Sign in to follow this  
NorthCarolinaYellow

Derby County Takeover

Does anyone think it's remotely possible that this chap may have approached a number of clubs before finally being accepted by Derby? Or did he just choose Derby? I think that's unlikely. I think it's possible that he has tried some others, possibly even Norwich, before ending up at Derby because they were the most desperate.

If I were a billionaire with no affiliations in football but wanted to spend several billion on massaging my ego, personally I'd choose a club like Wycombe - massive catchment area, no EPL club within 50 miles, huge opportunity to build something - or Reading, great ground, good supporter base, real potential. Derby? Meh....

Jim’s getting some stick (and some support) but he’s a reasonable guy to talk and debate with, and though I don’t personally share his view, I do get elements of it however and respect his views.

A lot depends on what you value as success I guess. For me, I’d love to see us winning the Premier League one day, of course, but I can’t put a value on just times like these, winning most games, marching up the table. These are the times I relish and enjoy as a born and bred City supporter. I think my home city club is unique in many ways, and I have to give Delia and Michael much credit for that. I feel with them we’re all in this together, like a tribe. I’m fairly confident that unique feeling of togetherness would disappear under a new faceless regime. So why would I want to change what we have when I enjoy the buzz of the rollercoaster that is Norwich City FC with all my mates? Exactly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Does anyone think it's remotely possible that this chap may have approached a number of clubs before finally being accepted by Derby? Or did he just choose Derby? I think that's unlikely. I think it's possible that he has tried some others, possibly even Norwich, before ending up at Derby because they were the most desperate.

If I were a billionaire with no affiliations in football but wanted to spend several billion on massaging my ego, personally I'd choose a club like Wycombe - massive catchment area, no EPL club within 50 miles, huge opportunity to build something - or Reading, great ground, good supporter base, real potential. Derby? Meh....

Have you ever been to Reading? Maybe I have missed the good bits but it seems to me to be some of the worst of what’s wrong with the UK economy/environment today. A mixture of a sprawling mess of over-priced commuter huts, tacky retail and faux American business parks.

Derby at least has some character and history.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Have you ever been to Reading? Maybe I have missed the good bits but it seems to me to be some of the worst of what’s wrong with the UK economy/environment today. A mixture of a sprawling mess of over-priced commuter huts, tacky retail and faux American business parks.

Derby at least has some character and history.

Yes, many times. I think you must have had your eyes closed when you went there. Huge supporter base in Reading - maybe all those people need some relief from their "over-priced commuter huts". The riverside area is very similar to the same one in Norwich and the town centres themselves are quite similar. Norwich has more history but Berkshire as a county is a similar size, and as it is much nearer than Norfolk to other major conurbations they have a lot more outliers as supporters. Derby certainly has some industrial character and history, but the catchment isn't there because of the number of local teams, so it's ultimate potential appears to be limited. Hence why I wouldn't invest there if I was a billionaire.

Wycombe would be better than both though.

11 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Wycombe or Reading? Can’t see that ever working, no history and little potential. Derby, Sheffield Wednesday or Coventry would be far better options. 

On 31/10/2020 at 11:32, Kenny Foggo said:

Delia was a big fan of Tony Blair, some folks would like him done for war crimes, does that make Delia a bad owner? Clearly not.....

Hahahahah Jesus Christ.

On 07/11/2020 at 00:26, sgncfc said:

Try Cornwall.... 565k population, no football league side. Neighbours in Cornwall have three.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Try Cornwall.... 565k population, no football league side. Neighbours in Cornwall have three.

Theres nowhere flat enough in Kernow to put a footy pitch.

Someone a while back put up a very good post pointing out that if you look at it logically Cambridge would be the ideal club for a billionaire to buy. Massive existing international name recognition from the University - a big catchment area with little footballing competition - good transport links and close enough to Stansted airport and London. And since they're currently so gash they wouldn't cost much to buy in the first place. 

36 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

So we could add Plymouth Argyle into the mix, just the other side of the River Tamar and the border with Cornwall, huge potential, lots of history, lovely part of the world............

31 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

So we could add Plymouth Argyle into the mix, just the other side of the River Tamar and the border with Cornwall, huge potential, lots of history, lovely part of the world............

People from Cornwall would not want to be supporting a Devon club.

33 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Someone a while back put up a very good post pointing out that if you look at it logically Cambridge would be the ideal club for a billionaire to buy. Massive existing international name recognition from the University - a big catchment area with little footballing competition - good transport links and close enough to Stansted airport and London. And since they're currently so gash they wouldn't cost much to buy in the first place. 

Or Oxford United for similar reasons?