What Hugill IS providing whilst looking slightly at odds with the way we play (agree with OP on this point), is that when played with Pukki, he takes some of the defenders to try and cover his moves, thereby leaving space for Teemu (see our first goal yesterday). It is a really good move from Farke as he has changed his set up recently with the both of them on the pitch. It just creates a few more spaces.

I think he needs a bit of a run like every player and I'm sure he will be good for 10+ goals toward the end of the season. He is still working out how the midfield plays and where they can find him. Pukki and Buendia know each others games so I reckon Hugill will develop a similar understanding with midfield suppliers.

Both on the pitch though gives defenders more to think about.

He's a classic grafter type player but not hugely high quality. He'll always occupy defenders but his touch and general ability on the ball means he's not likely to fit into our swift passing style easily.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian said:

Excel documents aren't executables bud.

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Beat me to it. Can I be in the cool IT club too?

But technically, he could have been intending to run up a VB Shell within excel which in turns fires an exe. 

.....Can I be the president of the cool IT club?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daisy said:

Blimey!  give the guy a chance, a couple of starts in a new system and you want him to be the new Holty. He`s now playing up top with a strike partner, lots of us wanted to see two strikers playing together so lets just give them some time to gel. Results wise we`ve not done too bad lately so once him and Pukki start hitting it off we should have something to get excited about.

This is an initial inquisition Daisy ! More will come as the season moves along !

Up to this point - hasn't got the skillset but has the right attitude - which is all that is required my some of the posters on this forum.

Would rather give him half a season before making a judgement. Even Iwan was rubbish for his first few months.

• Like 1

In the last couple of games I'd say that Hugill has struggled to get on the same wavelength as Pukki, Buendia and Cantwell. That isn't that surprising as, considering his limited time for West Ham it's unlikely that he's played in a team with this sort of technical quality and style of pass and move.

I can see us going back at some stage to Stiepermann with Pukki up top. That may not be just yet because we've been winning and Hugill does contribute by adding much needed physicality to the side. 

However, I agree with some others that he does have a part to play and to some extent we need to get better at feeding his strengths by picking him out with our new found crossing strength with Quintilla. 

We are a work in progress at the moment and it's vital that all the new players get time to bed in. Apart from Gibson who has looked very much at home, albeit it's easier for centre halves as they have more time on the ball and can keep things relatively simple, the others still need to work on the training ground and learn that familiarity in patterns of play. Hugill has on'y played what, three league games so far. 

The likes of Placheta haven't really yet shown what they can do but you can see that there is skill and pace to work with there. What I'm encouraged about is that all the signings look like they've got something to contribute given time and work at Colney.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

But technically, he could have been intending to run up a VB Shell within excel which in turns fires an exe. 

.....Can I be the president of the cool IT club?

This is getting competitive now. How many cores are you running on your desktop, what's your resolution and do you use water cooling?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

So basically, 10 minutes vs Derby and Hugill is amazing, plays a few games and he's demoted to being bang average? 

Picking out one player to deride in such a way keeps up with the weekly quota for the PinkUn forum, you must realise this surely?

Hugill is what he is, what it says on the tin etc. He has a bit of improvement to do, possibly due to the 'fitting in' factor and the fact that he was denied football for a spell, but I do think that what we get now is, more or less, what we will get in the future.

He provides variety in attack for those occasions when this is necessary. Another dimension.

He could do with a goal, but not as a starter, imo.

Edited by BroadstairsR

23 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

So basically, 10 minutes vs Derby and Hugill is amazing, plays a few games and he's demoted to being bang average? 

So basically, a player plays well for 10 minutes and people are impressed, they see him play less well and revise their opinion?

What is the issue?

1 minute ago, king canary said:

So basically, a player plays well for 10 minutes and people are impressed, they see him play less well and revise their opinion?

What is the issue?

Jumping to conclusions off, so far, insufficient evidence. We've had a fair few examples of players who looked shonky but have turned it around. Vrancic and Stiepermann are two obvious members of that club, and Rupp's application is currently getting a thorough look-over.

54 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

This is getting competitive now. How many cores are you running on your desktop, what's your resolution and do you use water cooling?

