Sign in to follow this  
The Real Buh

European Super Premier League sponsored by amazon or something

20 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Money, tradition........there would be more TV money, gate money, develop the fanbase with more chance to see live games, develop players, can pretend they haven't walked away from their roots, insurance in case it all goes **** up.

I think you can discount anything that doesn't include the word 'money.'

I'm honestly not sure it would be financially worth it for them either- the amount of extra wages they'd need to pay to have a squad big enough to handle a 70 game season would be sizable.

If this is an actual league with home and away ties I'd bet a decent sum it also involves withdrawing from the Premier League.

22 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

This must not be allowed to happen. It will destroy the premier league and just ring fence the wealth in the hands of these 5 or 6 clubs who no doubt will expect the fixture lists and cup schedules to be organised around their new international tournament.

The pure greed and disregard for sporting competition and integrity is absolutely repulsive. I don;t often wish ill health or ill fortune on people but I would make an exception for the owners and boards of Liverpool and Manchester United given their current behaviour. 

Whilst I don't agree with the obvious statements in your post, it is ironic how two American owners are having such a prominent influence over a British league in these 'independent, sovereign nation'  Brexit times.

The FA/PL/UEFA/FIFA need to show strong leadership here and put these self-serving owners in their places.

The only future for clubs of Norwich stature and below is to offer an alternative. We can’t compete, we’ll never be able to compete. It’s all about money. We are an inconvenience to them. We can create a solid alternative, a clean slate. This excites me. I hope they go and it implodes.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think you can discount anything that doesn't include the word 'money.'

I'm honestly not sure it would be financially worth it for them either- the amount of extra wages they'd need to pay to have a squad big enough to handle a 70 game season would be sizable.

If this is an actual league with home and away ties I'd bet a decent sum it also involves withdrawing from the Premier League.

On money you maybe right, but on players they already have enough & at a high enough standard to compete. Chelsea have 18 out on loan for example. Sure they would lose the loan fees but could show the match on TV and probably get enough paying spectators into Stamford Bridge to wash their face.

I’m really sorry about the reduction in player salaries that this would imply, (not) but let em go - actually expel them is a better idea - and let football go back to its natural economic base. 

Without having read the article or any of the details, it sounds great. Let them píss off to their Euro Super League. Sounds great!

Sidenote: would the limit of our ambition then become a "Top 20" club?!😉

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

Yes, start in the second week of August, play the EuroLeague midweek, Prem weekends, 4 international breaks and you are done by end of May just like now.

Probably running B teams in the Prem to reduce players workload

Still unclear but if these five or six clubs did that there is a danger they would get relegated from the EPL. And it would have to be the club, because otherwise the numbers for promotion and relegation wouldn't work. In reality a club in that danger would presumably throw in enough first-teamers towards the end of the season to make sure they stayed up.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1

What will be interesting is whether ours or other governments get involved. This and that other farce they came up with is effectively the Americans trying to take over football because their sports don’t have worldwide appeal (because they are rubbish btw) 

it’ll be interesting to see. Lots of political capital up for grabs there.

1) The money men want it to happen. If they believe it will make them money then it will happen.

2) Unless whatever regulatory body or goverment just plain stops it.

3) No way in hell they will go ahead of it unless they have a fallback position. Simply put keep their interest in Domestic football to prevent breakaways and competition because

4) It just takes a Richard Branson etc type to create said competition and make it viable. I mean is there a law dictating I cannot set up a football league. Sell cheap rights to Britbox for example. Give fair competitive rules with equal money distribution. Seperate international tournaments etc

Edited by KiwiScot

Unfortunately it’s very likely it will happen, it’s been on the cards for years. Unfortunately along with Covid it will destroy football as you and I know it, and many clubs will go out of business through lack of income, and amongst that I include our beloved NCFC. The greedy few are looking after number 1! And as a self funding club, there will be no place for clubs following such a mandate!

I think the end game will be the big 6 having a B team in the National League. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in other European countries. I doubt it will go down well in Germany 

It could well happen but the novelty would wear off after a few seasons. Let them leave under the condition they all have to start back in the national league on a return. 

This has been talked about again and again and if it was viable it would have happened by now. Big clubs wheel this out every so often to threaten the other clubs to step in line. It’s a classic ‘if you don’t agree with me I’ll take my ball home’. 

I fear for what would happen should they leave. I think the power vacuum would actually mean a worse outcome for the Premier League. At the moment there is a 6/14 spilt of big clubs versus everyone else. The squabbling between the remaining 14 should their common foe leave could be pretty disastrous. You’d more likely see a loss of even distribution as 10 teams think they can come out on top and become the new dominate force. 

While things might be more competitive for a few years, a couple of teams will just rise to the top and become dominate. 

So............6 games gone and only 1 of those top six 'super' teams is currently in the top 8 of the Premier league.

You can see why they are desperate to drop the teams that can beat them these days.

Edited by duke63
  • Like 1

On 26/10/2020 at 08:27, duke63 said:

So............6 games gone and only 1 of those top six 'super' teams is currently in the top 8 of the Premier league.

You can see why they are desperate to drop the teams that can beat them these days.

So, it looks like egg on face time for all those slagging off the big six on this one.

Seems like the idea was initiated by the Chairman of the FA!

On 20/10/2020 at 14:38, king canary said:

I've said this for a while too.

It would involve fans accepting a trade off in quality for increased competitiveness though- honestly no idea how that would go.

That’s called the Championship isn’t it?