anybody having to enter a building/clubhouse other than to use the bogs then I don't see the problem. 

Fair point but these days such sports are not just the preserve of the rich and pampered.......

As long as you promise to ensure all the flagpoles are disinfected after each hole, I'll sign.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, C.I.D said:

Fair point but these days such sports are not just the preserve of the rich and pampered.......

I’m not rich or pampered , and play golf mostly on the 9 hole course at Bury - so not even a member of a Club . Signed! 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

As long as you promise to ensure all the flagpoles are disinfected after each hole, I'll sign.

They've not been touched Fuzzar. For months! Not permitted anymore.

1 hour ago, C.I.D said:

but under the rule of meeting only 1 person from outside your own household

I thought there was no mixing other than for reasons of care etc ?

2 hours ago, C.I.D said:

Signed it ...............but under the rule of meeting only 1 person from outside your own household then the chances of golf clubs keeping open are slim to non-existent tbh.

........I'm sure that if they are allowed to remain open then there'll be plenty of criticism of favoritism for some so-called 'priveleged few' as believe or not there are plenty out there who equate membership of a golf club in the same 'elitist/rich man' bracket as fox-hunting 🙄

Thanks for signing but golf is not elitist in financial terms.    For about £750 a year you get as much golf as you like plus competition and usually a good social group.    If you play once a week that’s 4 hours plus entertainment x say 40.   160 hours plus!    Compare that with a season ticket cost x 36 hours.    

Having both may be a privilege rather than elitist!    

The golf clubhouse doesn’t need to be open as long as the course is!    

4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I thought there was no mixing other than for reasons of care etc ?

• "Meeting indoors or in private gardens will not be allowed, but individuals can meet one other person from another household outside in a public place"

Whether a golf course is considered a 'public' place is open to interpretation .............

Either way,they're going to be shut from Thursday with no argument now 😒

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Thanks for signing but golf is not elitist in financial terms.    For about £750 a year you get as much golf as you like plus competition and usually a good social group.    If you play once a week that’s 4 hours plus entertainment x say 40.   160 hours plus!    Compare that with a season ticket cost x 36 hours.    

I think the reputation comes from being one of those sports that cost a lot of money to become competitive at as a participant. 

As in, supporting your 9 year old in pursuing his dream of becoming a gold pro, or tennis pro, rather than how much it costs you to go and play a few rounds twice a month.

Its elitist in that sense, in that its not a typical sport for a kid from a lower working class family. 

Jermaine Pennant was never going to become a tennis player or golf pro was he, his options were probably football, boxing or track and field. 

The reputation doesn't come from it only costing middle class men a couple of grand a year to play as a hobby. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

..... and for juniors it’s very cheap!   Usually less than £100 a year in our area.   Some clubs don’t  even charge primary age!   

Yes and Tennis is free in the local park.

You are missing the point of why it is considered elitist, it isn't about whether you can take it up in your spare time. Its about the socio-economic background of those who play it professionally.

Signed. Our tennis club is currently waiting to see if we can still keep the courts open in Wymondham - fundamentally its easy to social distance and I'll be hugely frustrated if I can't play, we only had a singles tournament today!

• Like 2

I messaged my mate when I first heard of the lockdown saying we'd have to get down the driving range this month. Was totally shocked to see even thats banned, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. An individual outdoor sport.

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think the reputation comes from being one of those sports that cost a lot of money to become competitive at as a participant. 

As in, supporting your 9 year old in pursuing his dream of becoming a gold pro, or tennis pro, rather than how much it costs you to go and play a few rounds twice a month.

Its elitist in that sense, in that its not a typical sport for a kid from a lower working class family. 

Jermaine Pennant was never going to become a tennis player or golf pro was he, his options were probably football, boxing or track and field. 

The reputation doesn't come from it only costing middle class men a couple of grand a year to play as a hobby. 

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yes and Tennis is free in the local park.

You are missing the point of why it is considered elitist, it isn't about whether you can take it up in your spare time. Its about the socio-economic background of those who play it professionally.

What are you trying to pick a fight for, only made a couple of factual observations and you come out with all that crap!    

For Starters, define middle class in today’s society!    This ‘class’ thing is a tad old hat isn’t it!     I grew up with relatively little and am now a golf club member with many many similar people, I wouldn’t identify any of them as upper, middle or lower class and in this economy £750 a year is hardly breaking the bank.   Where do you get £2000 a year from, that would be for an elitist club and they are not the norm.

These may be perceptions to people who don’t know otherwise and some have pointed out the reality.     As for juniors trying to make it, I have first hand experience as my son has gone through that process, competing in all the major junior events, he continues to show great potential and we’re not rolling in cash.    Most junior golfers at the elite level are just average Joe’s nowadays because the sport is much more accessible to everyone so your elitist perception is not an accurate reflection of the reality.    

Socio economic.... you talk a good game!  Are Willett, Hatton, Poulter and Fleetwood for example from rich backgrounds?    

17 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

£750 a year is a luxury most can't afford. Golf is very much a sport for those who have, rather than those who have not.

40 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

£750 a year is a luxury most can't afford. Golf is very much a sport for those who have, rather than those who have not.

But a minimum £500 for our season tickets is ? Where do you draw the line ?

20 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

And no touching your opponents balls!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:
19 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I would tend to agree with TY.   £750 is a lot of money to some people and although I am not too badly off compared to some, I can't afford or justify spending that much on joining a golf club.  I like golf and would like to join the local club but it's just too expensive! What makes it doubly prohibitive is my good lady likes golf too, putting family membership at well over £1000. My whole family can join the very good tennis club here for under £150 which is much more manageable. Golf may not be quite so elitist culturally in the sense it was years ago, but it is still pretty expensive!   

9 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

For Starters, define middle class in today’s society!    This ‘class’ thing is a tad old hat isn’t it!     I grew up with relatively little and am now a golf club member with many many similar people, I wouldn’t identify any of them as upper, middle or lower class and in this economy £750 a year is hardly breaking the bank.

You didn't even read what I wrote!!

I don't think playing golf is elitist.

I'm saying that the reason it gets that reputation is because of the socio-economic background of the typical pro player, not member of public who plays golf for £750 a year.

They are two completely different things. 

Its the same with Tennis. Yes it wouldn't cost you much to go and play Tennis at a local club to keep fit.

But if you wanted your kid to have a good chance of playing at a competitive level / pro tournaments then you need to hire hitting partners at £14 to £20 an hour, and they need 12 to 15 hours of court time a week.

That's why some sports are considered elitist, because of the financial investment it requires to become professional, hence only kids from well off families being able to reach a serious level. 

Not because you can go and play a bit for £750 a year.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten