Decent line up although would like to see Stiepermann starting for Vrancic, with Vrancic coming on around 70th minute.

Desperate to see Tetts get some minutes 

I really would not start Vrancic. He's far better off the bench if we're building pressure. I'd swap Skipp for Tettey, as he could possibly use a break as it's essentially his first full season as a regular starter, so watching his load will be prudent.

Could be worth putting McLean in the hole instead of Stiepermann due to his height and better aerial ability. Brentford like to play good football as well as we do, but that also means a precise, direct ball could be a valuable counter-attack method. Apart from that, don't change too much for the next two as we're up against good ball-playing sides.

I’m not sure Tettey will be risked as a starter while he’s covering cb with Zimbo out.  Something hasn’t totally clicked yet, but I don’t think we are too far off so we aren’t likely to make too many changes.  I would like to see Placheta get more minutes though.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, crab man said:

Decent line up although would like to see Stiepermann starting for Vrancic, with Vrancic coming on around 70th minute.

Desperate to see Tetts get some minutes 

Saw Stiepermann today pushing a buggy around Eaton Park with his dog.

I would fit Placheta in somehow for this game. I know they haven't started brilliantly but I think Brentford will try to play against us, rather that sit on their goal line and that will leave space for his speed. Also, for the love of god leave him forward on defensive set pieces, it would terrify them.

Whilst that is what I would do, I expect he will keep the same team.

• Like 1

I’d play the same team again but put Stiepermann in for Hugill. The extra craft and link up play will set Pukki free IMO.

Krul

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Quintilla

Skipp & Rupp

Emi, Stiepermann, Cantwell

Pukki

40 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I would fit Placheta in somehow for this game. I know they haven't started brilliantly but I think Brentford will try to play against us, rather that sit on their goal line and that will leave space for his speed. Also, for the love of god leave him forward on defensive set pieces, it would terrify them.

Whilst that is what I would do, I expect he will keep the same team.

I’m similar, I would bring him for Hudgil especially as Idah not an option. I would also bring Tettey in for Skipp but it’s a good point made above lack of defensive cover.

my one big worry from Brentford is a centre forward in form and pace down the right. We haven’t really seen Quintilla go backwards yet and we need him to be solid with our lack Of options there or teams will start to target him. 

Just now, Big O said:

I’m similar, I would bring him (Placheta) in for Hudgil especially as Idah not an option. I would also bring Tettey in for Skipp but it’s a good point made above re lack of defensive cover.

my one big worry from Brentford is a centre forward in form and pace down the right. We haven’t really seen Quintilla go backwards yet and we need him to be solid with our lack Of options there or teams will start to target him. 

Edited by Big O

Not sure if I'm buying this 'Vrancic can't play 90 mins' business??

...granted he possibly couldnt every Sat-Tues-Sat but for this game I think its fairly obvious

Rupp   Skipp

Buendia      Vrancic    Cantwell

Pukki

...still got Rupp and Skipp to do the leg work, Vrancic is there to thread a ball through to Pukki and for free kicks

Steipermann and/or Hugill off the bench if required

Think Vrancic deserves a start if changes are made but I’d prefer to see Martin. 

Krul

Usual back 4

Tettey and Rupp (rest for Skipp) 

Martin (Vrancic), Buendia 10, Cantwell

Pukki

subs.. GK, Mumba, Vrancic (Martin), Sorensen (need to get him involved), Skipp, Platcheta, Hugill.

considering Farke not like to change wining team if not must I belive for tactical reasons we will have only 1 change.

With red card Idah missed bench we must have back up striker there and Hugill will be on bench with Mario will start number 10 role because he deserved that after 2 key goals last week.

Only possible other change can be Tettey for Skipp imo becasue Oliver look a bit tired last game.

Krul

Aarons, Hanley, Gibson, Quintilla

Skipp - Rupp

Buendia, Mario, Cantwell

Pukki

• Like 1

Id prefer Stiepperman to Vrancic starting in order to steady the ship defensively to begin with.

Vrancic should be a must used sub. at some time ... but less hope it's not needed in a "supersub" capacity as for the last two wins.

With Vrancic, Hugill, Idah and Placetta it would seem that we have quite a bit of strength in the "supersub" category. I feel that this is a major plus and defines us as as being, imo,  one of the most outstanding sides in the league.

