Tootingyellow

Buendia - Talented but frustrating

I am a massive fan of Buendia. He's the player I least wanted to lose over the summer. I think he has an x-factor ability to unlock defences (his pass to Pukki on Sat being an example) that few others have but too often he looks as though his head's not in the right place. He's often too casual in his passes (conceding posession) and appears to have this sense of entitlement that everythig ought to go his way. He has the potential to be an exceptional player if he can just get his head straight. One goal in 40+ games is not good enough for a player of his ability.

Edited by Tootingyellow

Agreed, but unfortunately if his consistency matched his unbelievable talent, he would not be playing for Norwich City for very long unfortunately. Same goes for a few other of our players. We need them to take it in turns to have an off day (providing they others get the job done!), in order to keep hold of them and enjoy them longer than just one transfer window.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

He's not as good as some of you think. 

Oh he is. You cannot doubt his ability. You can doubt his consistency though. That’s why we’ve still got him.

• Like 6

He is every bit as good as we think...... unfortunately for whatever reason he has always been played out of position, tasked with defensive duties.   

His skill, quality, vision and guile make him a natural No. 10.    His shooting could be better but then he is rarely in the right positions.  The reason for that is, he's been played out of position...... he's not a winger yet people describe him as one.... DF uses him wide where he spends far to much time in deep positions often protecting the full-back (usually Aarons) where he can't impact the game.    That is not his game and no wonder he gets frustrated.     

Personally would play Emi behind the forward and tell him to keep finding spaces in the hole and the others to play off him.   

He is a mood player but the less he has to defend, the more likely he is to be in the mood!   Let him defend further up the field, see the difference. 

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Go on then, how good is he?

First name on the teamsheet for me!

Krul is the 1st on mine! 

Emi has a lot of skill but he does need a better mentality. I think you're right Ged, natural no 10. Play him there and pop someone else on the right and see how he plays there

I have never heard why Farke refuses to play Emi at 10 and instead keeps him out wide.

Presumably there is a reason? Farke has never played Emi at 10. Yet Emi has the has the vision and skills to make space and he can beat a player too so in theory he should be a devastatingly effective 10. More so given that he can operate in tight spaces and we are increasingly being confronted with a back 5. 

Yet Farke prefers Steiperman there and although Steiperman is able enough he's hardly a goals or assists machine.

It always seems odd to me, but presumably Farke has his reasons. 

Imo, his biggest asset in the promotion season apart from his ability to create goals, was his ability to be so quick in the tackle and anticipation in winning the ball back. People may disagree, but I don't think we've seen that so much yet this season - probably as a result of not being quite able to do that much of it last season. If he can recapture that, I believe he will look the player he was in that promotion season.  Just my opinion of course, but to me he hasn't quite got back to his top level yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

He is every bit as good as we think...... unfortunately for whatever reason he has always been played out of position, tasked with defensive duties.   

His skill, quality, vision and guile make him a natural No. 10.    His shooting could be better but then he is rarely in the right positions.  The reason for that is, he's been played out of position...... he's not a winger yet people describe him as one.... DF uses him wide where he spends far to much time in deep positions often protecting the full-back (usually Aarons) where he can't impact the game.    That is not his game and no wonder he gets frustrated.     

Personally would play Emi behind the forward and tell him to keep finding spaces in the hole and the others to play off him.   

He is a mood player but the less he has to defend, the more likely he is to be in the mood!   Let him defend further up the field, see the difference. 

I dont think hes played out of position at all. Our 3 behind the striker are typically narrow and interchange anyway.

Not only that, but it gives him more license to find some space between the lines and drift inside.

I also think his poor shooting plays a factor in him not being totally central. 

Equally, he's very good at pressing and it makes sense to focus that on a fullback tactically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

C:\Slag_Off_Hugill.exe failed to execute

launch C:\Slag_Off_Buendia.exe

You're in danger of becoming a one trick pony on all these threads you comment on. 

You don't contribute anything else but have a go at a go at anyone who dare criticise any player or the club. 

Come on. This isn't reddit.

It's boring now. Move on. 

• Thanks 1

We want our Emi back, the one before his head got turned by his agent or whoever.

I love him and Todd but both have slightly lost their edge in my opinion. I'm not saying they are playing badly, but they need to be playing for the club, not themselves. 

He can certainly pick a pass, but my issue has always been that he doesn't influence games as much as his stats and ability would suggest he should. Certainly if you compare him to players like Grealish or Maddison he isn't (yet) that kind of talismanic player who can turn games around on his own.

His stats last year were impressive and we bought him as a player who had great stats in a poorly performing team but once again those individual stats didn't translate into team success. Perhaps that's why there wasn't a huge amount of interest in him this Summer. 

50 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I dont think hes played out of position at all. Our 3 behind the striker are typically narrow and interchange anyway.

Not only that, but it gives him more license to find some space between the lines and drift inside.

Equally, he's very good at pressing and it makes sense to focus that on a fullback tactically.

Are we actually disagreeing on something, that's rare!     

