Sign in to follow this  
yellowrider120

Rivers

I know the guy can infuriate with some bland, dull commentary although the bit about the 'thick Yorkshire accents' before the game was funny. However, the most perceptive comment all game was just before the end when he said...........'whenever Mario comes on, every Norwich player wants to give him the ball'. Whether his .......'legs have gone' I've no idea but he is the best passer of the ball at the club, zero doubts about that. We should try and get him in the team somehow.  

• Like 1

How about the comment he made when one of their midfielders made a run...” that guy has slinky hips”. 

I thought was funny but him and Goreham ( was it goreham) we’re getting on my nerves

I always get a bit perplexed about the whole pace thing.

Defensive midfielders don't need to have a lot of pace, nor do holding midfielders. You can afford to have a CM without a lot of pace.

The quickest players in a side tend to be on the flanks or up front. Does it help to have a lot of pace in the middle of the pitch? Yes, but it's equally important to be able to pass, if not more so.

My favourite commentator/pundit on our games. By a distance. Much, much better than some more high profile former players.

Edited by GJP

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

I know the guy can infuriate with some bland, dull commentary although the bit about the 'thick Yorkshire accents' before the game was funny. However, the most perceptive comment all game was just before the end when he said...........'whenever Mario comes on, every Norwich player wants to give him the ball'. Whether his .......'legs have gone' I've no idea but he is the best passer of the ball at the club, zero doubts about that. We should try and get him in the team somehow.  

So is this a thread about Mark Rivers, or Mario Vrancic?

I have to admit I can be critical of him and believe he does have quite serious flaws in his game, but I thought he was great today when he came on. At his best, he is a game changer. Let's hope we see lots more of his best this season.

53 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

So is this a thread about Mark Rivers, or Mario Vrancic?

I have to admit I can be critical of him and believe he does have quite serious flaws in his game, but I thought he was great today when he came on. At his best, he is a game changer. Let's hope we see lots more of his best this season.

His main observation was that Vrancic almost always passes the ball FORWARD!!

1 hour ago, GJP said:

My favourite commentator/pundit on our games. By a distance. Much, much better than some more high profile former players.

My dodgy stream had Radio Rotherham commentary. Believe me Goreham and Rivers are a breath of fresh air and are actually pretty balanced in their opinions.

Rivers lasts the game, unlike when he played when he was always subbed after 60 mins.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

His main observation was that Vrancic almost always passes the ball FORWARD!!

Correct - as distinct from the much hyped up Leitner I might add who for some mysterious reason many fans are clamouring to see return to the fold.  

29 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Correct - as distinct from the much hyped up Leitner I might add who for some mysterious reason many fans are clamouring to see return to the fold.  

Becchio syndrome. In a similar way, we were doomed unless Emi played, and while he's a great player, we haven't benefited greatly from his return yet.