16 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Do you keep a record of all your interchanges with all the posters on here?

Plenty of omega 3 and eight hours sleep a night, prevents one having a memory like an 80 year old.

Try it.

31 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Just questioning the standard of one of our new signings, you said just the other day that you'd done exactly the same when we signed Gary Megson but was proved wrong. Is this double standards? 

No, because clearly he's learnt from that mistake where as you seem to have a habit of repeating them... 

17 minutes ago, chicken said:

No, because clearly he's learnt from that mistake where as you seem to have a habit of repeating them... 

I simply disagree with the premise that questioning the quality of a signing is any more a mistake than going too far the other way, like declaring a player a bargain before they've even kicked a ball..... one of your last posts before disappearing for 18 months...

I do hope I'm wrong, it would be a pleasant mistake to make, though I don't think I've really got one wrong since Vrancic three years ago, and my gut instinct on new players has proven pretty sound. Yesterday I stated that I believe Hugill will prove useful, in a Mattias Svensson sort of way, and said last season that I saw something in Rupp which suggested he'd be a good player in this league when many others wanted him adding to the bomb squad.

Prefer to make a judgement on players by seeing them in the yellow shirt though, rather than through YouTube compilation videos and Wikipedia entries...

On 08/08/2019 at 21:48, chicken said:

There are bargains to be found like Drmic

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Which ever way you look at it, he was a bit of a bargain. The fact that it hasn't worked out is plausibly a separate issue.

At the time we had a limited budget and were looking for a striker who had performed regularly in one of the top divisions in Europe. That's what we came up with. On paper, more pedigree than Pukki, in terms of playing at a higher level for longer. Not the be all and end all I admit but still.

When you look at the comparisons, even now. £10million for Ivan Toney. Now he's looking good at this moment for this level. But that's the reality now. £10million for a League One player. So my comment back then, is still worthy given the circumstances.

That is very different to suggesting a player we paid millions for is crap. Especially a young player only a handful of games into his Norwich career. And when the manager himself has said that he was brought in for his pace and goal threat but that whilst he was a real talent he still needs refining before he is the end product.

Considering that, his start to his NCFC career has been good. The issue we have is the same as when we have Hernandez playing which is that we seem to be more used to Buendia and Cantwell who like to drift inside. Placheta is more of a natural bomb down the flank style winger and I think we struggle to find those passes to him at the moment.

Plenty there though, he's put in a couple of good performances already. At 22, in his first season in the English league and only a handful of performances in, anything as harsh as what you are saying is just pure daft. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

Which ever way you look at it, he was a bit of a bargain. The fact that it hasn't worked out is plausibly a separate issue.

When you look at the comparisons, even now. £10million for Ivan Toney.

I'd actually like to see Drmic get another crack at this level.

Ivan Toney was only £5m up front though, the other £5m is possible future fee based on various clauses or add-ons. 

In much the same way that the £1.5m we paid for Emi Buenda ended up being £5m after clauses were activated.

And I reckon that £10m for Toney will end up looking very cheap very quickly. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

It'll end up looking cheap if he can replicate what he is doing at a higher level.

However, Jordan Rhodes was one of those not too long ago and Middlesbrough found him not quite good enough for the Prem. And there have been a few of those. Asombalonga at one point was freescoring and costing a fair whack. No Premier League team took a gamble on him despite being one of the regularly high scoring Championship strikers. Then you have the likes of Grabban and Afobe costing £9-£10million+ each. Nahki Wells is another though perhaps not as expensive.

The proof will be in the pudding with Toney. He's a relative unknown at this level, he is doing well now. But lets see if he can do it across a season.

And lets also not forget that it is possible to be written off several times before finding your feet somewhere. Grant Holt for example. To some degree Iwan Roberts. Vardy and Giroud are two other top level examples. Perhaps even Bamford may qualify for a late bloomer after many time rejection award?

31 minutes ago, chicken said:

It'll end up looking cheap if he can replicate what he is doing at a higher level.

It will look cheap the moment he either:

a) Wins them a £100m+ promotion to the Premier League

or..

b) Equals the £20m fee they received for Neil Maupey (bought for £1.8m), or the £23m they received for Ollie Watkins (bought for £1.8m). Brentford know what they are doing when investing in the transfer market.... more so perhaps than any other team in this division. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I know some players take time to adjust and eventually come good.

But has anybody else looked at him and just wondered whether he's playing at the right level, and whether he might be better suited to League One, or a career in retail? 

I have read your posts and wondered whether you are watching the right sport?

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't think I've really got one wrong since Vrancic three years ago, and my gut instinct on new players has proven pretty sound. 

Like when you advocated for starting Drmic last season?

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

...and said last season that I saw something in Rupp which suggested he'd be a good player in this league when many others wanted him adding to the bomb squad.

