Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Credit to Rashford, but!

I have nothing but support to ensure all youngsters get equal opportunities, definitely decent food and assistance to be the best they can be. I’m fully for helping where I can.

I do however have major issues with super earners using their popularity to lean on councils to fund it! Knowing how much we are all having to trim our spending during tough times to add to the pressure on council’s is not sitting well with me!

I’d be more impressed with young Rashford if he would use his contact to get his counterparts to cough up more monies, like Captain Tom,  lead by example and start a proper fund for it!

2 trillion in debt and rising, should the rich not be contributing more?

Edited by Indy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I thought Rashford did contribute to charities, and had tried to get other well off people to do the same? I might be wrong?

Its society's (councils) job to look after those in need, but yes, the richest should be doing more, in my opinion 

42 minutes ago, Indy said:

I have nothing but support to ensure all youngsters get equal opportunities, definitely decent food and assistance to be the best they can be. I’m fully for helping where I can.

I do however have major issues with super earners using their popularity to lean on councils to fund it! Knowing how much we are all having to trim our spending during tough times to add to the pressure on council’s is not sitting well with me!

I’d be more impressed with young Rashford if he would use his contact to get his counterparts to cough up more monies, like Captain Tom,  lead by example and start a proper fund for it!

Completely agree. I am no fan of the current Government (who are incompetent) but Governments are NOT charities and can't keep bailing out every cause not matter how deserved it is.  Where are the contributions coming from the so called ridiculous 'celebrity circus' or PL footballers? Yeah you'd be hard pressed to notice any that's for sure.

Maybe I'm wrong but if the Government had done what Rashford wanted would that have been the end of it? Very doubtful. Someone is pulling Rashford's strings and he would have moved on to the next target if this had worked for him.    

Hardly ncfc is it. 

According to the two idiots above, no the govt shouldn't fund school meals during half term in a time of financial crisis. 

Wow. 

And the justification? 

Money. 

But its fine to spend 3 billion pounds on aircraft carriers we haven't got the planes or protection ships for....

Some peoples priorities are sick. 

Edited by Jerrykerry
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

you must have missed his involvement in "Common Goal" amongst other things

I did as I can’t see him listed!

See what you’ve done? You’ve attracted all the non-football board people!

they’ll be crying about what Donald Trump had for Breakfast and banging on about “ThE BrEXiT BuS”

shoo! Shoo!!!

462BCA9E-BD5E-4435-97C8-7AEBDDD2C12B.jpeg

Just now, The Real Buh said:

See what you’ve done? You’ve attracted all the non-football board people!

they’ll be crying about what Donald Trump had for Breakfast and banging on about “ThE BrEXiT BuS”

shoo! Shoo!!!

462BCA9E-BD5E-4435-97C8-7AEBDDD2C12B.jpeg

Yeh maybe should have left it alone! Just get’s my thinking about those who do an those who preach! I maybe doing him an injustice he might be funding lots of these dinners out of his own pocket.

I’ll leave it well alone next time!

1 hour ago, Indy said:

In terms of real wealth the relatively tiny number of Premier League players do not even cause a flicker on the Richter scale.

Yes, in theory the super-rich could in some way make a direct contribution. But I can assure that they would be the major shareholders within the financial pages, not the wealthy young footballers from the sports pages.

Just now, Pugin said:

In terms of real wealth the relatively tiny number of Premier League players do not even cause a flicker on the Richter scale.

Yes, in theory the super-rich could in some way make a direct contribution. But I can assure that they would be the major shareholders within the financial pages, not the wealthy young footballers from the sports pages.

Yes but they’re not applying pressure to local authorities! I’m all for it, his sentiments are great, but again it’s down to the government’s coffers to fund, I bet if the government decides to increase the taxes on the footballers they’ll be the first to find tax loopholes! 

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes but they’re not applying pressure to local authorities! I’m all for it, his sentiments are great, but again it’s down to the government’s coffers to fund, I bet if the government decides to increase the taxes on the footballers they’ll be the first to find tax loopholes! 

some might, I don't think Rashford would

Good, nutritional food is cheaper than junk food...

It's more a case that the average tattoo bearing, 20 fags a day, IPhone owner lacks basic cooking skills, not the monies to afford foodstuffs -- Most people under the age of 40 likely never had cooking lessons at school and they should once again be part of secondary school curriculum.

It's obesity this country has a problem with, ffs.

Edited by Jools
  • Like 1

Rashford is involved because he has very close experience only a few years ago, and because he CARES.

