Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
NorthCarolinaYellow

Derby County Takeover

Recommended Posts

Breaking news today that Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan, the UAE royal and mega billionaire who failed to get Newcastle, is "on the brink" of buying Derby from Mel Morris.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-takeover-sheikh-khaled-4654114

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/10/30/derby-county-brink-takeover-cousin-manchester-city-owner-sheikh/

 

I wish them well, I guess, but it serves as good opportunity for me to realize that I would NEVER want something like to happen to NCFC. I truly value our community feel and local ownership more than money and trophies–not that they are mutually exclusive.

 

Thoughts? Would you trade shady foreign ownership for PL success? If you were the Sheikh would you buy Derby? There's a lot that's interesting about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see us taken over by someone with such mega money. I don't know what this specific bloke is like but there is no reason they wouldn;t maintain the community engagement or perhaps even increase it. Man City, Wolves and Leicester are very active in the community. 

We would no doubt have a larger ground and would have been much better placed to take advantage of one of the opportunities we have had in recent years had we had that sort of financial clout upon promotion to the premier league. 

Whilst i understand people are nervous of change  and we must "be careful what we wish for" I think those who say they would never want us owned by someone like this have bought the "evil foreign owners" spin from the current regime. It would potentially be a genuine opportunity to compete and win something at the top level and yet people aren;t interested in that and would rather be the private play thing of a celebrity cook.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I would love to see us taken over by someone with such mega money. I don't know what this specific bloke is like but there is no reason they wouldn;t maintain the community engagement or perhaps even increase it. Man City, Wolves and Leicester are very active in the community. 

We would no doubt have a larger ground and would have been much better placed to take advantage of one of the opportunities we have had in recent years had we had that sort of financial clout upon promotion to the premier league. 

Whilst i understand people are nervous of change  and we must "be careful what we wish for" I think those who say they would never want us owned by someone like this have bought the "evil foreign owners" spin from the current regime. It would potentially be a genuine opportunity to compete and win something at the top level and yet people aren;t interested in that and would rather be the private play thing of a celebrity cook.

Yawn

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I would love to see us taken over by someone with such mega money. I don't know what this specific bloke is like but there is no reason they wouldn;t maintain the community engagement or perhaps even increase it. Man City, Wolves and Leicester are very active in the community. 

We would no doubt have a larger ground and would have been much better placed to take advantage of one of the opportunities we have had in recent years had we had that sort of financial clout upon promotion to the premier league. 

Whilst i understand people are nervous of change  and we must "be careful what we wish for" I think those who say they would never want us owned by someone like this have bought the "evil foreign owners" spin from the current regime. It would potentially be a genuine opportunity to compete and win something at the top level and yet people aren;t interested in that and would rather be the private play thing of a celebrity cook.

I'm not pro-Tom Smith inheritance, but i'd rather we weren't owned by human rights abusers who sentence people to death for smoking a joint. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm not pro-Tom Smith inheritance, but i'd rather we weren't owned by human rights abusers who sentence people to death for smoking a joint. 

I agree. I think there's a middle ground between these sorts of people and the simple passing of the club to Tom Smith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I agree. I think there's a middle ground between these sorts of people and the simple passing of the club to Tom Smith.

Ironically the ideal imaginary Norwich owner would probably be somebody like Mel Morris, independently wealthy and successful and a lifetime Derby fan.

Unfortunately he's not been successful, partly due to bad luck having gone very close to taking them up, partly due to some short term thinking. 

Looks like he's got a bit bored of wasting his money.

That's the thing about successful businessmen and football, they are wired to make money and to build lean and efficient businesses.... and that's just not football, its a potential money pit. 

Alan Sugar struggled with that as well. Its a business which goes completely against the conventional wisdom which has served them so well. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm not pro-Tom Smith inheritance, but i'd rather we weren't owned by human rights abusers who sentence people to death for smoking a joint. 

Or being LGBTQ+.

How would that work? One of our much loved heroes of the past is Justin Fashanu.

As for Man City... a lot of Manc fans probably do love their owners. But they have done more to undermine English football and the laws of the game than I can remember any other single football team to do. Just look how they have funded themselves for starters. The big fat self sponsorship deal which snuck around to the laws and was not in the spirit of them resulted in new laws being put in place. Unfortunately too late by that point. And the owners are dodgy as hell.

I am totally with TVB on this one.

And lets not forget, the community side of it has to be genuine. They've just thrown money at it. Very different to the Leicester owners who actively engage with the community and people in Leicester. They don't just throw money around like it's confetti and want to grow the club rather than see it as their play thing.

