ron obvious

today's team now up

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Mario has saved Farke a lot of grief for sure.

We've beaten 3 poor teams, the next 2 games will show how far we've come.

Disagree - we've beaten three classic Championship teams. Big, dirty, physical teams with little actual talent who we usually struggle against. Good signs, not bad. Exactly the type of team we got murdered by last season - Burnley, Brighton etc. Against football teams like Brentford and Bristol City we have every chance of outplaying them our way.

• Like 5

Couple of observations. I'd read that Quintilla was a good crosser of the ball. Not so much, on what I've seen. And I stopped counting after the third time the Wycombe keeper was not penalised for handling the ball outside the penalty area when kicking from hand.

Just now, Well b back said:

Bit of a shout out for Hanley I think, after that mistake was excellent.

Good luck with that on here.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Same against Rotherham too. He's clearly working his way back into form, but his professionalism and attitude is excellent when confronted with the fact he's dropped a schnitzer.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Agreed, he's actually pretty important for us when we've got these physical teams to play

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nothing like a woeful performance. Complete dominance bar a couple of small periods in the game.

First 10 mins yes, but after that it was a complete slog until the final 20 or so when we were at them again.

I'd expect a lot more than 2-1 if it was complete dominance.

The game control will come hopefully. Still think the centre of the park is too soft at times under pressure.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

How many times are we going to have to pull something out because of a defender making a simple mistake every game?

You can be great for 89 minutes, but if in that remaining minute you let them score, the result can be awful.

Sadly we've got a long history of having defenders who can be excellent for the majority of the game, but then suddenly switch off or lose the plot out of nowhere and boom - goal conceded, or boom - penalty given away.

I'm not going to lambast Hanley for failing to clear when they scored, but I do hope we can stop this silly little lapses as it keeps costing us.

Also, I think Hanley was better than Gibson today.

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Good luck with that on here.

Agree with that.

But would have struggled without him today, his type of game and the sort of aerial bombardment we seem to have struggled with, even 2 seasons ago.

Reminds me of the start of Neil Adams' season in charge. Getting some very unconvincing wins in strange games with our individual quality making the difference...and it didn't last. Of course we eventually went on to get promoted in that season, but it took a drastic change before we started performing consistently as a team.

On the basis of what i've seen so far we look a mid table side to me. We've come full circle from when Webber first arrived. We've recouped around 70m in player sales, received 100m for our season in the PL and will get 40m in parachute payments this year and next. For all that we have an average Championship squad, a new training ground and have some money in the bank to take the pressure off of our owners financially for the next 5 or so years. As a supporter I find that extremely underwhelming. 

• Like 1

We huffed and puffed and got another 3 points. I think the next few weeks will start to tell us where we are for a few reasons:

1. the games are coming thick and fast and teams are going to have to start going deeper into their squads this should help us;

2. you could argue we look disjointed (I have) you could also argue we look like we aren’t far away from clicking and scoring for fun;

3. Pukki is looking increasingly sharp; and

4. We are playing better teams than Rotherham, Birmingham, Derby and Wycombe. 

I always think the key in the championship is to recognise you will have tough spells where you have to pick up points and then make hay when you are in good form. If we click and pick up 8+ points from the next 5 games then you would think we have a decent chance of playoffs this year. 

5 minutes ago, Well b back said:

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Agreed, he's actually pretty important for us when we've got these physical teams to play

I remember him being immense at Sheffield Utd last season!! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Think he was better than Gibson who struggled with the physicality of that brute Wycombe brought on.

10 minutes ago, Well b back said:

He was OK at best- both our central defenders got bullied for most of the first half.

Wouldn't call it complete dominance far from it but we huffed and puffed and ground out the right result. A draw would have felt like a defeat against a team with 0 points, and you can see why. 

Plenty for Farke to think about and two tough games coming up.

Results are everything, get to the top of the league asap.

it was like watching the Dog & Duck on a Sunday morning, complete with Sunday morning Ref.

