On 21/10/2020 at 11:09, king canary said:

But without him on the pitch we created enough to score 2 or 3 easily. It isn't Skipp or Rupp's fault Todd didn't have his shooting boots on.

I agree he should be coming on earlier but I think him starting over one of the central two could create more problems than it solves.

Agreed, we did create plenty of chances so it's not like Skipp/Rupp are prohibiting us in that regard.  That match should have been done and dusted before Vrancic got on the pitch.  Hopefully with confidence increasing those chances will be taken more often in the future.

12 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Wessi had a very good turn of pace though and could turn / manoeuvre very well, but not a heck of a lot of top speed. Acceleration is always a handy tool in the locker, and if you've not much top speed, the ability to get out of the blocks fast is needed.

Acceleration + speed of thought / ability to see the play = excellent number 10. Wessi had both. Vrancic has the latter.

Wes v Mario. Mario is far better at dead balls which has to feature in any comparison.

Ever since Bournemouth A in the cup a few years back, I saw Mario as a #10. Every telling contribution he has ever made for us has materialised in those 10 yards just outside the opposition box.

If we have Hugill starting and Pukki remains out of form, Id be interested to see how they work as a pair; though the fact we brought Duda in on loan last season rather than play Vrancic (our only centre mid OR #10 to score from open play all season IIRC) tells you what you need to know on the chances of that happening. 

On 21/10/2020 at 23:33, king canary said:

Sky made the point yesterday that we were having Buendia and Cantwell play narrow and interchange yesterday and the space out wide was left for the fullbacks, so Skipp and Rupp didn't have lots of space to operate in further forward. Adding Vrancic to that mix both adds extra congestion to the middle of the park and leaves us more vulnerable to counter attacks. 

I would have bought him on a bit earlier last night (when it became clear Birmingham had fully given up on actually attacking) but from the start I don't think he helps that much.

We don't have a problem with width on the right as Aarons is continuing his good work. But we do have a problem on the left as the new left back/wingback Quintella has the pace of a snail and is not giving us the width where Lewis use to give us. Pinging in balls and crosses is fine but the lack of a running game allows the opposition to concentrate on crosses only from the left.

It's ludicrous to suggest we would have won against Birmingham even if Vrancic hadn't been on the pitch ??!! Yes we had 23 shots at goal and dominated the game. And it wasn't Rupp and Skipp's fault that chances were missed - but the reality is the chances were missed and the game would have finish 0-0 if Vrancic hadn't come on and scored. It's harder to score than you think - as usual we had chances but they had a good goalkeeper - can I say that ? cos all teams at this level have a good keeper. Outside a penalty it would take a very good shot to beat these goalkeepers. Hugill had some very good chances against Birmingham which as a striker should be taking, Cantwell had few as well but had defenders diving in front of him. Hanleys header should have been in. It takes something special to beat a keeper with that type of defensive screen. The evidence is there - not everyone can do it !

We need multi-talented players that can take the pressure off our main attackers and provide additional attacking options. Vrancic gives us that intricate passing game which is beyond the level of Skipp and McLean, he gives us the goals as well. I think it's hardly any point having 80% of the ball when you can't score - the Derby game is a prime example - dominating then Rooney steps up with that extra quality - we have that quality through Vrancic.

I'd be ok if we needed to  bring in the "muscle" to defend in some games but for me the central midfield positions should be the Super Mario Bros (Vrancic & his look-a-like Rupp).

7 hours ago, essex canary said:

Wes v Mario. Mario is far better at dead balls which has to feature in any comparison.

Fair point, it just doesn't really have to be the role of a number 10.

On 21/10/2020 at 11:33, king canary said:

Sky made the point yesterday that we were having Buendia and Cantwell play narrow and interchange yesterday and the space out wide was left for the fullbacks, so Skipp and Rupp didn't have lots of space to operate in further forward. Adding Vrancic to that mix both adds extra congestion to the middle of the park and leaves us more vulnerable to counter attacks. 

I would have bought him on a bit earlier last night (when it became clear Birmingham had fully given up on actually attacking) but from the start I don't think he helps that much.

Sky basically saying what we know, that Farke has everything go through the central areas. If wingers go forward, usually they turn inside or play the ball inside long, long before they reach the box.

So the the central area we have most of our players and most of the opposition players, no wonder we can't find a way through. 

The more passes we play, the more time it gives the opposition to get back and defend. 

It's not rocket science.

49 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Sky basically saying what we know, that Farke has everything go through the central areas. If wingers go forward, usually they turn inside or play the ball inside long, long before they reach the box.

So the the central area we have most of our players and most of the opposition players, no wonder we can't find a way through. 

The more passes we play, the more time it gives the opposition to get back and defend. 

It's not rocket science.

Although we found a way through several times to the point Hugill could have had a goal and Cantwell could have had 2 or 3, and Pukki could have had one.

And it's that same style that made us the leagues top scorers by a country mile 2 seasons ago.

It's not rocket science.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Although we found a way through several times to the point Hugill could have had a goal and Cantwell could have had 2 or 3, and Pukki could have had one.

And it's that same style that made us the leagues top scorers by a country mile 2 seasons ago.

It's not rocket science.

Most of our shots were blocked by defenders Hoggy, it was pretty congested. 

And as you imply, we haven't moved on from two seasons ago. 😁

On 21/10/2020 at 10:42, Crabbycanary3 said:

Have seen this elsewhere;

Mario is the first player to score in all 4 seasons under Farke

Norwich have never lost (W11 D2) in the games that he has scored

His 4 goals from off the bench have been 3 winners and 1 (last minute) equaliser 

Sounds like he needs to be in the match day squad and on the bench

Revised to 

W12 D2

and

4 winners and 1 (last) minute equaliser

6 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Revised to 

W12 D2

and

4 winners and 1 (last) minute equaliser

The best spatial awareness player to play for the Club leaving aside Martin Peters. Goal ratio per minute in promotion season only 10 per cent less than Pukki.

Start him. Not sure,  leave it to Farkes judgement. 20 minutes at least per game an absolute must. Where was he last season? 

Super Mario!

I watched Vrancic closely today and he'd look around just before moving into space to receive the ball, every single time. He knew where the opposition was, he knew where his teammates were. 

He doesn't just make himself available for a pass, he already knows exactly where he's going when he gets the ball. 

He's a special player, its his footballing brain.

He plays like he's playing chess, he already knows his move before he gets the ball, constantly one step ahead of anybody else on the pitch. 

Problem with starting him though is that we may find ourselves with a lack of game changers on the bench, and Farke seems to rely on those. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I watched Vrancic closely today and he'd look around just before moving into space to receive the ball, every single time. He knew where the opposition was, he knew where his teammates were. 

He doesn't just make himself available for a pass, he already knows exactly where he's going when he gets the ball. 

He's a special player, its his footballing brain.

He plays like he's playing chess, he already knows his move before he gets the ball, constantly one step ahead of anybody else on the pitch. 

Problem with starting him though is that we may find ourselves with a lack of game changers on the bench, and Farke seems to rely on those. 

That is a quality that not all players possess