Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

our 'experienced' back two of Hanley and Gibson

Personally I think Hanley is a weak link. Last season he actually benefitted from being in a team on the backfoot as all he was expected to do was defend so his no nonsense style stood out.

This season we'll be playing more on the front foot and his limited technical ability and general lack of mobility will be more exposed.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Personally I think Hanley is a weak link. Last season he actually benefitted from being in a team on the backfoot as all he was expected to do was defend so his no nonsense style stood out.

This season we'll be playing more on the front foot and his limited technical ability and general lack of mobility will be more exposed.

I would not go as far to say hanley is a bad defender- But he's sure not a top tier defender. I will give him credit however for his captaincy and I think he's a decent guy from a personality perspective, and I do think he's a strong behind the scenes personality and leader etc but hopefully he steps up to this occasion

Personally think these are the best two centre backs we have, first time they have played together and thought they did ok, finally have two centre backs playing in their prefered position, as in Gibson left, Hanley right. 

• Like 4

They'll do alright. It's the two in front that will be key to during up the defence. 

• Like 1

Thought Hanley was our best CB last season when he came back from injury and partnered Zimbo. It was good to see a lot less confusion at the back during that passage of games. 

• Like 1

It's there first game together ever so it will take time. 

A consistent centre half pairing is just as key as a consistent centre mid pairing and needs a bit of time to settle. 

Hanley has a mistake in him but all round he's not a bad defender 

36 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

They'll do alright. It's the two in front that will be key to during up the defence. 

100% this. One of the main issues yesterday was Rupp and Skipp didn't protect the back four adequately, allowing Rotherham to constantly run on to our defence at pace.

You all know who we need. Legend has it that if he had been at the battle of Thermopylae, they would have needed 299 less soldiers to block the pass.

OTBC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Hi KC

I thought last year when Hanley made his brief reappearance was when we stopped conceding goals. The season before he was classed as so fast that the song ‘ You’ll never beat Grant Hanley ‘ echoed around Carrow road.

• Like 1

Hanley might not be rapid, but he does have a nifty turn of acceleration on him. Not much top speed, but quick to get started.

28 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Hanley might not be rapid, but he does have a nifty turn of acceleration on him. Not much top speed, but quick to get started.

I agree, watch the way he chased the ball for ‘that goal’ Klose scored against the scum. Showed great determination and speed 

It will be interesting to see who Farke chooses once Zimmermann is fit again. Personally I think he keeps Hanley in, but you never know. Zimmermann has struggled since his return - he needs matches, but he won't get them sitting on the bench. 

I thought Hanley was a little better than Gibson overall yesterday. 

I think they're both very capable defenders at this level. They've both proven it previously, too.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

It will be interesting to see who Farke chooses once Zimmermann is fit again. Personally I think he keeps Hanley in, but you never know. Zimmermann has struggled since his return - he needs matches, but he won't get them sitting on the bench. 

I do think Zimmerman is a decent centreback and an 'absolute unit' as the saying goes but he hasn't looked his best recently. Deer lost in headlights would sum up some of his recent performances.

Then again always need to remember that prior to joining us he played in the German 4th tier.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

10 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seeing as due to injuries and lack of options this may end up being our back line for a while-

How do you rate these two together?

Could be worse, They both need a run of games.

Considering he hadn’t played for nearly 2 years, Gibson has impressed me in both of his appearances for us so far this season, but was disappointed with Hanley‘s performance yesterday although he hadn’t played for over 6 months either. Think Hanley will improve over time though but prefer Zimbo to him at the moment

Agree that central midfield still seems to be the problem area. Skipp is very much learning his trade and has already shown an understandable level of inconsistency. Great prospect though. Rupp is a decent player, but I'm not sure if he has the sort of quality to drive a promotion push across a season in a squad still reeling from the end of last season & struggling for consistency. I'd say the same about McLean.

We always look more balanced with Tettey on the pitch. If he was paired with Skipp, I don't believe it would necessarily be too defensive. Both like to venture forward on occasion & it would give the front 4 & the full-backs a bit of freedom to press higher. Worth a look. Hopefully we'll get to see Sorensen in action soon too, preferably in midfield! Good aul Tetts might help to steady the ship as this new look squad beds in & searches for some consistency and confidence.