It's not just strength in depth for when the 'injury season' kicks in, but is also having the abilty to bring quality 'game-changers' on when appropriate. 

I think we have found Vrancics role;   over the last couple of years he has rarely done well starting while consistently providing his best performances from the bench.    His lack of mobility means he is best against tiring opponents while his quality on the ball means he does exploit gaps in championship defences.  

I would stick with Skipp for now,  use his energy and ability to move the ball to tire opponents until the 70th min or so then swap for mario. His form may have dipped but he remains a far better performer than the alternative of Kenny.  Tettey may be better but we have to move forward at some stage.   Rupp has made that role his own.

Hugill is the biggest concern for me.   When we needed him to hold onto the ball at the weekend he simply was not there, didnt hold it up or link up well,  with only 5 of his total 9 passes  finding a colleague.   He simplay wasnt involved enough and like Vrancic use him to change the game.  Move Teemu back to his prime position and look for todd and emi (both improving game on game).

Idah has a ban just when he may have been the best person to join emi & todd;  as it is it looks like a fit again Steipi walks straight back in for me.

As for the back line,  it picks itself;  however Gibson & Hanley look vulnerable and will need t o be sharper against the better sides coming up,  while for all the beauty of Xavis crosses they have failed to find a city player, incl Hugill, too often - learning to use that great weapon more effectively looks like his challenge. 

A very big weak ahead but plenty to be optimistic for

Krul

Aarons  Hanley  Gibson  Quintilla

Skipp   Rupp

Emi  Stiepermann  Cantwell

Pukki

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Id prefer Stiepperman to Vrancic starting in order to steady the ship defensively to begin with.

Vrancic should be a must used sub. at some time ... but less hope it's not needed in a "supersub" capacity as for the last two wins.

With Vrancic, Hugill, Idah and Placetta it would seem that we have quite a bit of strength in the "supersub" category. I feel that this is a major plus and defines us as as being, imo,  one of the most outstanding sides in the league.

It's not just strength in depth for when the 'injury season' kicks in, but is also having the abilty to bring quality 'game-changers' on when appropriate. 

What do you think Stiepermann offers the team that puts him ahead of the others you quote and Martin?

27 minutes ago, ZLF said:

I think we have found Vrancics role;   over the last couple of years he has rarely done well starting while consistently providing his best performances from the bench.    His lack of mobility means he is best against tiring opponents while his quality on the ball means he does exploit gaps in championship defences.  

I would stick with Skipp for now,  use his energy and ability to move the ball to tire opponents until the 70th min or so then swap for mario. His form may have dipped but he remains a far better performer than the alternative of Kenny.  Tettey may be better but we have to move forward at some stage.   Rupp has made that role his own.

Hugill is the biggest concern for me.   When we needed him to hold onto the ball at the weekend he simply was not there, didnt hold it up or link up well,  with only 5 of his total 9 passes  finding a colleague.   He simplay wasnt involved enough and like Vrancic use him to change the game.  Move Teemu back to his prime position and look for todd and emi (both improving game on game).

Idah has a ban just when he may have been the best person to join emi & todd;  as it is it looks like a fit again Steipi walks straight back in for me.

As for the back line,  it picks itself;  however Gibson & Hanley look vulnerable and will need t o be sharper against the better sides coming up,  while for all the beauty of Xavis crosses they have failed to find a city player, incl Hugill, too often - learning to use that great weapon more effectively looks like his challenge. 

A very big weak ahead but plenty to be optimistic for

Krul

Aarons  Hanley  Gibson  Quintilla

Skipp   Rupp

Emi  Stiepermann  Cantwell

Pukki

What do you think Stiepermann offers the team that puts him ahead of the others?

"I think we have found Vrancics role;   over the last couple of years he has rarely done well starting while consistently providing his best performances from the bench.    His lack of mobility means he is best against tiring opponents while his quality on the ball means he does exploit gaps in championship defences."

I agree entirely with that, but the snag is that we could well get a free kick in one of 'his positions' in the first five minutes and therefore be denied the exceptional talent that is sitting on the bench.

Who else in the sqad is capable of what he does? We've had Snodgrass and Madisson in the recent past, but only Vrancic now.

'Only' being the wrong word as it's not a widespread talent, with not many 'Beckhams' existing in the Championship for sure.

