Just watching Villa highlights on SSN.  Reason why Villa are winning is due to the fact there are none of their disagreeable supporters in attendance.

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

As for one of the Far Eastern billionaires that are queuing up for a slice of FCR, I have bad news. Yellow is seen as a very unlucky colour, and given how seriously people there take superstition, I think you can do the math from here on in.

Um disagree there Alex... quite apart from Green being symbolic in Islam, yellow and green are important colors in China and associated cultures. 

Yellow is an imperial color in traditional Chinese color symbolism, representing power, royalty, and prosperity. Yellow represents the earth in traditional Chinese culture.

Green is similar in both Western symbolism and traditional Chinese culture. In the West, green stands for harmony, wealth, growth, and eco-friendliness. In Chinese culture, green stands for cleanliness, youth and purity from contamination. It's also the color associated with heaven. 

Edited by Surfer

2 hours ago, pete said:

But you would have to support the odious Grealish.  Pity we can't rustle up £200m to make the odd signing.  Early days still time for it to fall apart.

I’m sure other fans said the same when we had Grant Holt

59 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Um disagree there Alex... quite apart from Green being symbolic in Islam, yellow and green are important colors in China and associated cultures. 

Yellow is an imperial color in traditional Chinese color symbolism, representing power, royalty, and prosperity. Yellow represents the earth in traditional Chinese culture.

Green is similar in both Western symbolism and traditional Chinese culture. In the West, green stands for harmony, wealth, growth, and eco-friendliness. In Chinese culture, green stands for cleanliness, youth and purity from contamination. It's also the color associated with heaven. 

Fair historical points on China, Surfer, though from what I’ve heard the Chinese see yellow as a cowards colour and wearing green can give the sign that the person is a cheat and practices infidelity. Not really great if you’re a proud family man.

In Malaysia it is even illegal to wear the colour yellow! So I think it’s fair to say investment can be ruled out from there ; )

11 hours ago, Highland Canary said:

Sadly, our supporters lack the ambition to be anything other than little ‘ole Norwich.

We can only be ambitious for things that are within our control to do or achieve. Or not.

We can't be ambitious for something that we aren't in control of.

We can want and hope for the club to be ambitious though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Fair historical points on China, Surfer, though from what I’ve heard the Chinese see yellow as a cowards colour and wearing green can give the sign that the person is a cheat and practices infidelity. Not really great if you’re a proud family man.

In Malaysia it is even illegal to wear the colour yellow! So I think it’s fair to say investment can be ruled out from there ; )

Is that really true Alexo?  Illegal? Im gonna have to look that up.

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Don’t be silly! No one on here is a glory supporter or desires to be. Some just see Norwich as a club that can’t quite mix it with the big boys and find it a tad frustrating. 

Happy clapper mate, sees everything through yellow and green tints.

Wow, yellow made illegal in 2016...  due to political protesters wearing yellow. Yellow now seen as demonstrating opposition to the Govt. Apologies for doubting the veracity of your post Alexo. I have several yellow T shirts, but no immediate plans to visit Malaysia, phew.! 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Wow, yellow made illegal in 2016...  due to political protesters wearing yellow. Yellow now seen as demonstrating opposition to the Govt. Apologies for doubting the veracity of your post Alexo. I have several yellow T shirts, but no immediate plans to visit Malaysia, phew.! 

Yep, apparently so, Corkio, and no need to apologise - I’m good at getting stuff wrong ha ha. 

Villa have billionaire owners, they have the 5th/6th richest owner in the PL.  City on the other hand were bottom of the rich list of owners last year.  Villa also average 12-13k more people in the ground per home matches when fans are allowed.  The gulf is absolutely huge and on top of that, as much as no one likes to hear it, Villa are a bigger club than we are.  For added context, the season we won the Championship, our owners net worth was listed towards the bottom of list of owners in that league as well.  That's not to say we shouldn't be trying to compete but honestly, it gets tiresome to see these comparisons.  If there was a long list of billionaires that our owners are refusing to sell to then fair enough but I don't see long queue.  Even if we did have a billionaire owners, our crowd numbers would still limit what we could spend on transfers/wages compared to Villa because of FFP, they have more wiggle room.  It's a much more complex situation than just spend more money Delia! 

