Sign in to follow this  
NFN FC

Foraging

I went for a nice walk in Thetford forest and found quite an abundance of mushrooms. Picked quite a few kilos of Honey Fungus. There was lots of species about and I'm keen to get out again soon to find some more things to eat. 

I am a complete beginner and just at the stage of researching and identifying some more species. 

Anyone else interested in this kind of thing? Know any good spots? Have any tips for everyone? 

I picked a basket full of parasol mushrooms at Sandringham last weekend. And very tasty they were too. I have picked lots of Wood Blewits there over the years but none so far this year. Need a bit of a cold snap to bring them out.

7 minutes ago, SHRIMPER said:

I picked a basket full of parasol mushrooms at Sandringham last weekend. And very tasty they were too. I have picked lots of Wood Blewits there over the years but none so far this year. Need a bit of a cold snap to bring them out.

There were quite a few of those I saw too! Very big ****s aren't they. Bet that didn't take long to fill your basket! 

8 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Be careful with them shrooms lads

When I saw your avatar on next to this topic I was expecting "why aren't we mushrooms!?" 

39 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

There were quite a few of those I saw too! Very big ****s aren't they. Bet that didn't take long to fill your basket! 

I take the ones that are halfway through their life cycles. I always find they taste the best. Fried in Garlic and butter and Olive oil served on toast, nothing better after an early morning walk.

• Like 1

I wish I had the confidence to try it, I’m happy to pick fruit and collected some chestnuts a couple of days ago, but wouldn’t do mushrooms without some more knowledge.

There's some good videos from Wild food UK that I've been watching that really help with identifying mushrooms. It is quite scary at first! 

We have loads of sloe tress at work but something has cleared them up already. Shame as sloe gin is nice. 

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I wish I had the confidence to try it, I’m happy to pick fruit and collected some chestnuts a couple of days ago, but wouldn’t do mushrooms without some more knowledge.

A good wild mushroom to start with is the Shaggy Ink Cap...also known as Lawyers Wigs. Very easy to identify. They are also nice on toast. The Common Ink Cap looks very similar but have a smooth skinned cap to them. They are edible but not if you have taken alcohol. They make you sick if you have had a drop. A small book on Mycology with coloured plates should always go with you on a forage. And do not eat anything you are not 100% with. Shaggies grow where soil has been disturbed along roads. Got a good feed along the old road out of Castle Rising village about 3 weeks ago just before you get to the stretch know as onion corner. So named because the wild garlic that grows there. That is also good for foraging.

I saw some of the shaggies near me a few days ago. I'll give them a shot! Thanks Shrimper you're such a fun-guy! 

• Haha 1

Dont forget to cut the stalks and not pull them up. Please leave the mycelium in the soil to keep growing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

I saw some of the shaggies near me a few days ago. I'll give them a shot! Thanks Shrimper you're such a fun-guy! 

Cant quite remember when I first heard that one NFN but I think it was about 1950 ish 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SHRIMPER said:

Certainly looks like it. They like growing on poplar trees. Sometimes called Pheasant Backs.

Very strange, it's only supposed to be around in spring/summer. You ever had it Shrimper? Apparently it tastes like watermelon! 

You only eat them when very young. I tried one many years ago and did not go back for seconds. The Beefsteak is supposed to be the best of the brackets as as the name suggests they taste like steak. Never tried one myself though.

This is a great little book that I keep in the car. I have several books but this one is just right for fitting in a pocket. The inside and outside of the cover. It is very helpful when out for a walk. For a beginner its good to go on a fungi hunt with an expert. I am a member of the National Trust and they do them on their estates. The nearest to me if Oxburgh Hall. Do not know if they are doing them in these strange times but they always did them about this time of year.

Scan.jpg

Scaaaan.jpg

Edited by SHRIMPER

Shaggy ink caps and parasols are best eaten immediately as you come home, they turn to mush within a day. This is a very good year for funghi of all sorts, happy foraging I say.

Looking up at trees, you can find medicinal Rishi mushrooms ( not so common) and beefsteak fungus, but the latter taste is something to behold, not my favourite.

On 23/10/2020 at 09:47, SHRIMPER said:

This is a great little book that I keep in the car. I have several books but this one is just right for fitting in a pocket. The inside and outside of the cover. It is very helpful when out for a walk. For a beginner its good to go on a fungi hunt with an expert. I am a member of the National Trust and they do them on their estates. The nearest to me if Oxburgh Hall. Do not know if they are doing them in these strange times but they always did them about this time of year.

Scan.jpg

Scaaaan.jpg

That book is required reference for picking edible fungi. If all points are checked , you cant really go wrong,but only if ALL required ref points are satisfied.

Scary story..... my uncle, who grew up in Rural Hungary and lived in Uk since 1948 had been foraging mishrooms all his life. When he was in his early sixties, he was negligent in his checks as he'd found 'safe' mushrooms at this particular spot....needless to say he was very ill indeed. 

Moral of the story .... no matter how experienced you are , always , always , be 100% sure that what you intend to eat, is what you think it is.

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Scary story..... my uncle, who grew up in Rural Hungary and lived in Uk since 1948 had been foraging mishrooms all his life. When he was in his early sixties, he was negligent in his checks as he'd found 'safe' mushrooms at this particular spot....needless to say he was very ill indeed. 

Moral of the story .... no matter how experienced you are , always , always , be 100% sure that what you intend to eat, is what you think it is.

Never a truer word was spoken. I hope to go out tomorrow if it is not to wet and see whats about.

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Liberty Caps popular at Blickling this afternoon, many multicoloured bobble hats spotted.

Those bobble hats werent multicoloured Winko. Had you been partaking?

30 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Those bobble hats werent multicoloured Winko. Had you been partaking?

I don’t think they had any bobbles to be honest

• Haha 1