Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Hanley makes it into the official Sky team of the week!

Bizarre. Must purely be based on statistics. I agree that he should be questioned after two mistakes leading to goals in two games. If Zimm is fit I would sooner drop him than put him in team of the week. 

24 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Bizarre. Must purely be based on statistics. I agree that he should be questioned after two mistakes leading to goals in two games. If Zimm is fit I would sooner drop him than put him in team of the week. 

Reading today's EDP it doesn't sound as if we will be seeing ' Zimm ' just yet having missed the last three games.

10 clearances and 9 headers won and the highest pass success rate (95%) combined with no error assessment for allowing their goalscorer to nip in shows that data doesnt always tell the whole story.   Not sure anyone had him as a contender for MOTM?

2 minutes ago, ZLF said:

10 clearances and 9 headers won and the highest pass success rate (95%) combined with no error assessment for allowing their goalscorer to nip in shows that data doesnt always tell the whole story.   Not sure anyone had him as a contender for MOTM?

Yeah it's a good example. Although not for the first game I thought his general play was better than Gibsons - it's just the mistake that's problematic.

Whoscored's overall ratings are the product of some unknown algorithm so difficult to judge much by.

The mistakes have been poor but the plus side is he didn't go into his shell after it happened and he did well in the air against a physical attack. He's still not someone I have a huge amount of faith in though.

I agree I thought Hanley was better than Gibson,  and I am not saying had a bad game,  but his error nearly cost us a win.   I am hoping both can stay fit and improve as they get more pitch time under their belts and start working as a pair.

I'd say - and that's coming from someone who tends to be a goalie more often than not - that the error was more on Krul's side. If a defender is seeing his keeper come forward like he did, it's generally expected that the goalie's coming for it. Krul went forward, then stopped. He really should have given the call there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZLF said:

I agree I thought Hanley was better than Gibson,  and I am not saying had a bad game,  but his error nearly cost us a win.   I am hoping both can stay fit and improve as they get more pitch time under their belts and start working as a pair.

Definitely. I think we've seen examples of how quick Hanley is compared to perception in the last couple games, he's covered for Gibson being caught high a few times.

From the Pinkun article:

"The line-up is decided by WhoScored.com’s official ratings, with City’s captain scoring 8.2 and named as the Man of the Match.

Hanley won two more aerial duels (9) than fellow centre-back Ben Gibson and had a 94 percent pass success rate - higher than anyone on the pitch."

Obviously WhoScored doesn't take into account 'errors leading to goals' like Opta, which is probably the most important statistic a centre-back should be judged on.

He's having decent games but currently with one fairly major error a game costing us. If he can cut out the errors then he will be great at this level. Lets hope its just a bit of rustiness.

IMHO, the error was from Krul rather than Hanley. It looks to me like he called so Hanley leaves it but then chickened out and was left in no mans land! 

I think the hesitation was from both TK and GH but it seems Hanley is easier to criticise and therefore it was his mistake.  
Tbh both have looked ok to me, could be the start of a decent partnership.  IMO Gibson’s yellow card wasn’t even a foul, and the pen-that-wasn’t was spot on by the ref, nowhere near enough in it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

He's having decent games but currently with one fairly major error a game costing us. If he can cut out the errors then he will be great at this level. Lets hope its just a bit of rustiness.

Good point you raise regarding rustiness, Jim, and this shouldn’t be overlooked. It’s maybe 3 games back for Grant but they’ve all been played over the course of just 1 week (8 days if anyone’s pedantic), and he’s not played competitive football for months! So I’d say he’s doing pretty damn good so far. Same with Gibson, a very long time out but we can already see signs of what he’s capable of.

2 hours ago, Clint said:

IMHO, the error was from Krul rather than Hanley. It looks to me like he called so Hanley leaves it but then chickened out and was left in no mans land! 

It was weird the way he stopped & turned, as if someone had called him from the outfield? Was a total shambles though.

5 hours ago, WD40 said:

Thank God you're not the coach then.....!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ZLF said:

Or looking at it the other way his 3 clearances off the line would have cost us a win had he not made them.

He seems to have an error in him, but for the rest of the game looks good. He has been out a while, bit more match sharpness and he will (hopefully) cut the errors out!

I don't think you can blame Hanley for the goal on Saturday - Krul didn't know whether to stick or twist and should have given Hanley the shout to clear it at the very least.

For the first time in a while I feel pretty relaxed about our back four. Aarons had a poor game IMO but we coped fine in the end.

• Like 1

The situation leading to the goal should have been controlled by Krul. The only person calling for the ball in the penalty area involving the keeper must be the keeper. He has to let the defenders know just what he is doing. Not only can he tell the centre backs when to leave it he can also tell them when to clear it. All the play is in front of the keeper and the defensive play should be controlled by him. We are very lucky to have such a good keeper as Tim but on this occasion he was more at fault than Grant.  

1 minute ago, Yellow Wal said:

The situation leading to the goal should have been controlled by Krul. The only person calling for the ball in the penalty area involving the keeper must be the keeper. He has to let the defenders know just what he is doing. Not only can he tell the centre backs when to leave it he can also tell them when to clear it. All the play is in front of the keeper and the defensive play should be controlled by him. We are very lucky to have such a good keeper as Tim but on this occasion he was more at fault than Grant.  

If he doesn’t call, Grant needs to act! 

Just now, Dr Greenthumb said:
2 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Yep, it was a bit of lack of being completely at it, but that happens sometimes, for whatever reason, but most of the time Hanley is totally on it and that will improve with game time.

2 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Did he call? Did he call 'away'? If Tim did not call for Grant to leave it, and was not coming to collect it, he was in a very strange position.

I think they must have used the same computer that FIFA use to determining world national rankings. i.e. Switzerland being the 8th best national team in world football, Iran 21st.

25 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yep, it was a bit of lack of being completely at it, but that happens sometimes, for whatever reason, but most of the time Hanley is totally on it and that will improve with game time.

I like Hanley and he made an error, that thankfully wasn’t costly! 
He needs to remember a basic rule that I learnt at under 11s. “If in doubt, kick it out!”

26 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Did he call? Did he call 'away'? If Tim did not call for Grant to leave it, and was not coming to collect it, he was in a very strange position.

It would be strange for Tim to call and not react! If he did, then Hanley need not worry about the situation being his fault.

One error and you all think he’s not good enough.Solid defender good captain,But hey ho somebody’s got to be a scapegoat otbc

• Like 3