Are we so jaundiced by exposure to greed and selfishness that we cannot get behind true altruism when we see it?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Rashford is involved because he has very close experience only a few years ago, and because he CARES.

Are we so jaundiced by exposure to greed and selfishness that we cannot get behind true altruism when we see it?

We are all involved and we have food banks which I contribute to every shopping trip amongst other things.

My view wasn’t as some above that it shouldn’t be fronted but how it’s fronted! I don’t believe it’s right for celebrities to use their status in this current environment against the local governments, great if he actually pulls businesses and others to help that’s a fantastic push for the good of our underprivileged youngsters. Not only good nutrition but equal opportunity too should be a focus.

Edited by Indy

2 minutes ago, Jools said:

It's more a case that the average tattoo bearing, 20 fags a day, IPhone owner lacks basic cooking skills -- Most people under the age of 40 likely never had cooking lessons at school and they should once again be part of secondary school curriculum.

OK, so here's an idea. Tesco (and by the way how are they allowed to seduce the country with sugar and empty calories?) are in the perfect position to get a bandwagon going to feed the hungry young. Who better?

But they won't. Which tells you everything you need to know about their ethics. Contrast and compare with Rashford's efforts. 

If Rashford and all Premier League players donated 10% of their massive salaries (tax deductible as a charity) they could pay for the whole scheme for years.

Maybe Jug-eared, Lefty-do-gooder, Lineker could donate some of his massive BBC salary...

It certainly shouldn't be funded from general taxation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pugin said:

OK, so here's an idea. Tesco (and by the way how are they allowed to seduce the country with sugar and empty calories?) are in the perfect position to get a bandwagon going to feed the hungry young. Who better?

But they won't. Which tells you everything you need to know about their ethics. Contrast and compare with Rashford's efforts. 

There you go! Brilliant, perfect for Rashford to target, why hasn’t he gone down that route? Pugin that’s the area where I’d be fully behind him.

Edited by Indy

I really don't like politics mixing with sport but Rashford is doing what he thinks is right. The big question for me is this, is the benefits system enough or are the benefits being spent on the wrong things. By the way I don't have the answer. I remember years ago talk of food vouchers as part of the benefits system but this was said to be embarrassing for people to use, now so many people go to a food bank. I can't see why we can't try this. Does this idea need looking at again to make sure everyone is fed. Think about the discount the government would get from the supermarkets. It might even save us money. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Why not?

Well if it should then it has to be paid for, government doesn’t just have an endless pit, 2 trillion in debt and rising, NHS will be stretched, so if we do then I’d like to see a tax hike on the top tax band to help fund these schemes. No issue to provide for all the kids definitely need to but we need a structured way to provide long term.

The problem is if you give £100 to one parent they will spend it wisely and cook good dinners and have plenty of food 

Give another parent £100 and they will buy Rubbish have some take away and be skint in a few days 

Like others have said the older Generation knew how to cook grow veg and Budget 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

I really don't like politics mixing with sport but Rashford is doing what he thinks is right. The big question for me is this, is the benefits system enough or are the benefits being spent on the wrong things. By the way I don't have the answer. I remember years ago talk of food vouchers as part of the benefits system but this was said to be embarrassing for people to use, now so many people go to a food bank. I can't see why we can't try this. Does this idea need looking at again to make sure everyone is fed. Think about the discount the government would get from the supermarkets. It might even save us money. 

Exactly my thoughts vouchers that can buy food only no cigarettes no alcohol   

• Like 2

Tax credits, universal credit, child benefit, free school meals, free prescriptions, housing benefit, council tax credit, food banks........... oh, let's just add another.........

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

The problem is if you give £100 to one parent they will spend it wisely and cook good dinners and have plenty of food 

Give another parent £100 and they will buy Rubbish have some take away and be skint in a few days 

Like others have said the older Generation knew how to cook grow veg and Budget 

Shame those 'wonderful' older generation failed to pass these skills down to the awful takeaway munching potato waffle generation. Shame on them! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

some might, I don't think Rashford would

So you think Rashfords accountant is not going to exploit every tax loop possible to avoid paying tax

You’ve got to be pretty naive If you really believe that

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Jools said:

It's more a case that the average tattoo bearing, 20 fags a day, IPhone owner lacks basic cooking skills, not the monies to afford foodstuffs -- Most people under the age of 40 likely never had cooking lessons at school and they should once again be part of secondary school curriculum.

I thought it'd be more likely that people like me over the age of 40 never had cooking lessons at school.

Well out of the comfort zone stood next to an oven.