Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Tories vote against kids getting free school meals

29 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Marcus Rashford's twitter feed is a long list of decent people who have offered to help this cause, they are the one's who should be in Parliament instead of the swamp dwelling lobby fodder who voted for children to go hungry.

https://twitter.com/MarcusRashford

We've done what King Canary did. In our case set up a direct debit for FareShare. That, and contact with our deplorable MP (who voted against the upskirting issue when debated, about the only one to do so if memory serves me right).

Of course, he voted not to extend. I still believe Rashford will influence a change ahead as this issue isn't dead.

Blimey you've got Davies as your MP?! Sorry about that. 

As a party that loves its PR this is a clearly avoidable disaster. 

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Blimey you've got Davies as your MP?! Sorry about that. 

As a party that loves its PR this is a clearly avoidable disaster. 

Facebook is full of reaction towards him! Yet, time and again our constituency votes him in. He is some outlier even in his own party. To be fair to him he was for Cummings being sacked. Yet, I imagine he dislikes him greatly.

I've seen him in action, filibustering, in Parliament and he is a truly awful human let alone MP. At least mine is simply a jellyfish. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

I've seen him in action, filibustering, in Parliament and he is a truly awful human let alone MP. At least mine is simply a jellyfish. 

In the face to face situation he can actually be quite charming. I suppose it's all a public persona though (all politicians). You can listen to the words and feel they are reasonable enough, even though you may not agree. But it's actions that we should judge.

• Like 1

I have the onerous Richard Bacon as my MP. This dispicable gammon treats South Norfolk as nothing more than a sinecure. I know many people who have sent him e-mails and never received a single response, including myself. Perhaps this is no surprise since his putative web-site has displayed the following message for at least 8 months:

"Please note that my full website is currently undergoing reconstruction."

This is just one measure of the contempt he has for his constituents. He simply can't be bothered to spend time organising a simple but massively important means to commmunicate with those he is supposed to represent.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Herman said:

Philip Davies is in this list but I couldn't see Bacon, but did find this.

A brief breakdown here.

IMG_20201024_112150.jpg

• Thanks 1

It's not all a rotten in the world. Local businesses too are supporting schemes. Here is just one from a local business up my way.

IMG_20201024_121047.jpg

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

A brief breakdown here.

IMG_20201024_112150.jpg

"Scum" is nowhere near an accurate enough adjective to describe these parasites. I'm sure we can all imagine a list of adverbs to add in front.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

"Scum" is nowhere near an accurate enough adjective to describe these parasites. I'm sure we can all imagine a list of adverbs to add in front.

This is what I loathe, the highest earners who can afford the slyest accountants to ensure they get the greedy arsed top ups whilst it’s the everyday hard working man to pick up the bill. Those who can help like us normal folk do......sad world when power hungry arseholes decide to claim such money.

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

This is what I loathe, the highest earners who can afford the slyest accountants to ensure they get the greedy arsed top ups whilst it’s the everyday hard working man to pick up the bill. Those who can help like us normal folk do......sad world when power hungry arseholes decide to claim such money.

We shouldn't forget, those claims are not even their working salary!

Edited by sonyc

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yep! And just to rub salt in the wound they parade on tv saying that of course they want all children to be fed properly, they just don't want to give them the money to do it. However, as they typically remind us, they did increase universal credit by £20 a week. Not quite the £25 a day they get to claim for food expenses, nor the massive discounts they get on food and drink in the House of Commons. But to be fair they really need the help. Sh*tbags!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sonyc said:

We shouldn't forget, those claims are not even their working salary!

Wouldn’t it be refreshing if the electorate actually set the pay for positions? 

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yep! I don't think they would have been awarded their recent £3,300 pay increase.

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

I would like to see 'big' conversations about these kinds of issues...along the lines of what the state should pay for (ergo how it should be paid through taxes). If you live, say in Sweden, you get free child care, long paternity leave, after school resources and many other benefits. But you pay very high taxes of course. Yet, the population supports this because it understands the value for every citizen. It's a mature (should I argue maturer) government / voter contract. I was reading about the penal service in Norway too, run along the same lines (you pay for your crime but have a chance of rehabilitation if your behaviours change). In the UK people just want to pay low taxes. So you get what you give. It's all a bit 'lowest common denominator' for me. I accept people won't accept my view.