Here are a few of your posts about Rupp you posted in the summer:

"Rupp, Drmic, Duda, all sh*t. That's the latest three."

"I feel so blessed that our excellent scouting department found Lukas Rupp, what an absolute steal he was. We never properly replaced Shaun Carey and I never thought that day would come. Give them all a bonus!"

"Think you are missing the point in the thread if you say Rupp to be honest, which is listing players others teams are likely to actually want to buy. 

It would cost us money to get rid of him."

Really sounds like someone "suggesting he'd be a good player" and definitely not someone "who wanted to add him to the bomb squad". 

Edited by kirku
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Six Pack said:

At least he managed to hold onto the ball. You need a good touch when playing against the better teams at this level - Hugill has reconfirmed today he is a "bull in a china shop" .

Sorensen is also better suited to employment involving wearing a colourful hat & uniform and asking "would you like fries with that order sir ?" For a defender he can't tackle, can't pass, can't run fast, no first touch, cant header, is easily knocked off the ball and has bad positional sense, stands around doing nothing ! The type of player that gives the opposition an extra player. We had too many of those today !

I know everybody is going to say " give him a chance - he hasn't had a run of games" but let's be honest - how many times do you need to look  - 100 times before coming back with the same verdict ?

With all the donkeys we had on the pitch  - It was actually a relief to see McLean come on !

Placheta for me still controlled and held onto ball. Was a lot better than others on the pitch.

Did you actually watch the game?

58 minutes ago, kirku said:

Like when you advocated for starting Drmic last season?

Forget about last season Kirku, I did it yesterday:

Hope you aren't questioning the ability of one of our players, Thirsty Lizard would be outraged. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

59 minutes ago, kirku said:

Here are a few of your posts about Rupp you posted in the summer:

Really sounds like someone "suggesting he'd be a good player" and definitely not someone "who wanted to add him to the bomb squad". 

I've been a bit on and off with Rupp, but here's a few more that you've elected to ignore....

"Some of the players we're stuck with may come good anyway, Klose probably not a bad squad player at that level (look how many times we're written off Tettey!), Rupp may come good"

"Rupp will be given a chance in the Championship, he would have been signed with that in mind"

"I'm in the "jury still out" camp because seen a few things which suggest he has some grit and determination, and it was a tough time to come into this side. Rupp gets a pass for this season"

"Rupp I will keep an open mind"

"Food for thought when it comes to writing Rupp off, who only joined in January"

"I think you may have missed the point somewhat Tetteys Jig. My point is essentially that it may be a little too soon to write Rupp off completely"

"I think Rupp looks like he'll be a useful squad player, and think he's got a bit of Gary O'Neil about him which we will see more of as he settles in and adjusts to English football"

"I don't disagree with your list other than to argue that your are writing off Rupp a bit too quickly"

"I'm not writing Rupp off yet. He's probably not in his best position for a start, and Trybull and McLean are hardly world beaters so I'd like to see if he can nail a place.I think he may a little bit about him"

"Rupp has shown glimpses that there is a player in there somewhere and lets see what he looks like after a full pre-season. Not been bad enough to warrant writing off, not been good enough to get excited about. I mean, could I feasibly see him being good enough to keep Trybull or McLean out of the side? Yes, I think that may be a possibility"

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

9 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not at all fair - he’s barely kicked a ball this season, give him a chance.  

That's fair, I'm being a bit premature, he could do a Vrancic and rapidly improve.

BUT....... Another left sided speed merchant, Raymond De Waard, is consistently making the "worst ever Norwich player" threads on here, after being given just 10 appearances to adjust to English football before being written off and discarded. Placheta is already on 6. 

So I can't help but feel that double standards are often applied.

I started the thread "worst Norwich players you've ever seen" in July, and don't see anybody getting outaged by the inclusion of....

Raymond De Waard (10 games)

Philip Heise (1 game)

Goran Maric (2 games)

Theoklitos (1 game)

All of whom had also come from a different country. I'm hardly including Placheta on that list, but you can add Marcel Franke (5 games) to the list of players who are universally admonished as not to the required standard. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

9 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Anything to say about your predilection to publicly have a go at our players?

Why are you giving these recent threads a free pass Thirsty?

• Does Hanley Deserve The Captaincy?
  • Buendia Overrated?
  • Hugill

Just curious, as I put forward a defence of our centre backs and Hugill, and you don't appear to have done?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

One key function of sleep is that it (combined with sufficient hydration prior to sleep) is needed to flush out neurotoxins, which is why our brains contract during sleep. Some of those neurotoxins cause Dementia or Alzhemiers.

Forgetting your kids names is a big price to pay for stealing an extra hour playing football manager, or to squeeze in one more episode of a netlfix series, I take sleep much more seriously now.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Nah, it's much funnier watching people make these preconceptions and then looking like idiots within a few months.

See Vrancic.

See Rupp for a more recent one.

