Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

23 shots only 1 goal

Birmingham were hardly in this game which is great but we struggle to break teams down. Defensively better with Gibson and Skipp but we don't have Pukki anymore I think we've seen the best of him do we have true goal threat anymore?

• Haha 2

18th in the league for shot conversion shows that our forwards need to find their shooting boots

Edited by Kenny Foggo
  • Like 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Much as I'm not happy about it either credit has to be given to the brumies-

They set up for this. They played five at the back to try and scrape a draw and it almost worked for them

Indeed. The people who are saying that Birmingham were **** tonight probably don't realise that this was their gameplan. They came to do what Derby did and until the red card, they were doing a good job of it. The plan was to sit deep and frustrate us, and they certainly did that while it was 11 v 11.

• Like 2

Your headline says more than your content.

If anyone were to criticise Farke for that performance tonight then I’d say they were out of their minds. He can’t put the ball in the back of the net himself, he can only do everything he can to load the bullets. And that he did from the very 1st minute right to the 90th.

We have the right man in charge.

He deserves a bit of luck and fortune for bringing some of the best football played to Carrow Rd that I’ve seen in 40 or so years.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

A winning goal though. Surely you must be happy with that??

Yes it's a great result and I'm very happy but I honestly think Pukki has gone and Huggil is  wasteful. 

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Indeed. The people who are saying that Birmingham were **** tonight probably don't realise that this was their gameplan. They came to do what Derby did and until the red card, they were doing a good job of it. The plan was to sit deep and frustrate us, and they certainly did that while it was 11 v 11.

Yes, they did a good job of being sh*t. 😉.

On a serious note, I do not believe for a second that anyone didn't realise what their gameplan was. It was blatantly obvious from 5 minutes in.

• Like 1

Yup, spot on Wacky - some don’t seem to see what’s going on.  Until we hit our stride and get early goals we will see a lot of ‘stodgy’ games with sides playing the same - Derby got v v lucky, Brum didn’t.  Our tactics were ok, It’s hard when you’re playing a side with everyone behind the ball (think when we played Karanka’s boro side at CR); Placheta could have come on  earlier to give something different.

Has to be said though, having only 4 shots on target out of 23 is pretty awful.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Completely dominant performance and our best performance of the season. On another night we score 4. A record 767 passes, the most we've recorded. For sure, we need to convert more but it will come. Because....all the other ingredients are about there.

Edited by sonyc

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Much as I'm not happy about it either credit has to be given to the brumies-

They set up for this. They played five at the back to try and scrape a draw and it almost worked for them

Spot on.

They knew exactly what they were doing. Targeted our usual game changes and block out Pukki. However, there was a drive from midfield this evening that wouldn't stop.

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

No, they were 100% anti-football, and could have been 3/4 nil down had we taken some of our multitude of chances. Given we are probably in the bottom 4 for shot conversion now, it was more than luck by judgement Brum's tactics weren't punished for the travesty they were.

Hang on though, praising the abysmal opposition and enjoying defensive unambitious football... you are Chris Hughton and I claim my £5.

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

18th in the league for shoot conversion shows that our forwards need to find their shooting boots

Yes totally agree, I'm more than happy with how we are playing now it's starting to gel together. more shots on target would make me delirious

Just now, Ian said:

No, they were 100% anti-football, and could have been 3/4 nil down had we taken some of our multitude of chances. Given we are probably in the bottom 4 for shot conversion now, it was more than luck by judgement Brum's tactics weren't punished for the travesty they were.

Hang on though, praising the abysmal opposition and enjoying defensive unambitious football... you are Chris Hughton and I claim my £5.

This isn't a computer game where you can just attack at will for the fun of it. Teams like Birmingham have to cut their cloth accordingly and that usually means when they play away to bigger teams they have to keep it tight and use spoiling tactics as a lower scoring game increases their chances of getting points. Obviously it's depressing to watch, which is why the tactic is used almost exclusively away from home (not that it matter behind closed doors). It may look like 'anti-football' to us, but what do you expect them to do? Come out all guns blazing so we thrash them?

A Karanka side is only ever going to play one way and to be fair they actually defended well, probably better than us.  As we didn't score early it was always going to be a slog.

I thought we kept our patience and focus well and said we might have to wait for a late winner. We have played two different styles of opponent; Rotherham who were prepared to get forward and give it go and Birmingham who were always going to park the bus and beat them both.

It is vital we won those two games as confidence will be sky high.

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This isn't a computer game where you can just attack at will for the fun of it. Teams like Birmingham have to cut their cloth accordingly and that usually means when they play away to bigger teams they have to keep it tight and use spoiling tactics as a lower scoring game increases their chances of getting points. Obviously it's depressing to watch, which is why the tactic is used almost exclusively away from home (not that it matter behind closed doors). It may look like 'anti-football' to us, but what do you expect them to do? Come out all guns blazing so we thrash them?

I don't expect them to do anything, but equally I don't want to give credit to football teams who play in the way they did tonight. Could you imagine being a Brum supporter tonight, given what their neighbours are up to also?

I don't agree with your comments about how teams have to play either. Look at Rotherham under Warne. Both "less talented" teams lost against us by one goal, but only one of those teams looked like beating us and can claim they were unlucky to lose.

Going to be a long old season for Norwich, but with Emi and Cantwell in the team I do think we have the ability to break this nonsense down.

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

I don't expect them to do anything, but equally I don't want to give credit to football teams who play in the way they did tonight. Could you imagine being a Brum supporter tonight, given what their neighbours are up to also?

I don't agree with your comments about how teams have to play either. Look at Rotherham under Warne. Both "less talented" teams lost against us by one goal, but only one of those teams looked like beating us and can claim they were unlucky to lose.