If we were to have an adult national debate about parental responsibility / free school meals (a) people would be better informed on the problem (b) they would likely 'trade' paying for such things like free school meals for another public service or public good.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Yep! And just to rub salt in the wound they parade on tv saying that of course they want all children to be fed properly, they just don't want to give them the money to do it. However, as they typically remind us, they did increase universal credit by £20 a week. Not quite the £25 a day they get to claim for food expenses, nor the massive discounts they get on food and drink in the House of Commons. But to be fair they really need the help. Sh*tbags!

Trouble is it’s not just politicians, the wealthy like footballers, just one months wages for all players in the premiership is estimated to be about £180 million. Just imagine if they donated just one month what that could do?

Also the tax breaks large companies get too, just by legal loopholes! But none of these are going to be the way it’s financed, it’ll be local government stealth taxes which will be added to you and me to fund it! As I’m already donating to the cause I’m a tad unhappy to think it’ll us again taking up the slack.

This whole debate has reached our local press. It has been doing all the rounds on social media as you might gather. It's the old 'virtue signalling' point often used to try and shame people for having a view that is seen as liberal and goody goody. In this case a school pupil.

Teen accused of 'virtue signalling' by Shipley MP Philip Davies as heated debate breaks out over free school meals motion | Bradford Telegraph and Argus

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/18819784.teen-accused-shipley-mp-philip-davies-heated-debate-breaks-free-school-meals-motion/

And just when you thought they couldn't get much lower:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/tory-mp-says-she-hopes-businesses-who-feed-hungry-kids-won-t-seek-government-support/ar-BB1alS2J?ocid=msedgdhp

"Tory MP Says She Hopes Businesses Who Feed Hungry Kids Won't Seek Government Support"

"A Tory MP has said she “very much” hopes businesses offering to feed hungry children for free “will not be seeking any further government support”, as the row over free school meals continues... Selaine Saxby, who represents North Devon, wrote: “I am delighted our local businesses have bounced back so much after lockdown they are able to give away food for free, and very much hope they will not be seeking any further government support.”"

Universal Credit:

A  couple (less than £16k savings) with 2 kids under 10 will get over £1500 a month to live on.

90% of the rent will be paid.

Council tax support brings it down to £10 per month contribution.

Free dental and optical care.

Free prescriptions.

Free School meals.

Those evil Tories, eh 🤨

2 hours ago, Herman said:

And another one.

Do any of these Tories have a grain of decency in what passes for a soul? And how thick do you have to be, when you have been caught out as blatantly as this, not to apologise and say you got it wrong? "Scum" remains the appropriate appelation.

16 minutes ago, Jools said:

Universal Credit:

A  couple (less than £16k savings) with 2 kids under 10 will get over £1500 a month to live on.

90% of the rent will be paid.

Council tax support brings it down to £10 per month contribution.

Free dental and optical care.

Free prescriptions.

Free School meals.

Those evil Tories, eh 🤨

Wrong as usual. Try looking at the real figures:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/benefit-and-pension-rates-2020-to-2021/benefit-and-pension-rates-2020-to-2021#universal-credit

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Well, I'm not an expert on UC/Benefits, but I have staff members who are in receipt of UC that tops up their wages and it's enough to feed their kids, ffs. 

Why not pay them proper livable wages? Why am I subsidising business owners like you. Pay your way ffs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jools said:

Well, I'm not an expert on UC/Benefits, but I have staff members who are in receipt of UC that tops up their wages and it's enough to feed their kids, ffs. 

What a fine defence of your original (completely wrong) figures. And how great to know that your staff members are paid so little that they have to resort to UC/Benefits to survive. What was that you said about evil Tories? It's businesses like yours that are the real leech on the taxpayer. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

Why not pay them proper livable wages? Why am I subsidising business owners like you. Pay your way ffs.

They're paid the minimum wage which is livable, but many choose to work p/t, hence it's their choice to have their wages topped up via UC.

My tax bill would make your eyes water and I'd hazard a guess what I pay in taxes subsidises your idle lifestyle -- I'm likely paying off Horseflee's university loan too.