Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

So, which one is it?

For what it's worth, I think we've probably been slightly unlucky to lose the games we've lost but slightly fortunate to win the games we've won. Out of the five games we've played, they've all been pretty close affairs, as has been demonstrated by the scorelines.

Performances and results at the end of the day have matched. We haven't been great overall in terms of performances which is reflected in our 2-1-2 record and mid-table position. 

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

When we lost to Derby a lot of posters on here didnt like the fact I said we played well. I was told it was points that mattered not performance.

In my book we struggled to control the game throughout today in comparison however we created plenty.

But its a bit obvious that there's more trolls on here than I give credit for - because the same posters who said it was points on the board that matters are now posting tonight saying its papering over the cracks, we're awful etc because the performance wasn't good enough.

For me, the performances tell more of a story than results at this stage of the season and first half was too much of us trying to play differently as well as Rotherham coming out more attack minded and high pressing than I think we were prepared for.

maybe I'm greedy but it would be nice to occasionally play well and win... winning will do though for the time being.

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Although I do agree that we looked poor, particularly in the first half...

... How can you not give Krul more tham a 6? 

Skipp looked good as well. 

His initial mistake for the first goal, which he did again in the second half. Fantastic save for the pen but he could have done better for their goal and was lucky with the one that hit his leg. Plus he didn't show a lot of leadership on the set pieces which we defended appallingly again. But 6 isn't bad and he had learned to position better for their free kick from Rooney distance, at least.

Didn't think Skipp was a 6 today - like everyone else his passing was astray and he was frequently caught too far upfield when they broke on us. His positional screening is nowhere near Tettey's standard yet and when he and Rupp went marauding forward they often had 4 against 4 on the break.

11 hours ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

As for your comment about getting stick after the Derby game, I would say that was because it wasn't actually a good performance, Derby were deemed to have struck lucky that day, but I said at the time they got their tactics spot on.

This tactical masterclass; did they factor in the missed penalty and the two brilliant saves their keeper would have to make?    They defended well, but tactics spot on!!!  No, of course they got lucky!   We created enough to justify winning that game but that’s football.     

So much of all sport is confidence, there was a lot that wasn't great yesterday, but I'm inclined to say that doesn't matter because of the way we won.

95th minute wins give teams the confidence to go behind and patiently play. That was something we were doing 2 years ago, expecting that eventually a team would break down under the pressure. A result of that expectation is that you play better football and dont force your passes. Also the first goal was incisive and fluent, it completely opened Rotherham up, used Max effectively as the outlet out wide and used the fact there is a big guy in the centre to force a mistake. For me that showed a coherence of thought and action that we havent seen in half a year.

We almost lost because of the same old problems we have had for 20 odd games, but we won because of the things that promoted us 2 years ago. With the desire that Krul, Gibson and Hugill have shown, coupled with a bit of self belief for the younger or less vocal players, I think (maybe it's more hope) that we will see a lot more of the latter and a lot less of the former in the next few weeks.

Edited by 1902
  • Like 1

The thing is, we've just come out of a season in which not a single thing went well for us. We've signed twelve players who all need to gel. Farke is also playing a different style of football, which takes its time to implement.

There's always going to be comparisons to the season we won the league, but this is very, very different.

I always thought we should be looking at the situation again around Christmas. I stand by that. I think this side needs patience to rid us of last year's demons, bed in and gel together. 

• Like 1

A win is a win, we may have rode our luck at times but we got 3 points and they were needed to build confidence. In some ways it is all that matters but having watched all the games this season and last, I'm asking myself when was the last time we actually played our best football? It wouldn't matter so much if we were a solid defensive unit but we aren't. We have 1 clean sheet against Huddersfield who looked pretty toothless on opening day. I don't think we are a side that can  grind out enough 1-0,0-0 results against the better sides in this league over the next 40 games to put us in promotion contention. Sooner or later things are going to have to click into place or it will be a long season. So, for now, a win is all that matters and we'll take points however they come. Going forward we need to start playing our football and scoring more goals to have a successful season. 

We played better against Derby, but we certainly didn't play well. For long periods of that game they were comfortable and the classic smash and grab was always on the cards the longer the match went on.

Yesterday we looked pretty clueless at times which I think was Farke's fault caused by the mismatch of tactics versus team selection. Having said that it was an entertaining game to watch, but more League One with plenty of chances and zero quality.

For me results are more important as from that confidence improves as will the performances. Fail to win and confidence quickly falls, as we saw against Derby and as we saw yesterday with the lack of fluidity. If performances are your thing, then go watch 'Strictly'. Football always has and always will be a results based thing.

Luckily we have another game soon and we can start all over again!

Some people can’t give the club praise or accept that it’s due, the same as other people can’t criticise the club or accept that it’s due. The polarisation on this board    is reaching 2017/18 levels.

20 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Some people can’t give the club praise or accept that it’s due, the same as other people can’t criticise the club or accept that it’s due. The polarisation on this board    is reaching 2017/18 levels.

Oh no it isn’t!

Unfortunately this post is another one designed to bait. The initial points made are fair ones, but there really is no need to start calling out and bashing other posters as well. The way I see it is you let the haters hate, and do not respond to it in any form, either direct responses to posts or in your own posts. I would see myself more towards the optimistic/positive end of the scale, but that is not to say I do not have big concerns over how I think we will fare this season. My personal approach is to see where we are after 10/12 games and use that as a basis for my opinion, but each to their own and be kind to each other...........

15 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

First we have Lakey telling everybody to shut up and now we have a thread calling out trolls. Well i can't say i am too surprised so who is next to start a thread having a pop at posters, my money is on Jerrykerry ?

What a silly old man you are. 

You're one of the biggest trolls on this forum. You constantly bait people then play the high and mighty card and pretend you're not. 

Edited by Jerrykerry
  • Like 1