Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Interesting comments from Farke in regards to 'criticising' players

From his pre Wycombe interview

' I am not here to win the Mr Nice Guy contest or the noble peace prize. Sometimes it is necessary to criticise your players in public to provoke a reaction.

The best players in the world - even not on the best days - they are solid. They will be outstanding some days with their games but on their bad days they have to be solid and this is what the young players need to learn. This is the mentaility I want to bring into the squad and at the moment I think they are on the right track. '

Now what could he be referring to here I wonder..? 😉

Possibly those who are questioning his man-management skills. Farke's spot on here - you can't expect too much from young players, but at the same time he has a duty as coach to push them hard to get them to maximise their potential. It's a very fine balancing act, and many youngsters don't quite have the mentality to match their talent, which makes it harder.

• Like 1

Managers have to be strong and spell it out sometimes to players, young or older. It is then up to the player to decide how they take on board what is said to them. Some will react well and learn from it, which I hope is the case with our players, others will react badly, having had their egos dented.  The heart of it is the manager's authority and the respect in which he is held - if he has that natural authority and respect, he is more likely to get the reaction he wants.  DF to my mind is person anyone can relate to and trust, but he is not soft - he has that strength too not to stand for any nonsense and we've seen it several times now - you step out of line or lose your way a bit and you will be brought back in to line  - and if you don't  you won't get anywhere near playing in the team!  It's a clear message and in that way is good management as all players know exactly what the score is.

This is exactly the sort of attitude that SAF used to have towards ALL his players, and in particular his younger players, he expected a certain minimum, and clear level of effort and the right attitude or you didn't get played, and if you pushed too far, you'd get sold!

Whilst some might question Farke's choices recently in terms of criticism, I think in almost every case it's been totally justified and maintains a clear line of what is or isn't expected from his players, which is not just important now, but going forwards so that any new players understand what is expected and what their manager demands from them.