Had some good spells in the first half, but struggled after they scored. 

There were just so many frustrating aspects to our play... cutting back and cutting back and cutting back, dallying on the ball and struggling with incisive passes through the lines to beat their press, working it really well into a great position but then blasting the through ball 2x as hard as it needs to be hit, trying to score the perfect ball. 

So many times we just surrendered possession when we'd worked so hard to get into a good spot. Really annoying to watch.

When you factor in the saves that Krul made, the relative little we created, and the nature of our equaliser I think its fair to say in no way did we deserve that point. I doubt you'll find a single Brentford fan who would think that was a fair result! Which makes it all the sweeter! But we need to do better.

Good to see the 3-5-2 coming back, we looked more dangerous when Farke made that switch - Aarons in particular. 

Not sure what happened to Cantwell tonight? Worst I think I've ever seen him play?

Just now, hogesar said:

A quick look at the Brentford forum and the majority seem to think a draw was fair.

Goes to show how OTT some of our fans are on our performances this season. I think it's because people aren't used to the whole watching-on-ifollow-with-no-fans thing - must be getting a completely different feel or something.

Are we that OTT?

We've come down as one of the favourites to win the league, yet I've not seen a performance yet where I thought 'yeah we controlled that.'

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Have a feeling Cantwell wont be in the starting 11 at the weekend-

Prior to this match Farke said he had fitness issues and wasnt sure he was going to start, did start and played poorly and was of course subbed off at half time.

Think he was injured

very good point with lot a possesion football but not enogh good chanses for us.Lucky goal with reflection.

Late goals seems trade mark for us in this league !

Im much woried with Farke so easy pick unchanged team how on earth we will keep fresh this players with evry 3 day games until lade December ...

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Have a feeling Cantwell wont be in the starting 11 at the weekend-

Prior to this match Farke said he had fitness issues and wasnt sure he was going to start, did start and played poorly and was of course subbed off at half time.

Yes. I think at present we can do better or be more effective in that position. Emi needs to learn not to snatch in front of goal. Relax.

I thought Brentford were terrific at closing us down the second half and made us look worse than we really were. Real pressure on us at the back and made it tough to get forwards....but we did give the ball away soooo many times..............

I think that spawny goal has papered over the cracks a bit. A good point, but we didn't play well most of the second half and their keeper has had little to do.

Placheta largely anonymous and he was supposed to be the main threat, but lacks basic ball control.

Still, getting a point when not playing that well is not to be sniffed at.

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Did you actually watch the game, or did you just look at the stats? 

Brentford were by far the better team. 

I disagree, I watched the game on sky which was pretty poor coverage but Brentford were not by far better.

we should have been atleast one nil up before they scored and it’s pretty clear that if teams are having to come at us we are capable of picking them off, Brentford had the better chances second half but there were a number of times where we got to the last pass and didn’t quite get it right.

This NcFC team is getting better and not miles away for me, we will give someone a hiding soon.

my one wings for the night is why didn’t we rival Brentford for Toney in the summer, so much bette than Hudgil and weren’t they similar cost? 

6 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

All in all a good point. Brentford will feel unlucky though.

However we need to be swifter and less pedantic in attack. Cantwell and Emi - do they need a rest ?

How can Cantwell need a rest, he's barely played after being left out for 3 games.

He needs a kick up the harris.

Just now, Big O said:

I disagree, I watched the game on sky which was pretty poor coverage but Brentford were not by far better.

we should have been atleast one nil up before they scored and it’s pretty clear that if teams are having to come at us we are capable of picking them off, Brentford had the better chances second half but there were a number of times where we got to the last pass and didn’t quite get it right.

This NcFC team is getting better and not miles away for me, we will give someone a hiding soon.

my one winge for the night is why didn’t we rival Brentford for Toney in the summer, so much bette than Hudgil and weren’t they similar cost? 

Not a great performance but earned a point away from home against a direct rival. We didn’t do enough of that last season, too many times we let teams around us get all 3 points with the end result being us getting cut adrift. Scrapping for, and getting that point has to be taken as a huge positive, regardless of how it came. Hopefully a better performance next game, and hopefully Xavi not too badly injured.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

A quick look at the Brentford forum and the majority seem to think a draw was fair.

Goes to show how OTT some of our fans are on our performances this season. I think it's because people aren't used to the whole watching-on-ifollow-with-no-fans thing - must be getting a completely different feel or something.

It was a fair result overall.

Second half Brentford edged it.

Got luck but you still have to have to be up there to make the attempt. Fair play McLean

Another late goal and a result.

Farke's decisions have been very positive recently.

Will sleep more happily.

Now need to get 3 points at Bristol. That will make it 4 points from 2 away matches.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Really? In a game where Krul pulled off a worldy, plus a couple more saves, and their keeper could literally have not bothered wearing gloves? 

That surprises me. Yes, I'm sure we had more of the ball, but Leicester City should have stopped people ever referring to possession as some sort of performance indicator. 

Just now, Big O said:

my one wings for the night is why didn’t we rival Brentford for Toney in the summer, so much bette than Hudgil and weren’t they similar cost? 

Think Toney was more, about £5.5m I think.

Hugill was 'rising to' £5m, but that's after all sorts of conditional clauses, and up front was a couple of million I think.

