Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Rupp makes it into team of the week!

Recommended Posts

‘We’ all doubted him?  Not here. He maybe wasn’t right to go straight into the PL but never looked as bad as some liked to make out.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understood the hate against him was not given the chance last year to get settled 

whilst others get a free ride by some fans 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We didn't all doubt him. 

It was blindingly obvious to anyone with eyes and a brain last season he was quality, but played out of position in a team being over run every week. 

Now, suddenly, the pinkun forum football geniuses start to realise their usual blind hate and attacks on a player are wrong.... Again! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Rupp struggled in the PL but so did most of our team. It was always unfair to single him out. Pukki has badly struggled for some time now but fans stay off his back because of his past exploits. I'm pleased folk are starting to re-assess. Some players need a while to settle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

We didn't all doubt him. 

It was blindingly obvious to anyone with eyes and a brain last season he was quality, but played out of position in a team being over run every week. 

Now, suddenly, the pinkun forum football geniuses start to realise their usual blind hate and attacks on a player are wrong.... Again! 

It was obvious he wasn't a right winger.

It wasn't obvious he was 'quality' though- certainly not at Premier League level. He looked like what he is- a decent Championship central midfielder inexplicably being used as a Premier League attacking midfielder.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does the Team of the Week play 4-5-1?

Frankly this type of reliance on a single format is a jook, where's the plan B? 

Looks far too rigid, sort it out Ivic!

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 It was always unfair to single him out. Pukki has badly struggled for some time now but fans stay off his back because of his past exploits. I'm pleased folk are starting to re-assess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/10/2020 at 12:30, Jerrykerry said:

We didn't all doubt him. 

It was blindingly obvious to anyone with eyes and a brain last season he was quality, but played out of position in a team being over run every week. 

Now, suddenly, the pinkun forum football geniuses start to realise their usual blind hate and attacks on a player are wrong.... Again! 

F@#£ Sake lets calm down. He’s had a couple of ok performances and played well on Tuesday night. Hardly ready for a hall of fame place. Well done to the guy but that all so far. 
 

You do get carried away son. Need to put it away and pull yer pants up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, walidd said:

 It was always unfair to single him out. Pukki has badly struggled for some time now but fans stay off his back because of his past exploits. I'm pleased folk are starting to re-assess.

 

 

 

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf

Watch Pukki off the ball, whoever criticises him should learn about football. He may not have the goals, but his movement is excellent. He was unlucky with a slip the other week, Cantwell should have squared it to him Tues and his one twos were good against Rotherham.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Watch Pukki off the ball, whoever criticises him should learn about football. He may not have the goals, but his movement is excellent. He was unlucky with a slip the other week, Cantwell should have squared it to him Tues and his one twos were good against Rotherham.

I agree with what you say, think about it from the point of view of the midfielders who are sat on the bench or can't get in the squad, yet Pukki might be keeping them out of the team because he can't do his own job?

Do the other players expect him to be scoring and does it affect the dynamic of the team?

I stress that this is devils advocate country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Harry Toffolo in it as well.

Think he can feel very hard done by to have been discarded and replaced by James Husband! 

That one sits with Alex Neil.

He let him stagnate and chose to play Whittaker at left back instead of him. Think the change of scenery was needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, king canary said:

That one sits with Alex Neil.

He let him stagnate and chose to play Whittaker at left back instead of him. Think the change of scenery was needed.

Nothing I've seen of Toffolo makes me think he's any more than a lower half championship player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Number9 said:

I agree with what you say, think about it from the point of view of the midfielders who are sat on the bench or can't get in the squad, yet Pukki might be keeping them out of the team because he can't do his own job?

Do the other players expect him to be scoring and does it affect the dynamic of the team?

I stress that this is devils advocate country.

The same could be said about a few players though. Buendia has scored 1 in 42, Hugill has only netted a penalty, Cantwell never creates goals. 0 goals in central midfield (from starters).  Yet Placheta and Vrancic are both sat on the bench with better conversion rates.
 

Pukki started the  last championship season as number 10 and Rhodes was supposed to lead the line that season, so he can play there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nothing I've seen of Toffolo makes me think he's any more than a lower half championship player.

Well, he's currently starting in a top half Championship team so.... 😉

I do get what you're saying but I think he could have been a useful player here. One of the big things Webber highlighted when he joined was about the lack of joined up thinking and pathway from the youth teams to the first team- I'd say Tofollo is a great example of that. Constantly loaned out while we cycled through a bunch of left backs who mainly didn't prove to be much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nothing I've seen of Toffolo makes me think he's any more than a lower half championship player.

Yeah but nothing we saw of his £1m replacement made any of us think that James Husband should be a professional footballer at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yeah but nothing we saw of his £1m replacement made any of us think that James Husband should be a professional footballer at all. 

I mean yeah, fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume Rupp was was signed with one eye on the Championship because there was no way he was going to help us avoid relegation.

He is doing well now and long may it continue, but it begs the question IF we get promoted, what use will he be?

For me as soon as McLean was dropped we saw the best of Rupp. You cannot play them both together whatever league we are in.

Edited by Capt. Pants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I assume Rupp was was signed with one eye on the Championship because there was no way he was going to help us avoid relegation.

He is doing well now and long may it continue, but it begs the question IF we get promoted, what use will he be?

For me as soon as McLean was dropped we saw the best of Rupp. You cannot play them both together whatever league we are in.

Rupp is basically Tommy Trybull/McLean mark 2 for me. Does all of the general aspects of midfield play to a decent standard at Championship level but doesn't excel in one area. Personally, I'd always prefer to have someone who truly is master of their skill area (a Tettey/Vrancic/Leitner) than a jack of all but I can see why Farke would take the more pragmatic option.

OTBC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...