Edited by seanthecanary

Let’s not forget they’d have gone down last season but for the goal line technology thingy not being switched on v Sheffield Utd just after lockdown. 

However good luck to them, they deserve to be where they are at the moment. 

On the subject of ambition, what we supporters aspire to or not is pretty irrelevant as it has to come from those who own the club and control what is spent. 

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Exactly, because of our model, self financing approach or however we rebrand the project in the future. We can’t compete under this regime or similar (master Tom) in the top league. 

The point I was making was that Villa - despite all the money behind them - ended up in a position where they took a gamble that by all accounts would have left them in a financial mess if it hadn't come off. We could dump the self-funding model and have a rich owner and it would still not be justifed to emulate what Villa did.

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

China associates yellow with heroism, it’s the west who thought cowardice. In Thailand Monday is yellow day, so all’s not lost lost on a magical owner coming here. 

So Villa are looking really good this season, fair play to them. But does it prove their 'model' works? Is it something other clubs should aspire to? I don't think so...

They have spent circa £200m in the past two seasons and if it were not for literally a once-in-a-lifetime goal-line technology malfunction they would currently be sitting in the same league as us in absolute financial ruin. And we would all be looking over at them thanking to hell that we didn't do something similar. Fine margins hey!

I just don't really understand what part of that is something we should look up to? And how do we ensure our team does a Villa, and not a Fulham? Would it not be more fair to aspire to all teams who spend **** loads, not just the ones who spend **** loads and get extremely lucky to stay up?

Lots of Captain Hindsights when it comes to this sort of thing. Always aspiring to be the current 'in' club; will be Leicester, Wolves and Villa for a while but once they have their spell it will move on to another team. Hardly fair is it? We have had some good spells in recent years - much more so than plenty of other similar level teams (Sheff Weds, Forest, Derby, Bolton, Sunderland, Ipswich, Stoke, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Swansea, Cardiff etc etc), but because we have never punched above our weight quite to the degree of the select few of the current overperforming clubs, we are a failure / have no ambition etc etc.

Really just comes off a little childish / entitled to me - and for the record yes I would love to see my team right up there too. I am however able to appreciate quite a lot about our club - as well as aspiring for the greater success everyone else does. This appreciation appears to be missing in so many of our fans. I just don't get the need for jealousy and spite, how do these people cope in real life? Do they get upset when someone is better at your job than you, did they quit playing an instrument when they saw someone better? How do they raise their kids when they aren't quite as unrealistically successful as they had hoped? Just isn't what supporting a football team - nor life in general - is about for me!

Should we have spent more money last season? Well I think that will depend on where we end up this season, if we occupy the top two spots, or get promoted via the play-offs, then the lack of spending will be justified. We will have an extremely strong base for another survival attempt and I would wager a good level of spending to bring in some quality upgrades right through the team (shock horror yes I believe we would?!?!?). But for now I am happy to wait to see how the season develops before passing judgement or tearing up over the fact we aren't Villa. 😞 

However, I would suggest that given the injury crises of last season, no amount of spending (relative to how much our club actually COULD spend) would've plugged those gaps. And in that sense we should be glad we never went for broke like Villa did. As we are all in the business of hindsight not sure why that stumbling block gets disregarded..

Or do we only get to use our powers of Hindsight when its to criticise the club?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

Villa have billionaire owners, they have the 5th/6th richest owner in the PL.  City on the other hand were bottom of the rich list of owners last year.  Villa also average 12-13k more people in the ground per home matches when fans are allowed.  The gulf is absolutely huge and on top of that, as much as no one likes to hear it, Villa are a bigger club than we are.  For added context, the season we won the Championship, our owners net worth was listed towards the bottom of list of owners in that league as well.  That's not to say we shouldn't be trying to compete but honestly, it gets tiresome to see these comparisons.  If there was a long list of billionaires that our owners are refusing to sell to then fair enough but I don't see long queue.  Even if we did have a billionaire owners, our crowd numbers would still limit what we could spend on transfers/wages compared to Villa because of FFP, they have more wiggle room.  It's a much more complex situation than just spend more money Delia! 

