Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Tories vote against kids getting free school meals

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I saw someone making the point on twitter about using the money that goes towards subsidized bars and restaurants within the commons. Absolute scandal that those are still a thing.

And don't forget that MPs get to claim a food allowance when they are away from their first home. So mother with kids on universal credit = no food allowance; MP on £80,000 = £25 a night food allowance.  https://fullfact.org/online/mps-free-housing-alcohol/

In the short term, while this ****show plays out, I've donated £50 to FareShare, the charity Rashford is working with. Won't solve the issue but may help some folks in need.

• Like 6

Just now, king canary said:

In the short term, while this ****show plays out, I've donated £50 to FareShare, the charity Rashford is working with. Won't solve the issue but may help some folks in need.

I've emailed both my local MP and the Children's Minister to express my disgust.

The Children's Minister voting for children to go hungry. Disgusting even by Tory gutter-morality standards.

• Like 1

Playing devils advocate, I'd quite like to hear what their alternative plan is to ensure kids don't starve over the covid winter... Is it to arrest the parents and put the kids in social services if they can't afford to feed them? Maybe send out food parcels? Are they just going to ignore it and people will have to "take it on the chin?"

Its the lazy apathy to the situation that bothers me the most. Yes, in an ideal world, it should be a parents responsibility to feed their kids but we don't live in an ideal world. Even Nigel Farage acknowledges there is a problem this morning!

I'm sure the mail will find some story of chavs with iPhones to district from the issue soon though...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Playing devils advocate, I'd quite like to hear what their alternative plan is to ensure kids don't starve over the covid winter... Is it to arrest the parents and put the kids in social services if they can't afford to feed them? Maybe send out food parcels? Are they just going to ignore it and people will have to "take it on the chin?"

Its the lazy apathy to the situation that bothers me the most. Yes, in an ideal world, it should be a parents responsibility to feed their kids but we don't live in an ideal world. Even Nigel Farage acknowledges there is a problem this morning!

I'm sure the mail will find some story of chavs with iPhones to district from the issue soon though...

I have similar questions.

I agree long term solutions are needed but that doesn't mean we can't look at the short term too. 

I don't doubt there are some parents with warped priorities out there but I'd imagine they are very much in the minority and also that doesn't mean their children deserve to suffer.

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Your assertion that "most education" is delivered through rote learning is entirely inaccurate. That's very much part of the policy the Tories are trying to bestow upon us and take us back to, but I've been in schools for 10 years and  the learning is more progressive than that. Rote education is very much a minority methodology, usually employed by older teachers - Katherine Birbalsingh who is headteacher of the Michaela School in London is the Tory poster girl for this - she has achieved incredible results with a very disadvantaged group of students almost entirely through rote learning. Of course, her draconian school rules have her school looking like a prison as the kids are forbidden to talk between lessons, and they spend an entire week with the Year 7s practicing entering classrooms in silence etc, but the results are undeniable. I wouldn't want to work there and I question how much the school offers it's pupils aside from GCSE results, it seems to be an exam factory to me, but if you're asking a binary question about whether rote learning can be effective with disadvantaged kids in terms specifically of educational outcomes, then the answer has to be yes.

Most schools are actively working to embed meta-cognition at the moment which is the "in vogue" methodology based on neuroscience research about effective memory techniques and maximising learning capacity. Part of this involves reducing cognitive load which is a barrier to learning strongly linked to disadvantaged pupils in particular.

Don't get me wrong, I think we need educational reform, this country is nowhere near perfect, or even good enough in terms of it's education system. Rote learning hasn't been the common denominator for at least 15 years though and there aren't many teachers who want to go back to those days (although there is a small minority of teachers who do). The single biggest thing that this country could do to improve education would be to get the kids reading from a young age. This requires parental buy in and support but high literacy levels are the single biggest factor in predicting future educational attainment.