Just learning that you typically get what you pay for again. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

How can Cantwell need a rest, he's barely played after being left out for 3 games.

He needs a kick up the harris.

I was being polite 😉

• Like 1

We were poor for 60/65 minutes so to come away with a point is fantastic.

What really frustrates me is the the glaringly obvious need to strength in postions we are weak in/short in.

And the realisation that the decision not to is ultimatley going to cost us points.

We're some cover at LB and a coupld of good CB's from having a very good side/squad.

Both Gibson and Hanley have the turning circles of the titanic and do not fill me with confidence on the ball.

Pukki never quite had a yard of pace to lose, his football brain and first touch stole him half a yard on any defender but he's getting slower and less convincing by the game.

Edited by CDMullins

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Are we that OTT?

We've come down as one of the favourites to win the league, yet I've not seen a performance yet where I thought 'yeah we controlled that.'

Yeah, I think so. Weve had the obvious transfer window sagas as well as integrating new players and despite that, we're top of the league for possession (a good indicator for 'controlling' a game in general) and towards the top for creating chances.

That there's been a couple of individual mistakes or whatever doesn't take away from the fact that generally yeah, we have controlled games.

Oh, and we are like 4th. That's despite the ridiculous Derby result which will likely never happen again this season with similar possession and shot statistics.

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

What really frustrates me is the the glaringly obvious need to strength in postions we are weak in/short in.

And the realsiation that the decision not to is ultimatley going to cost us points.

We're some cover at LB and a coupld of good CB's from having a very good side/squad.

Both Gibson and Hanley have the turning circles of the titanic and do not fill me with confidence on the ball.

The best bit of defending Gibson did was stopping Vrancic scoring at the far post. 

2 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

And the realsiation that the decision not to is ultimatley going to cost us points.

Hanley is much more of a liability than Gibson I feel.

Had loads of people on here saying that we didn't need a centre back because we had Hanley, a player who was a disaster at the start of last season and who was a bench warmer in our last promotion season.

I honestly think that if Blackburn had the option of Grant Hanley on a free or Daniel Ayala on a free they would have gone for Ayala, who they did actually sign on a free. Which makes me wonder whether we made any enquiries, I suspect not. 

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Are we that OTT?

Not sure that's fair. Majority of the season - sure. Birmingham we utterly dominated.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Hanley is much more of a liability than Gibson I feel.

Had loads of people on here saying that we didn't need a centre back because we had Hanley, a player who was a disaster at the start of last season and who was a bench warmer in our last promotion season.

I honestly think that if Blackburn had the option of Grant Hanley on a free or Daniel Ayala on a free they would have gone for Ayala, who they did actually sign on a free. Which makes me wonder whether we made any enquiries, I suspect not. 

Hanley has been better than Gibson in most of the games they've played together so far.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Been watching iFollow and other ways the most matches for three years now (living here far away), and I feel we did not deserve it. We have very slow paced possession with feeling that we control game, but still not being able to create good scoring chances. We are lacking real threat to get into good position for that final pass. We are not able to play in lanes in final third and therefore are easy to keep out of danger zone. 

It might improve game by game as team gets glued together and more confidence, but I feel that currently the amount of possession is misleading. You can probably agree with that if you count our clear cut chances in couple of last games. I think we had maybe one today, against Brentford's three?

However, I'm really happy that we can still take those points even with pinch of luck and get more time to get attacking game more fluent. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Not sure that's fair. Majority of the season - sure. Birmingham we utterly dominated.

Agreed. 

2 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Yeah thats fair, Birmingham we bossed.

• Like 1

They'll do for me, because no alternatives in CB.  Failing to sign another Cb sheer folly.  Maybe Sorensen can do a job there.

Misfiring Buendia is costing us shame martin injured

2 minutes ago, hepphep said:

Been watching iFollow and other ways the most matches for three years now (living here far away), and I feel we did not deserve it. We have very slow paced possession with feeling that we control game, but still not being able to create good scoring chances. We are lacking real threat to get into good position for that final pass. We are not able to play in lanes in final third and therefore are easy to keep out of danger zone. 

It might improve game by game as team gets glued together and more confidence, but I feel that currently the amount of possession is misleading. You can probably agree with that if you count our clear cut chances in couple of last games. I think we had maybe one today, against Brentford's three?

However, I'm really happy that we can still take those points even with pinch of luck and get more time to get attacking game more fluent. 

Buendia chance,

Vrancic chance which we have seen him score from before

Hanley free header

3 good chances to score in a tough away game and yet again the opponents goal has come from a simple error from us. I agree we are lacking some pace and directness. Hernandez is a big loss, Placheta is game but too raw at present. 

• Like 2

Have to say Gibson has been astonishingly unlucky with two ridiculous yellow cards two games running.....I mean, we played on happily for several passes before the ref suddenly decided it was a foul and a card -awful reffing, letting their player’s acting determine his decision.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Big O said:

Buendia chance,

Vrancic chance which we have seen him score from before

Hanley free header

3 good chances to score in a tough away game and yet again the opponents goal has come from a simple error from us. I agree we are lacking some pace and directness. Hernandez is a big loss, Placheta is game but too raw at present. 

Agreed, your count is better!

Also agree about Hernandez and bit worried we dont get Aarons into attacking positions between lanes as in past.