Going to be a long old season for Norwich, but with Emi and Cantwell in the team I do think we have the ability to break this nonsense down.

Some of the greatest underdog victories in football have been as a result of those tactics. It's not fun to watch every week, but when needs must it's a valid approach. After all, wouldn't football be a bit boring if every team played in the same style?

And after Derby's success and Birmingham being very close, I think you're going to see most teams try this at Carrow Road, including Rotherham.

I knew it. 

Great win against yet another team sitting deep and wanting a point. 

Tons of possession, quality play. 

And... The pink in forum is still full of Moaning. 

Pathetic. 

41 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Birmingham were hardly in this game which is great but we struggle to break teams down. Defensively better with Gibson and Skipp but we don't have Pukki anymore I think we've seen the best of him do we have true goal threat anymore?

Nothing wrong with only scoring one goal, the problem arises when you concede four.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Some of the greatest underdog victories in football have been as a result of those tactics. It's not fun to watch every week, but when needs must it's a valid approach. After all, wouldn't football be a bit boring if every team played in the same style?

And after Derby's success and Birmingham being very close, I think you're going to see most teams try this at Carrow Road, including Rotherham.

I don't know what point you are trying to make. I understand that if the underdog parks the bus and you roll the dice enough times eventually you might fluke a win on the odd occasion, particularly if it is away and there are no supporters present.

I don't doubt many teams will try similar tactics this season. That said, it isn't intelligent football, it isn't progressive from a club perspective, and I don't think that approach in a league game is worthy of too much respect. If a minnow like Ipswich were somehow promoted and played that dross you could understand it, but Brum have some decent players at this level.

I think Farke has his issues, but his approach is absolutely streets above Karanka and I do take exception when I see comments criticising our performance and tactics using Birmingham tonight as an example of what we should be doing.

12 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

I knew it. 

Great win against yet another team sitting deep and wanting a point. 

Tons of possession, quality play. 

And... The pink in forum is still full of Moaning. 

Pathetic. 

ooh check grumpy out, you're moaning about non existent moaning 

1 minute ago, Mullet said:

ooh check grumpy out, you're moaning about non existent moaning 

To be fair, the only way Birmingham could have been more defensive would have been if they had 5 men on the goal line with another 5 on their shoulders. Yet, we could and should have scored at least 3 goals against them.

I guess we should be flattered that decent teams will adopt such tactics against us, but my God it will be a long season if so...

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

I don't know what point you are trying to make. I understand that if the underdog parks the bus and you roll the dice enough times eventually you might fluke a win on the odd occasion, particularly if it is away and there are no supporters present.

I don't doubt many teams will try similar tactics this season. That said, it isn't intelligent football, it isn't progressive from a club perspective, and I don't think that approach in a league game is worthy of too much respect. If a minnow like Ipswich were somehow promoted and played that dross you could understand it, but Brum have some decent players at this level.

I think Farke has his issues, but his approach is absolutely streets above Karanka and I do take exception when I see comments criticising our performance and tactics using Birmingham tonight as an example of what we should be doing.

I think the point I'm trying to make is rather clear: when a team plays away to a stronger side, they will generally tend to play more defensively and we shouldn't be surprised by this.

It may not be progressive and it may not be fun to watch, but I disagree about it not being intelligent, as many teams have pulled off shock results or ground out hard-fought draws using this approach.

As for the last paragraph, I don't think anyone has said that we should be doing that. We're one of the strongest sides in the league on paper, so it's in our interests to make games as open as possible. Also, it would be bloody boring to watch every week.

17 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think the point I'm trying to make is rather clear: when a team plays away to a stronger side, they will generally tend to play more defensively and we shouldn't be surprised by this.

It may not be progressive and it may not be fun to watch, but I disagree about it not being intelligent, as many teams have pulled off shock results or ground out hard-fought draws using this approach.

As for the last paragraph, I don't think anyone has said that we should be doing that. We're one of the strongest sides in the league on paper, so it's in our interests to make games as open as possible. Also, it would be bloody boring to watch every week.

Sorry, my point was related to the fact that you suggested Brum, despite being the most dour and abject lovechild of a Hughton and Mourinho team, would never give away a late chance as our team did tonight. Furthermore, if was implied that this was something we should aspire to, despite us generating enough chances to be 4-0 up without the casual observer thinking it was anything other than fully deserved.

Of course **** house managers are going to apply **** house tactics, we have to accept most games will be frustrating and attritional, and I am sure we will need a more mature approach to game management, but please lets not use Karanka's tactics as something to beat our club and manager with.

Edited by Ian

28 minutes ago, Ian said:

but please lets not use Karanka's tactics as something to beat our club and manager with.

I don't think that was anyone's intention.

Farke needs to get us challenging for promotion and he's playing the right style to maximise the tools at his disposal, both in terms of the current playing squad and the bigger picture of 'the project', whereas Karanka is setting up his team to play within its limitations, both from a personnel and financial point of view. I'm not saying Birmingham are a poor side, but let's be honest, they won't be threatening the top two this season and I'd be very surprised if they reach the Playoffs either.

Imagine watching that Brum side for 90 minutes every week. Might have actually been more defensive than Hughton was in the prem with us.

This is a post from the Brum forums, a rare one i could find without expletives..

This is going to be a hell of a long season. We have no movement in midfield whatsoever. We stand in a line and defend, defend, defend. I’m afraid we’re in for another relegation battle on our last 4 performances.
I really don’t expect to attack Norwich but this was San Marino levels of mass defence and literally no attacking. Some might say our defence has improved but if you stick 9 men behind the ball, of course we’ll be difficult to break down. Depressed and disappointed, not with losing but the way we have played