Sign in to follow this  
The Real Buh

European Super Premier League sponsored by amazon or something

TV rights for remaining Premier league and lower league teams will plummet drastically. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

I've been saying for years that this would be the death of English football, but I'm starting to think that we should let them clear off and almost restart with a fairer distribution of finances and proper competition. It can't be much fun for the Premier League mid-table, knowing that there's a glass ceiling they can never really reach.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've been saying for years that this would be the death of English football, but I'm starting to think that we should let them clear off and almost restart with a fairer distribution of finances and proper competition. It can't be much fun for the Premier League mid-table, knowing that there's a glass ceiling they can never really reach.

I've said this for a while too.

It would involve fans accepting a trade off in quality for increased competitiveness though- honestly no idea how that would go.

8 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

TV rights for remaining Premier league and lower league teams will plummet drastically. 

It would be great if they the big 6 TV franchises left - we would have properly competitive football in England again - please make it happen!

I can’t see where it states the clubs would not compete in domestic leagues? It’s almost a revamp Champions League into a full Elite league for rich clubs to share the wealth between them. Only 5 English teams would be involved.

The chief reason the big clubs want to cut the Premiership to 18 teams to play less games and more focus on this Elite league.

I would be all for the big six as others to bog off permanently, I’m pretty sure this elite league would run out of favour. I know I certainly wouldn’t watch.

• Like 3

Good riddance if true. Didn’t get their way with the other nonsense. 

IF this turned out to be their new domestic league, then I bet the clubs respective supporters will be relishing having to travel to Europe every other weekend or whatever for an away game. 

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

I can’t see where it states the clubs would not compete in domestic leagues? It’s almost a revamp Champions League into a full Elite league for rich clubs to share the wealth between them. Only 5 English teams would be involved.

The chief reason the big clubs want to cut the Premiership to 18 teams to play less games and more focus on this Elite league.

I would be all for the big six as others to bog off permanently, I’m pretty sure this elite league would run out of favour. I know I certainly wouldn’t watch.

It is not clear but if it is a genuine league of 18 clubs playing home and away, so 34 games,  with a knock-out tournament at the end then it is hard to see how these clubs could also be in the EPL. But it may be less than that.

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

I think you are right @Indy, this is just the next step in the plan, rather than a bolt in the blue. 34 domestic League fixtures, 34 Euro League fixtures. B teams picking up the slack. No Community Shield or League Cup.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is not clear but if it is a genuine league of 18 clubs playing home and away, so 34 games,  with a knock-out tournament at the end then it is hard to see how these clubs could also be in the EPL. But it may be less than that.

Exactly, 68 games is probably on par to what they play now with both cups, so can see those big 5 not playing in domestic cup or fielding u 23 in those competitions.

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

What I've read suggests it isn't clear yet if UEFA are on board with this as a Champions League replacement or if it is a power move by Fifa. However I agree I can't see them agreeing to a minimum 34 game league on top of the Premier League and they'll want to maximise the revenue. I imagine a 34 game season combined with time to play a bunch of showpiece friendlies in China or the the US would appeal to them.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

We don’t ever have to worry about this with owners with zero ambition 

And this now makes me happy : )

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Exactly, 68 games is probably on par to what they play now with both cups, so can see those big 5 not playing in domestic cup or fielding u 23 in those competitions.

A champions League team is currently guaranteed a minimum of 46 games so this would still be a step up.

The big thing is even if they stayed in the domestic league it would ruin the competition as there would be no qualification from the domestic league into the European League. 

3 minutes ago, BigFish said:

I think you are right @Indy, this is just the next step in the plan, rather than a bolt in the blue. 34 domestic League fixtures, 34 Euro League fixtures. B teams picking up the slack. No Community Shield or League Cup.

This would mean a successful team in the Euro League would likely play another 4 games in a playoff format too.

I can't see clubs signing up for a season of potentially 70+ games and nor would I want them to- it would either lead to the domestic competitions being neglected with clubs fielding reserves/youth teams playing or horrendous levels of player stockpiling amongst the top clubs to fulfil those fixtures.

Clubs like Man U aren't interested in playing lots of games v teams like Burnley or West Brom- if they can get rid of those to play Bayern or Madrid they will do.

7 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Ring fencing the wealth and protecting their own interests!

Just now, king canary said:

A champions League team is currently guaranteed a minimum of 46 games so this would still be a step up.

The big thing is even if they stayed in the domestic league it would ruin the competition as there would be no qualification from the domestic league into the European League. 

Yes, start in the second week of August, play the EuroLeague midweek, Prem weekends, 4 international breaks and you are done by end of May just like now.

Probably running B teams in the Prem to reduce players workload

Love this! Can’t wait. Our self financing model would actually put us in a great position as when the TV money disappears all those prem clubs will be shown to be swimming naked. Maybe Webber got a Liverpool tip off.

Let them go and create an NFL style football league with their massive budgets and salary caps and divisional rivalries and whatever whatever. But they absolutely must NOT be permitted to play in our domestic competition.

We know the championship is more exciting in the prem, and this would show that a fairer more competitive league can also be a great product. Revenue would be down but not completely out.

2 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Yes, start in the second week of August, play the EuroLeague midweek, Prem weekends, 4 international breaks and you are done by end of May just like now.

Why would they bother though?

Sure there is extra ticket money but I doubt Man U fans are going at attend 35/40 home games a season.

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

As they seem to be able to make up their own rules, I can see that happening.

The idea of them having the best of both worlds irks me. The arrogance and greed is appalling.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

True King, but I can see an American Style two league system, where you might have two leagues of 10 teams meaning they play 18 games then a top four from each into a playoff type system. It’s standard in the US and probably driven by TV.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Sure there is extra ticket money but I doubt Man U fans are going at attend 35/40 home games a season.

United have a lot of fans, and not many of them are actually from Manchester.

What would be interesting would be to see one of the PL 'Big 6' teams finish last in this European Premier League... can you imagine how their fans would react if they lost week-in, week-out for a whole season?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

What would be interesting would be to see one of the PL 'Big 6' teams finish last in this European Premier League... can you imagine how their fans would react if they lost week-in, week-out for a whole season?!

That is why they would need a salary cap system or some kind of financial ‘boost’ for last placed clubs to get them more competitive like in the NFL draft system.

And that would make it totally unviable to work with a domestic league as the financials would be even more ridiculous than they are now. 

Let them do it. I doubt many real football fans would be interested in it and we might just get football back to being a sport. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, WD40 said:

That is why they would need a salary cap system or some kind of financial ‘boost’ for last placed clubs to get them more competitive like in the NFL draft system.

And that would make it totally unviable to work with a domestic league as the financials would be even more ridiculous than they are now. 

And promotion and relegation makes it problematic too.

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

Money, tradition........there would be more TV money, gate money, develop the fanbase with more chance to see live games, develop players, can pretend they haven't walked away from their roots, insurance in case it all goes **** up.

This must not be allowed to happen. It will destroy the premier league and just ring fence the wealth in the hands of these 5 or 6 clubs who no doubt will expect the fixture lists and cup schedules to be organised around their new international tournament.

The pure greed and disregard for sporting competition and integrity is absolutely repulsive. I don;t often wish ill health or ill fortune on people but I would make an exception for the owners and boards of Liverpool and Manchester United given their current behaviour.