At this point I also mirror big fish and yawn. "Lets be the next Man City, Leicester, Wolves" - pretty much every team has been bought out. Many more than once now. Villa were going to be the next "big thing" with Lerner, that didn't happen, then they got a new owner who bragged about snatching McCormack from our grasp. They have had new ownership since. Blackburn had new ownership, took them down two divisions. Hull... Wigan, Wigan is the worst of all. These checks that are meant to be made are clearly not reliable is all I will say. That's before I even start mocking what the lot down the road were saying when an arms dealer bought them promising all sorts of things.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully this doesn't come.off. Derby have tried to cheat the FFP system for years with dodgy accounting practices and so far it's done them no good. Hope this falls thru and they fade into mid table mediocrity where they deserve to be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I would love to see us taken over by someone with such mega money. I don't know what this specific bloke is like but there is no reason they wouldn;t maintain the community engagement or perhaps even increase it. Man City, Wolves and Leicester are very active in the community. 

We would no doubt have a larger ground and would have been much better placed to take advantage of one of the opportunities we have had in recent years had we had that sort of financial clout upon promotion to the premier league. 

Whilst i understand people are nervous of change  and we must "be careful what we wish for" I think those who say they would never want us owned by someone like this have bought the "evil foreign owners" spin from the current regime. It would potentially be a genuine opportunity to compete and win something at the top level and yet people aren;t interested in that and would rather be the private play thing of a celebrity cook.

That post puts the attitude of naysayers in a nutshell.  Totally dismissve and disparaging - even insulting - of the current owners despite their loyalty, time, energy and successes - but "love" the idea of mega money, apparently whoever has it and however they might behave with it, which is an unknown.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s depressing isn’t it Derby secure their future and all we have to look forward to is Nepotism Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

Why are Derby not Norwich?

Is it because we don't **** millions of ££s away year after year in the hope of being promoted to the Promised Land then f*ck up every season when it counts ? 😏

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I won’t be around but some on this site will be going over the same old ground if and when Master Tom takes over spouting the same questions in 20 years time when we wish we were Luton or MK Dons and Master Tom reiterating Michael Wynn Jones remarks that he will never sell to a foreigner even if it means getting out of Div 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

It’s depressing isn’t it Derby secure their future and all we have to look forward to is Nepotism Tom

Just like that lot down the road did about 13 years ago ...........that went well,didn't it ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PL told this person to F off from Newcastle because of the unsavoury nature of Saudi HR history.  Not guaranteed to pass fit owner test but this is the low profile EFL and Parry will welcome with open arms.  The billionaire will need all his dosh to revitalise ihe car crash as Derby  soon will fall foul of FFP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I would love to see us taken over by someone with such mega money. I don't know what this specific bloke is like but there is no reason they wouldn;t maintain the community engagement or perhaps even increase it. Man City, Wolves and Leicester are very active in the community. 

We would no doubt have a larger ground and would have been much better placed to take advantage of one of the opportunities we have had in recent years had we had that sort of financial clout upon promotion to the premier league. 

Whilst i understand people are nervous of change  and we must "be careful what we wish for" I think those who say they would never want us owned by someone like this have bought the "evil foreign owners" spin from the current regime. It would potentially be a genuine opportunity to compete and win something at the top level and yet people aren;t interested in that and would rather be the private play thing of a celebrity cook.

Agreed. Sometimes people ‘over correct’ in their minds and assume that if it’s not local, then it must have ill intentions.

For those who enjoy math:

Rich owners ≠ trophies & wild parties.

I, for one, would not reject a wealthy owner simply because they’re from away. Nor would I assume they are ‘evil’.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

That post puts the attitude of naysayers in a nutshell.  Totally dismissve and disparaging - even insulting - of the current owners despite their loyalty, time, energy and successes - but "love" the idea of mega money, apparently whoever has it and however they might behave with it, which is an unknown.

Naysayers? Jim gave his view but rather than disagreeing with him in an adult manner you are the one getting "insulting". Grow up.

Your definition of success is probably a lot less "challenging" than that of a normal football supporter. You obviously don't use the performance of the first team as a major gauge in that success. Wealth has bought Leicester , Wolves etc far better success than Delia has with us & it would be great if our Football Club could achieve success like that. No fan proper fan of NCFC would not want to have a chance at that....

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These murderers should be nowhere near a football club! For integrity’s sake, this better not happen. But knowing Derby, it will!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Naysayers? Jim gave his view but rather than disagreeing with him in an adult manner you are the one getting "insulting". Grow up.

Your definition of success is probably a lot less "challenging" than that of a normal football supporter. You obviously don't use the performance of the first team as a major gauge in that success. Wealth has bought Leicester , Wolves etc far better success than Delia has with us & it would be great if our Football Club could achieve success like that. No fan proper fan of NCFC would not want to have a chance at that....

 

 

"Normal football supporters"

How do you define them Kenny?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

That post puts the attitude of naysayers in a nutshell.  Totally dismissve and disparaging - even insulting - of the current owners despite their loyalty, time, energy and successes - but "love" the idea of mega money, apparently whoever has it and however they might behave with it, which is an unknown.