Seemingly we are also 3rd bottom in the rich list of Championship clubs. 

The guy who owns Barnsley is worth £7bn 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The point I was making was that Villa - despite all the money behind them - ended up in a position where they took a gamble that by all accounts would have left them in a financial mess if it hadn't come off. We could dump the self-funding model and have a rich owner and it would still not be justifed to emulate what Villa did.

Wouldn’t it be marvellous if we tried to stay up next time we’re promoted. We can’t keep using Wolfswinkel and Naismith as excuses why never to spend again. It’s not just freebies and nominal fee signings that are sold on for mega bucks. 

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Happy clapper mate, sees everything through yellow and green tints.

God you're weird. 

"Buh u suportz tha cl4b so urz a happyz clap4rz m8!!"

12 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Seemingly we are also 3rd bottom in the rich list of Championship clubs. 

The guy who owns Barnsley is worth £7bn 🤷‍♂️

Never thought i'd see the day but...

WHY AREN'T WE BARNSLEY?!

• Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Wouldn’t it be marvellous if we tried to stay up next time we’re promoted. We can’t keep using Wolfswinkel and Naismith as excuses why never to spend again. It’s not just freebies and nominal fee signings that are sold on for mega bucks. 

I do agree with this part of your argument, if not all of it. Being burnt in the past doesn't mean you shouldn't even try again in the future.  I fell of my bike loads of times but I didn't stop riding it.  Although I don't think we should have spent what Villa did, we didn't help ourselves either.  

Edited by seanthecanary

17 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Well, I for one have never used Naismith etc as an excuse, and I am not wedded to the Nephew Plan, but my point, well explained above by Hank shoots Skyler, remains. Even with money there would be a limit to what we could spend, and the kind of gamble Villa took to try to stay up would never be justified.

Why is there no loyalty with you 'why aren't we' supporters? You all seem to be fickle flibbertigibbets hopping from club to club as they rise and fall. It only seems like 5 minutes since you wanted to be Sheffield united.

Imagine if we'd spent the summer trying to be Sheffield Utd only to learn it should have been Villa....

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Why is there no loyalty with you 'why aren't we' supporters? You all seem to be fickle flibbertigibbets hopping from club to club as they rise and fall. It only seems like 5 minutes since you wanted to be Sheffield united.

Imagine if we'd spent the summer trying to be Sheffield Utd only to learn it should have been Villa....

Before that, we should have been Stoke. Before that, Portsmouth,  Before that, Bolton. Before that, Charlton.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Well, I for one have never used Naismith etc as an excuse, and I am not wedded to the Nephew Plan, but my point, well explained above by Hank shoots Skyler, remains. Even with money there would be a limit to what we could spend, and the kind of gamble Villa took to try to stay up would never be justified.

Quite right and no one would suggest we should. That said our spending and belief we could stay up were non existent in the summer of 2019. We’re Norwich City and we don’t like to spend. 

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Naismith will always be a bad example for me as well and not just because it shouldn't stop you spending money if you can.  At some point during our pursuit of him, alarm bells should have been ringing over the sheer amount of convincing it took to get him here.  He clearly didn't want to move his family down South.  

3 hours ago, seanthecanary said:

If we had richer owners, they may extend the ground. Carrow Road is usually full and I bet there’s a big list of People wanting season tickets! 

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

“Why can’t we all be happy with mediocrity?”

• Like 1

Hurts me to say it. They have a regular physical, fit and competent centreback. Tyrone Mings.

15 minutes ago, vos said:

Hurts me to say it. They have a regular physical, fit and competent centreback. Tyrone Mings.

They also don’t limit the purchasing to Poundland, Lidl and the VG on payday.