20 hours ago, Well b back said:

Hi KC

I thought last year when Hanley made his brief reappearance was when we stopped conceding goals. The season before he was classed as so fast that the song ‘ You’ll never beat Grant Hanley ‘ echoed around Carrow road.

I don't think we ever stopped conceeding goals but I get your point.

It isn't that I think he's bad- just that a team playing on the front foot, like we'll mainly be this season, somewhat highlights his weaknesses. 

From the small amount I've seen of him, I'm happier with Hanley playing next to Gibson who is a bit more comfortable on the ball and mobile than I would be with him next to Zimmerman. 

Ideally though, we'd have bought someone in to challenge those two.

Did you not see the crazy turn Hanley did on Saturday?! It was ridiculous to see him doing that but I liked it 😂

Individually our CB's a great even though we don't have enough of them and I'm still annoyed we didn't bring in any cover.. The problem is we basically play a 4-2-4 with at least one full back high whenever we have the ball. It's going to lead to problems defensively. Very few managers would play 4 out and out attacking players and expect his full backs to push up so high. Even with world class CB's we would get exposed consistently, it works when our passing is at a good level because teams can't get the ball off of us, it also works when we press well as a team and defend from the front, when we don't play well however we are extremely exposed playing the way we do and teams have very little resistance when they break our press and get a run on us which puts our CB's and GK under huge pressure. 

For me we don't need to defend better (set pieces excluded) we need to be smarter in possession, make better decisions and pass, move and keep the ball much better than we have done for pretty much the whole of 2020 for Farke's system to work. Our passing is generally okay to good most of the time, it's the move part we seem to struggle with, we don't offer the player in possession enough options at times with players instead preferring to stay central and high and wait for a perfect pass. We expect our CM's to do all of the work in this area which drags them out of position while our attacking players don't do enough often enough for me.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, paddycanary said:

Agree that central midfield still seems to be the problem area. Skipp is very much learning his trade and has already shown an understandable level of inconsistency. Great prospect though. Rupp is a decent player, but I'm not sure if he has the sort of quality to drive a promotion push across a season in a squad still reeling from the end of last season & struggling for consistency. I'd say the same about McLean.

We always look more balanced with Tettey on the pitch. If he was paired with Skipp, I don't believe it would necessarily be too defensive. Both like to venture forward on occasion & it would give the front 4 & the full-backs a bit of freedom to press higher. Worth a look. Hopefully we'll get to see Sorensen in action soon too, preferably in midfield! Good aul Tetts might help to steady the ship as this new look squad beds in & searches for some consistency and confidence.

Rupp is so close to being a very fine player - if only his first touch was better, that would give him so much more time to find a team mate but at the moment every pass is rushed because his control is so bad. Skipp is clearly a quality player but is trying too hard to do everything so is frequently out of position - that discipline will definitely come with games though.

With Sorenson and Tettey we do have options, but whoever we play there just has to be more disciplined than they were against Rotherham and provide a lot more protection to the back four. Equally our front four have to do more closing down higher up the pitch to give those two (whoever they are) the chance to recover. On Saturday, especially in the first half, Rotherham's midfield completely dominated and that only changed slightly in the second half because Idah, Hugill and Buendia started closing down. Steipermann is always bad at it but Pukki normally makes up for him - but of course he wasn't there, so once passed our front four they often had 3 or 4 players attacking our back four without challenge.

This has always been a problem for Farke's team - that number 10 position is so crucial, and that's why Dowell's injury is so disappointing as I really thought he could be the solution there.

• Like 1

I think they will forge a good, strong partnership which should be able to cope well with the physicality of the championship. 

However, Hanley messed up for that goal on saturday. Could and should have intercepted that header and I think in a couple of games time when the rust has worn off he would not make the same mistake. 

If both players are fully fit then Hanley and Gibson should be choice for Birmingham game. 

Have to agree with those that look at quicker movement when going forward and less back passing .  The best defence starts with forward play.

23 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

100% this. One of the main issues yesterday was Rupp and Skipp didn't protect the back four adequately, allowing Rotherham to constantly run on to our defence at pace.

You all know who we need. Legend has it that if he had been at the battle of Thermopylae, they would have needed 299 less soldiers to block the pass.

OTBC

I do agree with this. I still think that teams are able to run at our defence too easily when we lose the ball. They only have to get past one player or sometimes none at all to get a free run and shot. This still needs addressing. I live in hope that Sorensen may be the answer (if he's ever allowed on the pitch) but if not then Tettey needs to play in some of our tougher games. 

