Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Should Pickford have been sent off?

It’s something I’ve thought about for a while - awful challenge that’s injured a player but as he was offside it doesn’t matter....seems a bit ‘wrong’ somehow,

Godfrey now on for his debut though...

Edited by Branston Pickle

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s something I’ve thought about for a while - awful challenge that’s injured a player but as he was offside it doesn’t matter....seems a bit ‘wrong’ somehow,

I agree. If I punched someone when the ball was not in play, I would still be sent off. Pickford basically assaulted VVD 

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

1 minute ago, seanthecanary said:

I agree. If I punched someone when the ball was not in play, I would still be sent off. Pickford basically assaulted VVD 

Here's a closer image. I know he's offside but come on, and to think both the ref and all at VAR thought this was fine

pickford.jpg

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Here's a closer image. I know he's offside but come on, and to think both the ref and all at VAR thought this was fine

pickford.jpg

Definitely cannot understand it. That's a potential career ending lunge and to say it doesn't matter because of offside makes no sense. England had a player sent off after the Denmark game the other night so rules do still apply after the whistle has gone

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Godfrey being subbed on for Everton-

Former Norwich player, see this thread is now Norwich related

The tone of the BT commentary! You'd think that with the 'what a moment this is for him stuff .... wow that was a good block .... it's a tough ask for him predominantly a centre back having to go in at right back, Godfrey does incredibly well (gasp) etc etc ....  that he'd never done this first team football thing before.

Still, that Ancelloti chappy will be able to turn him into a Prem player, what with his development skills!!!! 

• Like 1

Awful challenge. Just a bang average, out of form keeper trying to injure another player to prove himself.. properly gone down in my estimations now

Edited by ELYOUKAYEE

Desperation lunge by a keeper rather than anything malicious. Red would still be a defensible shout on that one though. The lead leg's not hit VVD square on, which would be your archetypical leg-snapper - Pickford's hit him coming through.

8 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

The tone of the BT commentary! You'd think that with the 'what a moment this is for him stuff .... wow that was a good block .... it's a tough ask for him predominantly a centre back having to go in at right back, Godfrey does incredibly well (gasp) etc etc ....  that he'd never done this first team football thing before.

Still, that Ancelloti chappy will be able to turn him into a Prem player, what with his development skills!!!! 

Yeah Godfrey looked shaky at first but has grown into it, made some solid clearances (that diving header that punted the ball halfway down the pitch was impressive) and I'm sure everyone will be pleased when i point out how good hes looked when he gets forward and has played in midfield 😉

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Van Dijk was NOT offside so should have been a red. Interesting to see biased Andy Gray defending that tackle.

Edited by paul moy

Only red if violent conduct after an initial stoppage. Punch = red. Bad foul = not. Makes sense because you can’t send someone off if there technically isn’t a foul - and if VAR shows there’s an earlier offside then there isn’t a foul.

Not really relevant here, but it does also make a mockery of this linesmen not putting their flag up and relying on VAR thing. Bad tackle comes in, ref gives a red. Oh hang on, striker was offside and linesman just didn’t bother putting his flag up so let’s overturn the red, give an offside and you’ve potentially got an injury that wouldn’t have happened if the flag had just gone up. 

In that sort of instance surely we need a law change so the red stands? Or that you basicslly class a red-card challenge as violent conduct?

Edited by Aggy

2 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Thank god we don't have VAR anymore, pathetic decision 

Agreed, but given my dislike of Liverpool it is pretty funny that and Liverpool always getting VAR in their favour it's some nice karma