Sorry to interrupt you nerds, but check out my 32 core desktop, water cooling on my phone and 4G resolution on my time machine. Kerpow.

On Hugill, bring him on for penalties. Biff.

Edited by GenerationA47
Hugill
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Jumping to conclusions off, so far, insufficient evidence. We've had a fair few examples of players who looked shonky but have turned it around. Vrancic and Stiepermann are two obvious members of that club, and Rupp's application is currently getting a thorough look-over.

Well unless you want to ban discussion on players before they've played X number of games you're always going to get that.

I'd much prefer people being willing to change their mind on a player based on what they see that doggedly sticking to first impressions.

56 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well unless you want to ban discussion on players before they've played X number of games you're always going to get that.

I'd much prefer people being willing to change their mind on a player based on what they see that doggedly sticking to first impressions.

Not banning at all, but IMO people should remember that all they are talking about are first impressions - and moreover, due to the nature of team sports, first impressions are over a longer period than many surmise. That's all.

I would generally say you need a full season unless you've got a complete and utter outlier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not banning at all, but IMO people should remember that all they are talking about are first impressions - and moreover, due to the nature of team sports, first impressions are over a longer period than many surmise. That's all.

I would generally say you need a full season unless you've got a complete and utter outlier.

Fair- does that apply to positive impressions too though?

I do remember a poster on here insisting that Wes was ****e based on his first 6 months here and refusing to change his mind, even as he tore League One and the Championship to shreds- remarkable dedication to being wrong.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Fair- does that apply to positive impressions too though?

I do remember a poster on here insisting that Wes was ****e based on his first 6 months here and refusing to change his mind, even as he tore League One and the Championship to shreds- remarkable dedication to being wrong.

Cuts all ways. Perfectly possible to have someone who starts well then goes to pot. We were all thinking that about the likes of Wildschut. Hold the horses, that's all!!

Edited by TheGunnShow

1 hour ago, GenerationA47 said:

On Hugill, bring him on for penalties. Biff.

It's about time that soccer embraced the concept of 'special teams' from the NFL.

A Hugill on to take penalties.

A Vrancic on to take free kicks.

Geneticists could clone Rory Delap for throw ins.

Krull to save penalties.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

It's about time that soccer embraced the concept of 'special teams' from the NFL.

Krull to save penalties.

Precisely. And don’t forget they should each be subbed off immediately after performing the action in question

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Krull to save penalties.

You could have Tony Andreu for the after match poem?

I think Hugill has met most people's expectations tbh. Is never going to be the best technically, but hopefully will put the chances away when he gets them.

If anything I've been more underwhelmed by Buendia and Cantwell so far this season.

Defensively this guy has chipped in and we seem to be winning games that he is taking part in. He will come good. 

Just needs to chip in with some goals.

On 25/10/2020 at 12:24, Jersey Canary said:

Is it me or is Hugill not suiting our style of play and lacks quality? He might be good for the last 10 mins barrage of the opposition if we’re losing but what I’ve seen of him so far I’m not impressed.

I agree when judging his games so far, but lets not forget that he's only started 2 games and that for every player who hits the ground running on day one there is one other who takes some time to adapt. 

Rupp and Vrancic for example. Granted Hugill has come from another Championship side rather than an entire different country, but Iwan Roberts was one who didn't set the world alight for a while after joining from a divisional rival.

He probably does lack quality, but I do think his performances will improve a bit. I fancy him to be a big game player as well, wouldn't surprise me if he's one for the big moments in a promotion run in. Simeon Jackson always lacked quality, yet in 2 months of good form he cemented his place as a cult hero.

And we can't exactly call for Idah right now can we, he's just blown his chance for the next 3 games, I also want Pukki to get a run in that number 10 spot.... so for me Hugill stays in the team for the time being and we see where he's at in a few games. 

23 hours ago, king canary said:

What is the issue?

The issue is that's it's unfair on the guy to big him up based on a 10 minute cameo only to knock him down when he doesn't meet the expectations in the next couple of games. There is nothing wrong with people changing their mind but for me, it's too early to have made up my mind to start with. I wasn't particularly excited by signing Hugill but I will at least give him time to impress me. I'm not going to judge him based off a few games or a substitute appearance.