8 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Rupp is so close to being a very fine player - if only his first touch was better, that would give him so much more time to find a team mate but at the moment every pass is rushed because his control is so bad. Skipp is clearly a quality player but is trying too hard to do everything so is frequently out of position - that discipline will definitely come with games though.

With Sorenson and Tettey we do have options, but whoever we play there just has to be more disciplined than they were against Rotherham and provide a lot more protection to the back four. Equally our front four have to do more closing down higher up the pitch to give those two (whoever they are) the chance to recover. On Saturday, especially in the first half, Rotherham's midfield completely dominated and that only changed slightly in the second half because Idah, Hugill and Buendia started closing down. Steipermann is always bad at it but Pukki normally makes up for him - but of course he wasn't there, so once passed our front four they often had 3 or 4 players attacking our back four without challenge.

This has always been a problem for Farke's team - that number 10 position is so crucial, and that's why Dowell's injury is so disappointing as I really thought he could be the solution there.

From what I've seen/heard about Skipp he isn't quite what I expected and maybe not quite what we need.

I agree what we miss is a discipline in central midfield- someone who will sit, cover for those bombing forward and play 'horizontally', covering the width of the pitch to snuff out counter attacks when we lose the ball. I thought Skipp would be this but instead he's seemingly more of a box to box terrier type.

I'm hoping Sorenson might be the answer in this case. It seems he's not featured yet due to injuries and illness rather than not impressing Farke, so maybe a pairing of him and Skipp might work to provide adequate cover while using Skipp's obvious ability/energy in getting up and down the pitch. 

34 minutes ago, king canary said:

From what I've seen/heard about Skipp he isn't quite what I expected and maybe not quite what we need.

I agree what we miss is a discipline in central midfield- someone who will sit, cover for those bombing forward and play 'horizontally', covering the width of the pitch to snuff out counter attacks when we lose the ball. I thought Skipp would be this but instead he's seemingly more of a box to box terrier type.

I'm hoping Sorenson might be the answer in this case. It seems he's not featured yet due to injuries and illness rather than not impressing Farke, so maybe a pairing of him and Skipp might work to provide adequate cover while using Skipp's obvious ability/energy in getting up and down the pitch. 

Thing is thoigh I struggle to see when Sorensen is going to get a chance to play himself into contention unless farke plans to rotate the squad over the next 3 or 4 games. Even if we lose a game and Farke decides to shake up the midfield I can only see him bringing Kenny into the side. Tettey is also not getting any minutes and desreves time on the pitch as well. He is actually the type of player we are missing in my view and i'd like to see him feature in our tougher away games next week. I just don't see how Sorensen gets a game and i could see him becoming a little disillusioned if we are not careful.

52 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I do agree with this. I still think that teams are able to run at our defence too easily when we lose the ball. They only have to get past one player or sometimes none at all to get a free run and shot. This still needs addressing. I live in hope that Sorensen may be the answer (if he's ever allowed on the pitch) but if not then Tettey needs to play in some of our tougher games. 

I also agree. 

When our current midfielders are 5ft 7 and 5ft 8, they will be outmuscled and out fought against a lot of these Championship teams. Winning 50/50 challenges are so important. As someone (I think Roy Keane?) said, 'Once you match the opposition team physically, the outcome of the game will then be decided by talent'.  

That isn't a huge criticism, by the way. I think they are both good footballers and have plenty to offer. I just hope that Sorensen is a ball playing version of Tettey.

32 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Thing is thoigh I struggle to see when Sorensen is going to get a chance to play himself into contention unless farke plans to rotate the squad over the next 3 or 4 games. Even if we lose a game and Farke decides to shake up the midfield I can only see him bringing Kenny into the side. Tettey is also not getting any minutes and desreves time on the pitch as well. He is actually the type of player we are missing in my view and i'd like to see him feature in our tougher away games next week. I just don't see how Sorensen gets a game and i could see him becoming a little disillusioned if we are not careful.

Farke has already showed a willingness to switch it up- we've seen McLean and Pukki both dropped so far this season. 

I also think it depends on whether there has been games he's wanted to start Sorenson and couldn't. 

I just hope that if he does bring him in, it is for Rupp and not Skipp.

On 18/10/2020 at 11:53, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

OTBC

I don’t think the Ginger Pele is still playing is he?