Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Pants

Bali Mumba

Yes I know he was on for only a few minutes and '****red' over when he could have got a shot off, but early signs are he knows his way round a football pitch.

I've been looking forward to seeing him and pleased Farke got him involved today.

• Like 1

I think we’ve already heard that the club rate him highly, so great to see him appear so early in the season. I was struck how he played so high up, 90% wing, 10% back from what I saw. A competition between him and Sorenson for left back is interesting, they both look like they have real potential.

What struck me is he is rather short. Other than that It does seem best to wait to judge, I agree. 

On 31/10/2020 at 19:06, Surfer said:

What struck me is he is rather short. Other than that It does seem best to wait to judge, I agree. 

Doesn’t seem to bother Max Aarons. Or Jay Dasilva, who looked good I thought.

Edited by Nuff Said

Interesting seeing him come on as a winger, then again I would assume Farke would want him to be more of an attacking wingback than a static fullback.

Unrelated but anyone know how tall he is? Seen ranges from different sites going from 5ft 3 to ft9.. He does look rather short.

20 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

Doesn't look that short to me.

image.png

He’s standing on a box. They released this photo to fool the opposition into thinking he’s at least 5ft 9 inches (a quick web search suggests he is 5ft 4)

Edited by Surfer

59 minutes ago, Surfer said:

He’s standing on a box. They released this photo to fool the opposition into thinking he’s at least 5ft 9 inches (a quick web search suggests he is 5ft 4)

The Tom Cruise trickery.

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Aka The Rishi Sunak

18 hours ago, Rolf Harris said:

The Tom Cruise trickery.

Doesn't he wear shoes with specially designed soles/heels to make him appear taller? And I've read he prefers starring alongside fellow short-ar$es, sometimes written into the contract. Could be rubbish of course.

Still think Jerry Maguire was his best movie. Renee Zellwegger is no Andre the Giant, nor is Cuba Gooding Jr., and the blonde kid with the glasses was pretty short too

21 hours ago, Surfer said:

Never did Hoolahan any harm

Going to have to wait for Max to move on, not this season then.  Max never seems to be injured and yesterday was the 41st game Max has played 90 mins.  Hope that isn't a hex.  Mumba placed out on the left wing nowhere near the defence a gentle introduction.  First defender on bench this season other than Sorenson who we didn't know and thought he was only a DM.  Loking forward to see CZ there very soon.

He was a centre mid at Sunderland, so I wonder if he's keeping his options open here. Our very own Ashley Maitland-Niles or James Milner

2 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

He was a centre mid at Sunderland, so I wonder if he's keeping his options open here. Our very own Ashley Maitland-Niles or James Milner

Played mostly DM for their first team, but played just as frequently as a right back for their U23s so and even few times right mid, so will be interesting to see if he remains a utility player or whether Farke sees him nailing down a particular spot. 

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Now that is excellent! 

Speak for yourself, I’m trying very hard (!) to unsee it.

A little bit of Zimmermann in my life
A little bit of Buendia by my side
A little bit of Timmie is all I need
A little bit of Teemu is what I see
A little bit of Gibson in the sun
A little bit of Aarons all night long
A little bit of Placheta, here I am
A little bit of you makes me your man

Mumba Number Five!!!

• Like 1

Looked very impressive versus Luton in the cup and was probably the only positive we could take out of that game!

Not sure what it means for Cantwell though when a 19 year old right back comes on as a sub into his favoured position?

He was brought on to add ballast and offer more protection to Sorensen. Why do fans keep trying to make everything about Cantwell? 

• Like 1

Liked the way DF gently tapped him on the cheek and gave him a hug at the final whistle. To me it looked like he is fond of Mumba, which I would take as an indication that he is happy with what he sees.

4 hours ago, Clint said:

He was brought on to add ballast and offer more protection to Sorensen. Why do fans keep trying to make everything about Cantwell? 

Ah yes, the classic 'add a 19 year old right back whose never made a league appearance at left wing to add ballast to the shoe-in left back who is also right footed', oldest trick in the book that 😄 

Seriously though - I'm not trying to make everything about Cantwell. I am simply curious that Farke favoured Mumba over him there given we were two goals up and comfortable.