And Drmic. 

This thread does make me wonder two things...

1) Do we need some explainer at the top of this forum about what a 'discussion forum' actually is? I don't personally agree with TVB's view but the fact is this forum is for discussing all things Norwich City- sometimes, thinking a player is not very good is going to be expressed as an opinion. The amount of pearl clutching over this always makes me laugh.

2) Does anyone actually think Placheta is reading this? I doubt a young, successful footballer settling into life in a new country is regularly checking out the pinkun forum and having his confidence knocked by people not thinking he's all that. Sure, if this post was made on Instagram or Twitter and the player was tagged in it then that is ****ty behaviour- but the idea that putting a post on this forum somehow affects the player in question is pretty laughable. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Nah, it's much funnier watching people make these preconceptions and then looking like idiots within a few months.

See Vrancic.

See Rupp for a more recent one.

Fair point. Watch cretins hang themselves by their own petard, then start doing the pretzel....

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We don't fully understand the role of sleep yet, but we do know that one key function is that it (combined with sufficient hydration prior to sleep) is needed to flush out neurotoxins, which is why our brains contract during sleep. Some of those neurotoxins cause Dementia or Alzhemiers.

Forgetting your kids names is a big price to pay for stealing an extra hour playing football manager, or to squeeze in one more episode of a netlfix series, I take sleep much more seriously now.

The section on alcohol is a real downer though.

For anyone interested, a couple of interesting points I can remember. (Alcohol inhibits REM sleep, which in turn inhibits dreaming).

1. A number of test subjects were given something like half a day's training to learn something. Tested later that day, they all scored around 90% recall. A third then had three nights of normal sleep, but drank every evening. A third did the same but only drank on the third night, and the final third didn't drink at all. Tested again after three days, the first group scored 40%, the second 50% and the non-drinkers 90%. The point being that sleep moves memories from short-term to long-term sleep, and alcohol inhibits this, even after three days.
  2. Severe alcoholics don't dream. The lack of sleep eventually results in the brain being so desperate for REM sleep that it generates daytime (awake) dreaming - this is the DTs, the hallucinations that long-time alcoholics experience.

😣

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Plenty of omega 3 and eight hours sleep a night, prevents one having a memory like an 80 year old.

Try it.

Hmm, posted on the Ifollow thread 6 hours ago and posting today from 8am. Extra Omega 3 for you TvB, or you'll start to get really muddled like the rest of us.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Hmm, posted on the Ifollow thread 6 hours ago and posting today from 8am. Extra Omega 3 for you TvB, or you'll start to get really muddled like the rest of us.

Yeah, Toddlers sometimes aren't always on the same page.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Yeah, there is also the point in the Why We Sleep book about avoiding blue LED light for at least an hour before sleeping ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Just for the record, I stated on here last season that I saw a little something in Rupp when many others didn't and tipped him to come good be a new Gary O'Neil type player this season. You replied when I said this and agreed. 

I can't claim the same with Vrancic, I thought he was pants for the first six months and was surprised he met the required standard.

It works both ways though Hogesar, when you blow smoke up the a*se of every player then you end up being the guy who reckoned James Husband was the future. 

I hope that Placheta does come good, but at the moment he looks well out of his depth.

I wasn't criticising you specifically - it's just Rupp was a good general example.

I don't think I ever claimed Husband was the future, although I'm sure i've been positive about players who ended up being rubbish.

I think it's more that your claim Placheta looks well out of his depth is a bit harsh - he's not had loads of minutes and when he has he's generally crossed pretty well and of course, got himself a goal.

57 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

And Drmic. 

And Pukki, actually.

And Stiepermann, actually.

And even more alarmingly, Cantwell, actually.

As for Drmic, I don't personally think he'd have offered us less than Hugill has so far but of course, I can't back that up unless he find another club at a similar level and starts performing.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I've been a bit on and off with Rupp

But that's not how you presented it, is it?

You called both heads and tails and now, when the coin has been flipped, want to tell everyone about how brilliant your prediction was.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

And Pukki, actually.

And Stiepermann, actually.

And even more alarmingly, Cantwell, actually.

As for Drmic, I don't personally think he'd have offered us less than Hugill has so far but of course, I can't back that up unless he find another club at a similar level and starts performing.

Are you enjoying the season? I’m quite impressed really. It’s so hard shaking off a losing mentality so hats off to Farke for galvanising the players to perform. 

Norwich still haven’t played a great game for 90 minutes but the results of late should help. Hopefully it all comes together on a consistent basis before the next transfer window opens. 

9 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

It's pretty obvious what Placheta's good at and not good at, we just need to find a way of making what he's good at effective for us.

He's young, and if there's one thing I think we can all agree on, it's that this coaching team is great at developing young players with potential. So while he may have weak points right now, there's a very good chance he will get a lot better.

Edited by Nuff Said