During the melee in the wall before the kick was taken Mario moved the ball back a touch so he could get it up and over.

Peach.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

I know EA are far from knowing much about football but they seem to have made a mistake on his Fifa 21 player, I could swear his free kick stat isnt 99 😉

EA.png

Someone has been in and altered that then since I told them to up it into the 80s.

Wycombe one is technically better. Less distance to get it up and over, more in the corner, keeper didn’t even move. It just needed fans in the ground to really show Mario the appreciation for how good it was!

2 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Which is better?

Also, games need fans

And interactive soundtracks! Thanks for the memory & the music. 
That one was maybe more ‘important’ in context and in hindsight.. today’s one seemed slightly more purely skilful.

but who knows what a difference these 2 points might make at the end of the slog

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Wycombe one is technically better. Less distance to get it up and over, more in the corner, keeper didn’t even move. It just needed fans in the ground to really show Mario the appreciation for how good it was!

1. Snap!

2. And Dion*

*Dublin, cheering in the studio. Also: a legendary female chanteuse belting out Celtic-style** power ballads over the PA

**No. Not YNWA 

I used to quite like watching him practice those before the game, which he did every week.  For me that was better than v Sheff Wed, the keeper had no chance with either but this one couldn’t have been placed better, right inside the post.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Although the last week has been sensational for our late winners it would have been vastly better had we not had this damn virus stopping fans attending. At Rotherham, 2000 Yellows would have gone mental when our goals went in in front of travelling army. Similarly the late, late Vrancic goals at the Barclay End would have sparked mad scenes.

Todays free kick was totally sublime. He just seemed to almost flick the ball up gently into the inside of the side netting.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Although the last week has been sensational for our late winners it would have been vastly better had we not had this damn virus stopping fans attending. At Rotherham, 2000 Yellows would have gone mental when our goals went in in front of travelling army. Similarly the late, late Vrancic goals at the Barclay End would have sparked mad scenes.

Todays free kick was totally sublime. He just seemed to almost flick the ball up gently into the inside of the side netting.  

Hmmm maybe, but just imagine how many people would've been moaning, booing and screaming "get'ut fooorward!" before those things happened. I think our players being allowed to be patient is working in our favour right now.

• Like 1

'Football without fans is nothing' Mr Carrow.

It's all about atmosphere, emotion, adrenaline and colour. Every single Canary would have gone home tonight absolutely buzzing. Even the players celebration when the freekick went in was decidedly muted. No running mad, sliding along the grass, piling in a heap in celebration. This whole thing is limp and artificial. It's very worrying that we almost certainly have an entire season with no fans in stadiums.   

In my experience fans don't go to matches to sit back quietly for 95 minutes and watch the 'technical' side of the game as if they were at a theatre watching ballet. Football is all about emotion and passion and long may it remain so. If (on occasions) fans frustrations boil over into voicing displeasure at their teams tactics / performance then that's just part of the whole package. You can bet your life that players would quickly accept that if they could get back to playing and celebrating in front of full houses and travelling away support again!   

• Like 1

Not strictly on topic but some memories here. Id probably have included Drury's goal against Middlesbrough in the 4-4. Not a spectacular goal, but to complete a comeback from 4-1 down 10 minutes earlier Id have included it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

'Football without fans is nothing' Mr Carrow.

It's all about atmosphere, emotion, adrenaline and colour. Every single Canary would have gone home tonight absolutely buzzing. Even the players celebration when the freekick went in was decidedly muted. No running mad, sliding along the grass, piling in a heap in celebration. This whole thing is limp and artificial. It's very worrying that we almost certainly have an entire season with no fans in stadiums.   

In my experience fans don't go to matches to sit back quietly for 95 minutes and watch the 'technical' side of the game as if they were at a theatre watching ballet. Football is all about emotion and passion and long may it remain so. If (on occasions) fans frustrations boil over into voicing displeasure at their teams tactics / performance then that's just part of the whole package. You can bet your life that players would quickly accept that if they could get back to playing and celebrating in front of full houses and travelling away support again!   

One of the reasons why relegated prem teams often struggle is the "it's only Wycombe" factor in which many fans turn up expecting a 5-0 win then get negative and disgruntled if their team is not on track by half time. I can absolutely guarantee that there would have been boos at half time today and that could well have negatively affected the players.

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Football is empty without the fans. I have very little interest in watching without the fans, just seems so flat 😞

It is still important that we keep interested - the players are carrying on for us and are keeping football going until fans can return. In that respect every bit of success they have we should try and celebrate imo. 

37 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It is still important that we keep interested - the players are carrying on for us and are keeping football going until fans can return. In that respect every bit of success they have we should try and celebrate imo. 

I know you're right Lakey. But it's a tough watch. Super Mario's free kick and I'm like "yay we win" no real emotional investment. Just detached. Totally.

If I'm in the stadium I've given 90 mins total support by the time that happens. Then it's special. We're all as one. Farke would have given it the biggun and supporters would have loved it.

No way would Idah have got a red card with 27,000 in the stadium. They miss us too.

Many more weeks of this and I'll be turning into a miserable critic on the match thread.....

There's just no joy.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:
10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I know you're right Lakey. But it's a tough watch. Super Mario's free kick and I'm like "yay we win" no real emotional investment. Just detached. Totally.

If I'm in the stadium I've given 90 mins total support by the time that happens. Then it's special. We're all as one. Farke would have given it the biggun and supporters would have loved it.

No way would Idah have got a red card with 27,000 in the stadium. They miss us too.

Many more weeks of this and I'll be turning into a miserable critic on the match thread.....

There's just no joy.

It's tough, I know. I didn't go every week like most of you on here, but I can certainly understand that feeling of not being able to participate and get the full enjoyment from something you are so used to doing.

Hopefully they will re-introduce a limited fan involvement again soon.  That would help the players and it would help those of us that can't go to at least see fans there and see a bit more spontaneous reaction to the onfield ups and downs. 

Anyone else spot Buendia's applause (best from the River End camera) , once Mario had scored?

Edited by Crabbycanary3

41 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Anyone else spot Buendia's head in his hands moment (best from the River End camera) , once Mario had scored?

Not till you pointed it out!. In awe of the quality? Appalled by the second ICHBY moment in as many games?

As favourite goals to watch, now and for many a year to come, I will always enjoy his goal versus Sheff Wed and now this one too. They have drama in the set up...and even though you know the outcome, you experience the same anticipation every time.

Even when you replay. It's weird. It's like the law of diminishing returns no longer applies! He still puts it into the top right hand corner and the keeper can do nothing. Yesterday, even if  the keeper knew Mario would go that way, he was never going to get there. Marvellous Mario.

Edited by sonyc

15 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Not till you pointed it out!. In awe of the quality? Appalled by the second ICHBY moment in as many games?

I changed the description because applause was accurate, but Emi was just in awe 

• Like 1