SwindonCanary

Birmingham not happy with Cantwell

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

While there's no way it was a penalty, there was definite contact. Todd made a meal of it and then sprang up a fraction too late. 

I laughed, would have been better had it gone in, can you imagine the uproar then! He was certainly as unstable as Grealish, not his fault it’s the hair in a bun makes you very unbalanced at times.

I don't think anyone does pratfalls quite like Grealish, but clearly Cantwell is learning to fall down at the slightest touch. I'm not sure I like it, but that's his game.

Whether it's Cantwell, Grealish (autocorrect changed that to Freakish!), Maddison or Buendia, skilful but lightweight players will inevitably spend a lot of time on the deck as they play at speed so don't take a lot to knock over. Added to which they are targeted by the opposition as they are dangerous. He didn't get the Sky man of the match award for nothing.

Birmingham fans are just jealous they are a team of dull cloggers.

• Like 1

Maybe if they didn't try kicking lumps out of skillful players they wouldn't go down as often.

• Like 4

I assume they were also incensed by Friend's tackle on Cantwell shortly after the red card?

• Like 1

Did Cantwell do anything wrong yesterday? Remember him on the floor before that shot that skewed just wide in the first half, and then again on around the halfway line very briefly before possession came his way and he shot up again. But it was hardly bad. Stinks of sour grapes to me..

They were trying to foul us out of the game in that second half.

Upsetting Birmingham fans is like upsetting fans of Bingo by calling the numbers incorrectly.

Todd will 'upset' far bigger, better and more relevant in the years to come!

They'd love him in their side. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Birmingham fans are mostly scum though.

Take a look at any of their forums, one of them has a thread on Cantwell and about 70% of the posters were wishing one of their players broke his leg, or that he gets 'stamped on by Mings' in the future to 'teach him a lesson'.

I often like to take a look into our opponent's forums after a game to get a view from the 'other side.'

I did this with a Brum forum after last night's encounter.

They (the Brum faithfull) were as obsessed with Cantwell as many on this forum seem to be. Almost every posting referred to him, some with praise, most with derision.

The comments were also rife with comparisons with Grealish, their absolute hate figure.

Two seasons ago Norwich City was all about Teemu Pukki, now it seems that young Cantwell has assumed that mantle among opposing fans.

The talent, the fame, the wealth, the hair, the obvious flamboyance all provoke envy among those who's lives are lit up by the highlight of a football match on a Tuesday night.

I sense a degree of purposefulness on the part of both Cantwell and Grealish, and many others before them. It's showing off to a degree, but may be these successful youngsters have a right to act the way they do. Clearly both are extroverts who want to be noticed and to stand out, knowing full well this rankles among opponent fans, and even elements of their own support. 

I do not think that Todd Cantwell was particularly guilty of unreasonable play acting during last night's game, I 've seen worse on a weekly basis in PL highlights. His style and looks make him conspicuous, especially when he plays as well as he did, and he sure got a battering.   

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 3

Cantwell made the challenge which disoriented Stearman at Huddersfield leading to the winning goal. Vs Brum he was fouled for the sending off which seemed to break their concentration. He's an absolute pain in the a*se for the opposition and I'm very happy we still have him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Birmingham fans are mostly scum though.

Take a look at any of their forums, one of them has a thread on Cantwell and about 70% of the posters were wishing one of their players broke his leg, or that he gets 'stamped on by Mings' in the future to 'teach him a lesson'.

You have to correct that first line Hoggy.

Farke thought we should have had a penalty, the B'ham player(Clayton?) appears to back into Cantwell with no intention of winning the ball. 

Many people nowadays think that feigning injury is worse than the violence that precedes it. 

Blame refereeing standards for some of the issue.

Player does his best to stay on his feet in the area despite being fouled - nothing given

Player goes to ground easily instead of staying on his feet - instant penalty

What incentive is there for honest, hard work and sportsmanship when it gets you nothing in return from the ref each time?

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Blame refereeing standards for some of the issue.

Player does his best to stay on his feet in the area despite being fouled - nothing given

Player goes to ground easily instead of staying on his feet - instant penalty

What incentive is there for honest, hard work and sportsmanship when it gets you nothing in return from the ref each time?

This is the crux of the issue.  

Is Todd the first player we’ve had since big Grant Holt that the opposition loves to hate? Every team should have one in my opinion. 

The reality is of course nothing to do with what Todd did last night. The simple fact is that there is not a club in the division that wouldn’t want someone of Todd’s ability in their team. It’s just jealousy, plain and simple. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I don't think anyone does pratfalls quite like Grealish, but clearly Cantwell is learning to fall down at the slightest touch. I'm not sure I like it, but that's his game.

True but he's got to work on his calves!

Always a good sign when other fans pick on one of our own. When I first started going to Cara I hated it when our fans abused key oppo players, noticing how the away fans just got behind their team. It basically meant we feared them, and they weren’t bothered about us. Rule number 78 from my Supporters Handbook - ensure you support your own team rather than deriding the opposition’s (during the game). 

• Like 2

Got to say, I don't like it when players go down easily. And it's not all to do with refereeing standards, the problem really lies with the laws.

I've said for years, and as a former referee to boot, that the best thing we could ever do is scrap the penalty kick. You are giving a team a free shot on goal with no-one nearby that is scored three-quarters of the time if not more. This can basically be given for falling over in the penalty box or, with the handball laws nowadays, shonky ricochets or people just getting hit in the arm with the ball with little chance of avoiding it. Spotting simulation is often incredibly difficult. In other words, this situation is already heavily weighted in favour of the attacking player and IMO ludicrously so.

Scrap penalties, put another corner quadrant on the corner of the penalty box where it meets the goal line, and allow for penalty corners instead. On top of that, replace the six-yard box with two arcs meeting, drawn ten yards from each goalpost.

For as long as the rewards grossly outweigh the risks, you'll get this type of behaviour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You have to correct that first line Hoggy.

Did you want me to get rid of the 'mostly' ? 😄

The reaction reminds me of when Hux was at his best.  Well played Todd.

Some fans are so easy to wind up though. It’s like it’s WWE or something and the bad guy has done something bad and the crowd goes for him.

like Grealish and his hair and his shin pads and stuff. Just don’t get wound up by it. There’s plenty to shake your fist at in football but that ain’t it.

Happy to go along with the sentiment if this thread as long as we all accept that when the boot is on the other foot and an opposition player tries to get a penalty we just accept it.

I suspect there will be much whining.

7 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Did Cantwell do anything wrong yesterday?

Lying on the ground so long actually stopped him from scoring at the penalty request - even Farke mentioned he could have got up quicker today which would have meant he was better able to shoot, in his interview with Paddy Davitt.  Honesty is the best policy, he wasn't injured, just get up and get on with it. He should probably also have passed to Hugill or Teemu for a tap in instead of shooting himself later on.  He gave away posession several times. 

Now before I am accused of running him down, he also was excellent most of the time, unlucky to be just offside for his well taken finish (although the churlish might say he should have made sure he was onside). His running on and off the ball caused the opposition no end of problems and they resorted to kicking him by half way through the second half.

Overall then, a good performance but there is still room for improvement.

• Haha 1