Thanks KIO. I appreciate you taking the time to comment so well. I don't claim to be an expert. My experience has been in establishing first rung learning programmes for extremely disadvantaged adults (some of whom could not read or write or had a very poor previous experience of formal education). And my experience secondly, was a small part of a previous role. Though with adults, I've been heavily involved in psycho-education. 

My post wasn't a critique of all education and I am aware of very intuitive and innovative teaching methods in schools. I recall seeing people deliver learning to young adults who responded best to a kinaesthetic learning style. One fella in Manchester too used bio feedback and live results from emotional states. Fascinating stuff that I don't claim to fully understand.

My main broad point was the delivery aspect (an expert with knowledge). It's a subtle emphasis I realise and difficult to explain in such a reply to a post about education and poverty. I felt the response about a child making poor choices (and parents) deserved a much wider perspective and I found I couldn't just read it and leave it without response! (Often I have to reply). As you're likely an educator (?) I am sure you'll have read Freire then. I do know learning by rote is less used now. Though not absent. I know it works with affluent pupils but that is perhaps to be expected. They are not at 'ground zero' as it were, opportunity wise, arguably they are more likely to have read more and had a chance to gain some level of critical thinking.

I agree wholeheartedly about parental buy-in. A head teacher I met told me that she feels she may have lost some 5 year olds who attend her school unable to read. Their parents have never read a story to them. Where I used to work, children would get their parents up and make breakfast because their parents were stoned. Very shocking. But this is the experience in parts of the UK.

Anyway, I've left here a small book review. Freire continues to fascinate me (he used to use photographs as a way of approaching teaching). My former colleague used to simply be alongside new adult learners and not pretend to be an expert. She gradually gained trust and only then could learning start.

Such a fascinating subject. I guess it's VERY political. I doubt Rock the Bus would like the Marxist element, but I believe to be put off  by that label hides a very interesting educational method and very important concepts.

Book Review: Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire – rochemamabolo

https://rochemamabolo.wordpress.com/2019/12/09/book-review-pedagogy-of-the-oppressed-by-paulo-freire/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, king canary said:

We've used FareShare through community centres for a long while. A quite brilliant organisation. Well done to you too. Sometimes through all this appalling moral leadership we simply have to do our own thing. Your gift will definitely help people. And probably more than ten.

14 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Crime is often influenced /caused by two things ......greed or desperation.  One likely response to hunger and starvation will be theft. That affects everyone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I agree wholeheartedly about parental buy-in. A head teacher I met told me that she feels she may have lost some 5 year olds who attend her school unable to read. Their parents have never read a story to them. Where I used to work, children would get their parents up and make breakfast because their parents were stoned. Very shocking. But this is the experience in parts of the UK.

My Dad was headteacher near Lowestoft and used to despair at some of the parents attitudes towards their kids education. 

The Tories aren't totally wrong- there is still a hugely important role of people taking personal responsibility, either for themselves or their children. But the Government still needs to...

a) help create the kind of society that allows this to flourish

and

b) provide support and assistance for those who inevitably fall through the cracks.

Everyone's favourite NCFC supporting tory has been busy this morning defending the government's stance on feeding kids... I did a dumb thing and tried to discuss this with him 😬

Lack of joined-up thinking. Well-fed kids means better school results, means less juvenile crime, and better outcomes as adults. This is being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

16 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Everyone's favourite NCFC supporting tory has been busy this morning defending the government's stance on feeding kids... I did a dumb thing and tried to discuss this with him 😬

Ask him if he was on the furlough scheme or joined in on the eat out scheme. 

28 minutes ago, Herman said:

Ask him if he was on the furlough scheme or joined in on the eat out scheme. 

he might explode if I do that 😄 can't be exposing those around him to such toxic levels of ****!

53 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Anyone who refers to themselves as a 'feather ruffler', 'contrarian' or any similar term is basically telling you they are a grade A ****.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, king canary said:

Anyone who refers to themselves as a 'feather ruffler', 'contrarian' or any similar term is basically telling you they are a grade A ****.

