Kathy

John Manning

I was contacted by Geoff Johnson of the Football Historians Research Group who told me the sad news that John Manning, formerly of NCFC, is the latest to be diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. 

I suspect that not being as ancient as me, this may be a bit before most posters time, but John was a tall conventional target man type centre forward who played under Lol Morgan in the 1968-69 season. I had a crush on him and have (yet another!) embarrassing photograph of myself and a friend with him at Carrow Rd open day. I was 14 at the time but look about 9. 

John has apparently been in the dementia wing of a Liverpool hospital for the past 7 months or so. Geoff saw him for the first time yesterday and said he was shocked to see him. He is very frail, didnt know him, and didn't even look at him. Geoff took photos in, including the one with me, thinking he might recognise faces and teams he played for, but he showed no sign of this.

We seem to be hearing more and more of this don't we?
Edited by Kathy

'' Come on without, come on within you've not seen nothing like John Manning ''.

That will have the young'uns on here scratching their heads.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

'' Come on without, come on within you've not seen nothing like John Manning ''.

One of my favourite players from yesteryear. Always remember him scoring the winner at Roker Park in an FA cup 3rd round replay in'68. I was 10yrs old with a terrific sports teacher at Cavell school called Mr. Macdonald who would bring in the sports pages of newspapers so we could keep a scrapbook of City's games.  Memories!!

Just now, mannings bandy legs said:

One of my favourite players from yesteryear. Always remember him scoring the winner at Roker Park in an FA cup 3rd round replay in'68. I was 10yrs old with a terrific sports teacher at Cavell school called Mr. Macdonald who would bring in the sports pages of newspapers so we could keep a scrapbook of City's games.  Memories!!

......my mistake,his name was Mckenzie!

33 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Was he a mighty Eskimo, or just the Mann? 😉

Very sad. A 100% player, other centre forwards may have scored more but modern stats would have shown his team value.

Old-fashioned No 9 who was a great header of a football - not so mobile but I always thought that he had exceptionally thick,strong thighs and when he did shoot it went like a rocket 😃

• Like 2

I believe he played when I watched my first ever game (with Hugh Curran....just found an old football trading card of him last night playing for Wolves). My father used to tell me how good he was but I'm afraid I cannot remember him from my tiny viewpoint in the South Stand even though older fans helped me to stand on the stool my father made for me.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I Ed to sing Curran without, Curran within you’ve not seen nothing like the great Manning..

1 hour ago, mannings bandy legs said:

I remember that game buddy. I'd been to the first game at Carrow Road (Where I had my scarf stolen and thrown into the river!!) and that evening my nan had said if City win I'll give you sixpence!. It was hard to follow away games back then but I remember finding out late in the evening on the radio. City won 1-0 and Manning scored. It was a shock result and not just to my nan.

It's really sad that so many people end their days with this awful disease.. Life is especially hard for them now that many of their activities are severely curtailed due to the pandemic. I have been privileged to be part of AgeUK Still On The Ball project where we met with Norwich fans, and often ex-players, who were living with dementia. These reminiscence groups were cancelled in March and there's no sign of them restarting.

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

17th February 1968. Norwich City forward John Manning attempts to get the  better of Chelsea's Marvin Hinton during a League 4th Round tie, at … |  Calciatori, Calcio

Is that the FA Cup game at Stamford Bridge where Charlie Cooke scored the only goal of the game ? if so i was one of 59,000 there.

Edited by TIL 1010

It's just as well it's not in colour Cosmic. My dress was green corduroy and I had purple shoes on!

A real shame that someone gets this horrible disease for (potentially) earning a living doing something they enjoyed that brought enjoyment to others.

15 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Is that the FA Cup game at Stamford Bridge where Charlie Cooke scored the only goal of the game ? if so i was one of 59,000 there.

Yep,Charlie Cooke penalty, I was there too.

• Like 1