Naysayers? Jim gave his view but rather than disagreeing with him in an adult manner you are the one getting "insulting". Grow up.

Your definition of success is probably a lot less "challenging" than that of a normal football supporter. You obviously don't use the performance of the first team as a major gauge in that success. Wealth has bought Leicester , Wolves etc far better success than Delia has with us & it would be great if our Football Club could achieve success like that. No fan proper fan of NCFC would not want to have a chance at that....

Jim gave his view and I responded to it. I didn't insult him and I don't need to grow up.  What I could have added to that is the thought that the idea of not wanting someone's money just because they have money, has nothing to do with where they come from, but has everything to do with how they measure up in the stakes of looking after a football club. If they haven't owned a football club before would be very, very wary. If they have some past experience in owning/running a sports club and seen to look after it well, then ok, all is good..... 

........and they could come from China, Egypt or Sprowston, it makes no difference - they have to be the right people for the club and that is all. I wouldn't want to replace what we've got with anything that is in any way going to risk being detrimental to the fabulous football club we have now.  Imo we have more to lose than to gain from a rich owner - and that is based on where we are now as a club - financially secure, building assets, excellent management and coaching - and owners who care.

I would have more time for those who keep insisting we need a rich owner if they showed a bit more magnaminity to the owners we have now - recognise the good in what they have done, but that seems beyond them.  It's apparently "do well and it's in spite of them, do badly and it's because of them".  Imo there is something rather sad about that attitude, it's like for them, nothing is ever good enough. Learning to recognise and see good in people is a good thing - it's much better than just looking for, or expecting, bad things, because if you look for bad things, that is probably what you will see - you see what you are looking to see.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm more than happy with Delia and supporting a family club, this may include a yoyo nature and highs and lows but

we have something very special and unique in football terms and we should embrace it rather than reject it

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Jim gave his view and I responded to it. I didn't insult him and I don't need to grow up.  What I could have added to that is the thought that the idea of not wanting someone's money just because they have money, has nothing to do with where they come from, but has everything to do with how they measure up in the stakes of looking after a football club. If they haven't owned a football club before would be very, very wary. If they have some past experience in owning/running a sports club and seen to look after it well, then ok, all is good..... 

........and they could come from China, Egypt or Sprowston, it makes no difference - they have to be the right people for the club and that is all. I wouldn't want to replace what we've got with anything that is in any way going to risk being detrimental to the fabulous football club we have now.  Imo we have more to lose than to gain from a rich owner - and that is based on where we are now as a club - financially secure, building assets, excellent management and coaching - and owners who care.

I would have more time for those who keep insisting we need a rich owner if they showed a bit more magnaminity to the owners we have now - recognise the good in what they have done, but that seems beyond them.  It's apparently "do well and it's in spite of them, do badly and it's because of them".  Imo there is something rather sad about that attitude, it's like for them, nothing is ever good enough. Learning to recognise and see good in people is a good thing - it's much better than just looking for, or expecting, bad things, because if you look for bad things, that is probably what you will see - you see what you are looking to see.

 

I have mentioned on many occasions as has Jim, that the owners have in their time, steadied the ship, despite a couple of occasions when we nearly went bust. They currently have the club in a reasonable condition and are obviously fans. I think now is the time for us to show our thanks and for them to do due diligence to find the right owner with more resources to invest in our great club. All clubs need investment to grow. They are out there and I am sure Delia and co, could find them if they really really wanted to. I do not think Tom is the answer.

I support NCFC not Delia FC. Delia just happens to be the current owner of the club I support and give a lot of money to... 

Ps Naysayers is a term of endearment then? 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Hopefully this doesn't come.off. Derby have tried to cheat the FFP system for years with dodgy accounting practices and so far it's done them no good. Hope this falls thru and they fade into mid table mediocrity where they deserve to be.

I think mid table mediocrity is a bit ambitious for them! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, CirclePoint said:

Agreed. Sometimes people ‘over correct’ in their minds and assume that if it’s not local, then it must have ill intentions.

For those who enjoy math:

Rich owners ≠ trophies & wild parties.

I, for one, would not reject a wealthy owner simply because they’re from away. Nor would I assume they are ‘evil’.

 

Total straw man argument, there's no assumption that foreign = evil, the individuals and groups which come up against opposition are for specific reasons (e.g. human rights abuses, historical corruption etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Delia was a big fan of Tony Blair, some folks would like him done for war crimes, does that make Delia a bad owner? Clearly not.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Delia was a big fan of Tony Blair, some folks would like him done for war crimes, does that make Delia a bad owner? Clearly not.....

That's a fair bit different from being someone who is a member of the ruling class in that country isn't it? Or an actual arms dealer themselves...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...