Another "Morty" feather ruffler! Good grief Noooooooo!

Edited by sonyc

I grew up in a single parent family where my one remaining parent would disappear for days on end, I had 2 little brothers too, free School Dinners and the like literally kept us going at times.   

We are all grown up now with decent jobs and lives and I find it difficult to understand people who dont want to give the same chance to other kids in bad situations. 

• Like 7

Cummings is an advocate of eugenics and as he leads the Tories, they all fall in line. 
He does not care about feeding under privileged children, and by default, nor do Tory MP’s. 

3 minutes ago, Haus said:

I grew up in a single parent family where my one remaining parent would disappear for days on end, I had 2 little brothers too, free School Dinners and the like literally kept us going at times.   

We are all grown up now with decent jobs and lives and I find it difficult to understand people who dont want to give the same chance to other kids in bad situations. 

About 20 + years ago I had a brief role in visiting school canteens (one of those Investors in People schemes all the rage at the time). The cooks and their strong views, delivered in a typically forthright Yorkshire no-no sense way, about how important it was to give a daily square meal to kids, has been one experience to stay with me. A very positive one. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Haus said:

It is like people are totally unaware what a 'vicious circle' is.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Herman said:

Where does this horrific lack of empathy come from? 

I honestly don’t think it can be Johnson as he craves the love of everyone. The problem is that he sold his soul to the devil(Cummings), and there is no way back. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Well, they are Tories. Amusing given a lot of their idols Thatcher was known as the milk snatcher for taking the kids drinks and now the current crop want to take the kids food too.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Eton mainly

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dj11 said:

I honestly don’t think it can be Johnson as he craves the love of everyone. The problem is that he sold his soul to the devil(Cummings), and there is no way back. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well, they are Tories. Amusing given a lot of their idols Thatcher was known as the milk snatcher for taking the kids drinks and now the current crop want to take the kids food too.

It's not just the tories that worry me as we know the current crop are amoral cowards. But when you read Rocky or Morty's twitter feed there are quite a few civvies that think like this you have to wonder how these people got to that point. 

23 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's not just the tories that worry me as we know the current crop are amoral cowards. But when you read Rocky or Morty's twitter feed there are quite a few civvies that think like this you have to wonder how these people got to that point. 

Well paying civvie careers that they walked into straight from school no doubt... alongside their thinly veiled xenophobic attitudes and "empire" mentality, they simply think everyone should just "get a job"... I genuinely don't think they get it and have likely dined out on relative privilege their entire lives so don't get why it could possibly be so hard for people these days.

They have fallen, hook, line and sinker for the classic tabloids "they'd only spend the money on fags and booze" line.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Well paying civvie careers that they walked into straight from school no doubt... alongside their thinly veiled xenophobic attitudes and "empire" mentality, they simply think everyone should just "get a job"... I genuinely don't think they get it and have likely dined out on relative privilege their entire lives so don't get why it could possibly be so hard for people these days.

They have fallen, hook, line and sinker for the classic tabloids "they'd only spend the money on fags and booze" line.

Johnson was asked had he visited Manchester recently to see for himself at the press conference earlier this week. He didn't reply. 

I was thinking it was another city he might tick off as a "definite place to avoid" after Liverpool, given the reaction he may have predicted he would have received from the locals. Rashford's involvement may have united supporters from both clubs too.

Edited by sonyc

8 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

At least on Twitter he has to keep it short😉

.....but a lovely man of course and missed by many😜

Edited by Van wink

I wonder how many of those Tory sh*ts put in their expenses claim for the £25 daily food allowance they are entitled to after voting to deny hungry children free food?

It’s the same arguments that is used against BLM in America “white privilege” in that case, just “privilege” in this. Mind you Farage is enough of a politician to understand that this goes too far, probably because it isn’t just immigrants kids have the food removed from their mouths.