Perhaps Cantwell's error that led to the Brentford goal was in Farke's mind? Either way I'm interested to see how Cantwell is used in the coming fixtures as I get the impression he has fallen down the pecking order somewhat since that Brentford game. And if so its a shame as he was a real threat versus Birmingham and did well against Wycombe too - was hoping he would be back to the same levels now as Buendia (or the Todd equivalent).

I think Todd will come back in against Millwall as they are likely to play more like Birmingham than Bristol, so PP’s pace is less of an asset. 

2 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Ah yes, the classic 'add a 19 year old right back whose never made a league appearance at left wing to add ballast to the shoe-in left back who is also right footed', oldest trick in the book that 😄 

Seriously though - I'm not trying to make everything about Cantwell. I am simply curious that Farke favoured Mumba over him there given we were two goals up and comfortable.

Perhaps Cantwell's error that led to the Brentford goal was in Farke's mind? Either way I'm interested to see how Cantwell is used in the coming fixtures as I get the impression he has fallen down the pecking order somewhat since that Brentford game. And if so its a shame as he was a real threat versus Birmingham and did well against Wycombe too - was hoping he would be back to the same levels now as Buendia (or the Todd equivalent).

I think it's fairly simple. You're winning, it's late and you want to make sure you don't concede - you bring on someone who is more defensively minded. If we wanted a goal, Cantwell would have probably come on, but he's not exactly someone to sure a game up and see out a goalless few minutes is he?

Can you imagine what would have been said here if we had used Cantwell (or any attacking midfielder / winger) and we threw away the 3-1 lead to end in a draw?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I think it's fairly simple. You're winning, it's late and you want to make sure you don't concede - you bring on someone who is more defensively minded. If we wanted a goal, Cantwell would have probably come on, but he's not exactly someone to sure a game up and see out a goalless few minutes is he?

Can you imagine what would have been said here if we had used Cantwell (or any attacking midfielder / winger) and we threw away the 3-1 lead to end in a draw?

I get what you’re saying, but I would argue there is just as much risk in playing a 19 year old RB with 0 league apps at left wing as bringing on a left winger at left wing! And I don’t really think Farke would be criticised for a like-for-like substitution if Cantwell made an error that led to a goal - certainly less so than if Mumba came on for his first appearance out-of-position  and made a similar error. But I digress.

In fairness it is the first time this season we have had the luxury of making subs with a comfortable 2-goal lead, so it could he that Farke has been waiting for a chance to give Mumba some game time in a relatively low risk situation. 

And thanks @TheGunnShow hadn’t seen about his hip before so potentially also to do with that. Probably overthinking it but have just had a bad gut feeling since that Brentford game as something seemed very ‘off’ with his game. It was probably the worst I’ve seen him play for us. Of course, hopefully it’s just a bout of pantwetting and we’ll see him back to his usual self soon.

8 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I get what you’re saying, but I would argue there is just as much risk in playing a 19 year old RB with 0 league apps at left wing as bringing on a left winger at left wing! And I don’t really think Farke would be criticised for a like-for-like substitution if Cantwell made an error that led to a goal - certainly less so than if Mumba came on for his first appearance out-of-position  and made a similar error. But I digress.

In fairness it is the first time this season we have had the luxury of making subs with a comfortable 2-goal lead, so it could he that Farke has been waiting for a chance to give Mumba some game time in a relatively low risk situation. 

And thanks @TheGunnShow hadn’t seen about his hip before so potentially also to do with that. Probably overthinking it but have just had a bad gut feeling since that Brentford game as something seemed very ‘off’ with his game. It was probably the worst I’ve seen him play for us. Of course, hopefully it’s just a bout of pantwetting and we’ll see him back to his usual self soon.

The bit in bold is pretty much textbook youth encouragement. Give them some positive experience and in as unpressured a scenario as possible. Mumba looks an enthusiastic player who Farke's got a lot of time for, but isn't getting past Max for now.