Edited by BroadstairsR

16 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

"I think we have found Vrancics role;   over the last couple of years he has rarely done well starting while consistently providing his best performances from the bench.    His lack of mobility means he is best against tiring opponents while his quality on the ball means he does exploit gaps in championship defences."

I agree entirely with that, but the snag is that we could well get a free kick in one of 'his positions' in the first five minutes and therefore be denied the exceptional talent that is sitting on the bench.

Who else in the sqad is capable of what he does? We've had Snodgrass and Madisson in the recent past, but only Vrancic now.

'Only' being the wrong word as it's not a widespread talent, with not many 'Beckhams' existing in the Championship for sure.

Quintilla's deliveries are pretty good. I think that technique can be transferred over to a decent free kick (not as good as Super Mario's, obviously) 

40 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

"I think we have found Vrancics role;   over the last couple of years he has rarely done well starting while consistently providing his best performances from the bench.

That's simply not true broady.

In our last promotion season, Vrancic scored 10 and assisted 7, out of the 10 goals, SEVEN were scored in games where he played the full 90 minutes, and four of his seven assists were also where he played for 80+ minutes (3 x 90 and 1x85).

So 70% of his goals and 57% of his assists came when he played the full match rather than coming on as a sub.

I don't know where this idea has come from that he's only a super sub or can't play a full game, the stats don't lie (and neither did my eyes in that season).

• Like 2

I think we need a bit more solidity in front of the back four for this one (they are a dangerous side if you give them space and time on the ball) so i'd go:

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Quintilla

Tettey Skipp

Buendia Stiepermann Cantwell

Pukki

Hugill still starts for me, he allows us to mix up play. Whether or not he's going to score 20 goals this year is another debate. But, if you're defending against someone who is able to flick the ball on, hold it up and chase everything in behind the back line after a long ball, you need to sit back an extra 10 yards. Whether or not he actually gets on the end of them, without him we have no target for crosses again and the play becomes very one-dimensional. The options he provides changes the opposition set up and allows us space in the no.10 position. We became too predictable with just Pukki week in week out, especially when the supply was cut out in midfield. I'd start as we did against Wycombe and see how the game progresses. 

43 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

That's simply not true broady.

In our last promotion season, Vrancic scored 10 and assisted 7, out of the 10 goals, SEVEN were scored in games where he played the full 90 minutes, and four of his seven assists were also where he played for 80+ minutes (3 x 90 and 1x85).

So 70% of his goals and 57% of his assists came when he played the full match rather than coming on as a sub.

I don't know where this idea has come from that he's only a super sub or can't play a full game, the stats don't lie (and neither did my eyes in that season).

I think he can play a full game but I also think that is he does play the full game then we need a midfielder with him who is just prepared to sit because Vrancic cannot get back when the opposition are breaking. The same can be said of Emi and Todd (who can but often doesn;t) so to play all three does leave us exposed to teams who are good on the counter.

You could of course deal with tthat by playing Vrancic in the role behind the striker but i'm not sure he's as effective there. If you do, Rupp and Skipp will both need to sit a bit deeper like Skipp did at Bournemouth.

A lot want Steipermann back in the team.... can anyone explain why?   What does he offer the team?   What's he done so far to deserve a recall?...   What does he bring to the side that Martin, Vrancic, Platcheta, or McLean (in that forward role) wouldn't?   What short or long term benefit does his selection offer?      

Personally I wouldn't have Stiepermann anywhere near the starting 11. Think we have other options who would bring alot more to the side. 

I think moving Buendia or Cantwell inside to no10 would benefit us more. When we have players like McLean, Placheta, Martin who can go out on that side. 

Krul

Aarons Gibson Hanley Quintilla

Tettey Rupp

Buendia Cantwell Placheta

Pukki

McGovern, Zimmermann, Skipp, Mclean, Vrancic, Martin, Hugill

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

Would go with this too.

Nah. Vrancic is not a starter. That system has been sussed out. Pukki stranded with little service, 3 central midfielders too deep. Cantwell will play as a no.10 so the width comes from Quintilla on the left, putting crosses into no one or playing backwards. Buendia getting frustrated as there's too much of a gap between defence and midfield so drops too deep as well. Doesn't work, or is easy to play against from an opposition perspective. If you want to play that way I'd drop Cantwell and put in placheta for width and an out ball using his pace in behind.