The amount of time they wasted was obscene. The keeper hanging on to the ball, time taken to take a free kick/throw in. 5 minutes at the end of the second half should have been nearly doubled. Not once did I see the Ref telling them to get on with it, there could have been 4 or 5 yellows for time wasting.

How did the Ref miss Gibson's shirt  being pulled so tightly you could see his number on the front? The lino was closer and he didn't see if either

Wycombe looked cute in wasting time certainly. Their management team (and directors!) were shouting for every foul and this ref caved in. 

Wycombe were far better than Brum going off that performance. I think some people are letting the fact they hadn't scored a point blind them a little bit to their actual level of performance. They ran both Millwall and Reading very close in their previous games and arguably edged it against Reading but lost 1-0.

Like Rotherham, it was a hard arm-wrestle and a more primeval game of muck and nettles, which is the kind of thing we've generally not done well in, especially in the Premiership. We often play better against the footballing sides, and in Brentford and Bristol City, we've got two good footballing opponents up next.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it earlier in this thread but the Radio Norfolk commentary today was appalling. Don't know who the sidekick was but he didn't have a clue. Anyone just listening would have thought that Wycombe were playing us off the pitch 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Reminds me of the start of Neil Adams' season in charge. Getting some very unconvincing wins in strange games with our individual quality making the difference...and it didn't last. Of course we eventually went on to get promoted in that season, but it took a drastic change before we started performing consistently as a team.

On the basis of what i've seen so far we look a mid table side to me. We've come full circle from when Webber first arrived. We've recouped around 70m in player sales, received 100m for our season in the PL and will get 40m in parachute payments this year and next. For all that we have an average Championship squad, a new training ground and have some money in the bank to take the pressure off of our owners financially for the next 5 or so years. As a supporter I find that extremely underwhelming. 

In Neil Adams games were we having over 75% of the ball and 20 shots on goal?

I don't know so it's just a question. I've just looked and I suggest no.

To start criticisng Webber for making money and having an average championship squad is not only premature but extremely harsh. 

I think, as per usual, Webber, Farke & Co will prove you lot wrong and then it'll all start over again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it earlier in this thread but the Radio Norfolk commentary today was appalling. Don't know who the sidekick was but he didn't have a clue. Anyone just listening would have thought that Wycombe were playing us off the pitch 

Coote?

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Adrian Coote

How often have I seen this game We're SO dominant, SO far ahead of the opposition in footballing terms that we just ignore them. Hubris inevitably leading to nemesis.

After the event we look bereft, we just don't seem to understand what's happened. Confidence Evaporates & the opposition gleefully jump all over us, literally & figuratively.

We finally wake up when we realise the game's almost done. Sometimes it's too late, sometimes not. Today, fortunately, they roused themselves up in time. Just.

It's been the same for years. No manager seems to be able to rid us of that fatal complacency. I have a horrible feeling Daniel will fare no better.

But, hey, that's Norwich. I'll support them warts & all.

• Like 1

To look at this from a different point of view, this game was Wycombe's cup final, coming up against a team that was in the Premier League last season. So it was obvious they were going to pay out of their skins and try to get a result. Their scoring a first half goal just gave them the impetus to keep going and not collapse, which they might have done had they not scored.  At this level we have to look at how Big 6 teams win against inferior opposition because that's what they face each week. We are missing a ruthless streak and allowing opponents to play a bit.

Referee appalling. Some bright play mixed with some average by our high standards. Never a sending off. Yet again Farke’s substitutions pays off. I’m getting a sense of de ja vu about this season.

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Referee appalling. Some bright play mixed with some average by our high standards. Never a sending off. Yet again Farke’s substitutions pays off. I’m getting a sense of de ja vu about this season.

It's deja vu all over again 

• Haha 1

Now we are a striker down maybe need to rethink Pukki and Hugill together.  Hugill not impressed today.  Beef up the midfield Bring Mario in as AM.  But there maybe fitness questions over Mario who needs only a few minutes.