I'm not saying he doesn't do the wide role well.... if I were Aarons, I would be more than happy with Emi in front of me..... unfortunately for the team however, it means he's not able to be in areas where he can hurt the opposition when we recover possession.   Easier in the EFL than the EPL as the evidence shows of course.    

I agree our 3 interchange but it is usual for Emi and Todd to be wide when defending, don't think anyone can deny that so they don't interchange out of possession.    I disagree completely it gives him more licence to find space... without the defensive duties, he can go where he likes more often and pull defenders out of position because they will sure be more concerned about him than a anyone else we have and that could naturally create more space for Pukki!   

Playing more central and forward, we might see more of his shooting capability (the goal v Swansea with his weak wand) for example... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

His stats last year were impressive and we bought him as a player who had great stats in a poorly performing team but once again those individual stats didn't translate into team success. Perhaps that's why there wasn't a huge amount of interest in him this Summer. 

This has long been my argument about certain players. Can have great stats and yet it is meaningless if the team does badly. People turn round and say "but he was our best player", but then that is scant consolation imo.  It's a team game and success either happens or doesn't happen as a team, not as individuals. 

3 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Oh he is. You cannot doubt his ability. You can doubt his consistency though. That’s why we’ve still got him.

If he was as good as you think he would be consistent. 

You can't argue on the basis of an oxymoron. 

Nobody wants to buy him. 

How many goals and assists has he had in past 20 games? 

He's petulant, and a one season wonder, based on the reality of the stats. 

Edited by Jerrykerry
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

Nobody wants to buy him. 

I will answer that question with exactly the same as my original answer.

49 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

Nobody wants to buy him. 

As for assists, all he can do is put chances on a plate.    Not his fault if we keep mis-firing!    

4 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

You're in danger of becoming a one trick pony on all these threads you comment on. 

You don't contribute anything else but have a go at a go at anyone who dare criticise any player or the club. 

Come on. This isn't reddit.

It's boring now. Move on. 

Cry for me

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

I would actually say there's an argument for starting him further back. We know he's got an excellent engine and - when he's not chucking a tanty - will put a tackle in and try to discharge his defensive duties. However, if his drifting off a wing can be hard work to track, I don't see why he couldn't cause similar problems if running at them from deep with the ball.

Rupp's shown signs of having that in his locker, and Buendia's a much trickier dribbler than Rupp could ever be.

5 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We want our Emi back, the one before his head got turned by his agent or whoever.

I love him and Todd but both have slightly lost their edge in my opinion. I'm not saying they are playing badly, but they need to be playing for the club, not themselves. 

We’re getting decent snippets though, that pass to Pukki last Saturday was decent. 

7 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

His skill, quality, vision and guile make him a natural No. 10.  His shooting could be better

And that right there is why he isn't trusted by Farke at number 10, he isn't enough of a goal threat.

He needs to work on that if he wants that spot in the side. 

5 hours ago, Peanuts said:

Certainly if you compare him to players like Grealish or Maddison he isn't (yet) that kind of talismanic player who can turn games around on his own.

Helps that they can both shoot from range, Buendia just doesn't seem to have that in his arsenal, or at least hasn't shown it for a long time - perhaps we are missing the possibility that he just needs a couple of goals to get going, just like Pukki, last season was demoralising for the whole squad.

He did manage 8 last time in the league.

With the possible exception of Martin Peters he is the most gifted player ever to wear a Norwich shirt. Yes, he is less than perfect but if he didn't have those imperfections he wouldn't be here. 

Virtually every chance we create involves him. I don't really understand why people question him. 

As we have seen from the last two games, this season will be a constant battle against rugged defences and generally well-drilled teams. They will have less "ability" on show but will make up for it with teamwork, tactics and gamesmanship. Most games will be close run things.

That moment of class will always break the deadlock, Buendia has that in his locker. As do others, including Vranci as we know.

To a certain extent we suffered from this last season pre-break. We put on some good showings but were often undone by that moment.

The shoe is on the other foot now. We are one of the fewish teams in the league who will be singled out for special treatment, whether this be parking the bus, play acting, time wasting or roughouse tactics. The likes of Emi Buendia and Cantwell, especially and etc., will need to cope with all this knowing that they and their team mates have that class to overcome it all.

Edited by BroadstairsR

11 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Nobody wants to buy him. 

I think you overstate the case, but have a point. In many ways he reminds me of Hoolahan. Gifted yes, good for City yes, vital to the way we play yes. At Champs level that is excellent, but at Premiership level the weaknesses start to outway the positives, most tellingly the lack of a goal threat, gives the ball away too much, temperament is suspect and reluctance or inability to do the dirty work.

Face it, he was clearly on the market during the window and the price was out there and no one was really interested. Though this cuts both ways, luck for us. We still have a player who can play a big big part in a promtion push.

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And that right there is why he isn't trusted by Farke at number 10, he isn't enough of a goal threat.

He needs to work on that if he wants that spot in the side. 

Don’t buy that At all.   He could play No. 10 and never shoot - he will still create many more goal scoring opportunities than we create now.    
In any event, he would likely have more opportunities to shoot and likely gain confidence once one or two hit the target.