Sign in to follow this  
CDMullins

Here's What You Could Have Won...

All players who have moved today who could have ramped up our squad in postions we lack/have injuries;

Barry Douglas

Aden Flint

Ryan Bennett

Cameron Carter-Vickers

Jake Clarke-Salter

Joel Latibeaudiere

Harry Wilson

Harvey Elliott

Anthony Knockaert

Don't believe the financial nonesense, we're doing it on the cheap.

• Like 2

I find it quite amazing watching the fact that some clubs are prepared to push the boat out possibly financially extending themselves, yet we - who appear to have a few bob at the moment - can't sign anyone to help strengthen the squad. I genuinely believe we are a weaker squad than when we went up 2 years ago. Which now begs the question to be asked of Webber what exactly are the future plans for us?

• Like 1

As I have said before Webber is off end of this season he only wants three years hear. So is he that bothered 

Just now, Hucks6 said:

As I have said before Webber is off end of this season he only wants three years hear. So is he that bothered 

He's here until the end of next season (summer 2022). He has said this several times.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

He's here until the end of next season (summer 2022). He has said this several times.

I think you’ll find hucks6 has said he’s leaving at the end of this season. Webber has no choice but to go.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 2

We all know we are not in the same league as many other clubs financially, so there is no "financial nonsense, we're doing it on the cheap" stuff - we are simply doing it as it is - and that means we cannot always compete for the players we would like.

We generally get players because they buy into the way the club is set up and the way it plays football and the opportunities it gives to young players.  Other players will simply go where they will get more money. I think, on the whole, I would rather have players whose first thought is for the football they play rather than the amount of money they will get.  We are not exactly paying peanuts to players and they will make a very good living with us, so it is not as if we are asking players to play for nothing.

And if any of those players on your list looked at us and thought, nah, they won't pay me enough.....then they were never going to be a good fit for us anyway....and who knows, we might have looked at some of those and thought, no, we don't want them.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

And to be honest, if we don’t get promoted again will there be other better deals for him on the table than he would have here? Might well be here long after 2022.

21 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

All players who have moved today who could have ramped up our squad in postions we lack/have injuries;

Barry Douglas

Aden Flint

Ryan Bennett

The first two are 31 and the last 30 - why would we want to sign players of their age with no resale value to slowly see out their career on the way down?

I'm very happy that we are no longer a club that offers semi-retirement to players

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We all know we are not in the same league as many other clubs financially, so there is no "financial nonsense, we're doing it on the cheap" stuff - we are simply doing it as it is - and that means we cannot always compete for the players we would like.

We generally get players because they buy into the way the club is set up and the way it plays football and the opportunities it gives to young players.  Other players will simply go where they will get more money. I think, on the whole, I would rather have players whose first thought is for the football they play rather than the amount of money they will get.  We are not exactly paying peanuts to players and they will make a very good living with us, so it is not as if we are asking players to play for nothing.

And if any of those players on your list looked at us and thought, nah, they won't pay me enough.....then they were never going to be a good fit for us anyway....and who knows, we might have looked at some of those and thought, no, we don't want them.

Its laughable, we didn't spend a penny last year and we've sold Lewis/Godfrey since, how can we not be competing with the Blackburn, Swansea and Notts Forest's.

Every other club is going through what we are, its not stopping them investing.

In terms of these players being a good fit for us, I'd rather have a 2nd LB and a 4th CB than not, we shouldn't have been at this desperate stage.

Edited by CDMullins
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

The first two are 31 and the last 30 - why would we want to sign players of their age with no resale value to slowly see out their career on the way down?

I'm very happy that we are no longer a club that offers semi-retirement to players

Because we don't have a cover left back;

Or a 4th choice CB - would be 3rd choice tomorrow since Zim is out again.

You're absolutley right though, these arent players that we should be targetting, we should have been proactive before selling Godfrey/Klose/Lewis/Maccullum

But these are players that have gone today that are better options than Rupp at LB or Tettey at CB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

You're absolutley right though, these arent players that we should be targetting, we should have been proactive before selling Godfrey/Klose/Lewis/Maccullum

But these are players that have gone today that are better options than Rupp at LB or Tettey at CB.

Not strictly true, Sorensen can happily play CB.

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

So no club should sign players over 30?

Personally, I'm pretty pleased that we offered semi-retirement to Tim Krul, for example.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Not strictly true, Sorensen can happily play CB.

Forgive me for prefering an established Championship CB over a lad who hasn't made an appearance for us in his actual position.

25 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Cameron Carter-Vickers - played 16 games for league One Luton last year

Jake Clarke-Salter - played 19 games for Birmingham despite being on loan there all season - goodness we have really missed out there then! 

Joel Latibeaudiere - as far as I can see he has hardly ever played a senior game - 5 games for FC Twente

Harry Wilson - probably the best of the lot, but doesn't seem that there were a whole load of premier clubs after him? Better than Emi or Todd? I think not - hey let's just loan him to block and chance for Josh Martin and Plachetta to develp(or however it's spelt)

Harvey Elliott - 17 - might be a useful player - but nowhere as good as what we've got from what I can see as a loan player.

Anthony Knockaert - another winger that's not as good as what we have

Well -  having seen what we could have won, I'm glad we didn't buy a ticket!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

If you pack your squad with back-ups - you block the route to the first team for others, especially the younger players.

e.g. Sorenson plays at CB for Denmark U21s + others who they might feel are close.

We've got 4 full backs - how many more do you want?

It is not just bad financial management to pack your club with players that are never going to play, it also damages squad harmony and blocks the elevation and promotion routes for younger players.

It is a bad idea in just about every conceivable way.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

I find it quite amazing watching the fact that some clubs are prepared to push the boat out possibly financially extending themselves, yet we - who appear to have a few bob at the moment - can't sign anyone to help strengthen the squad. I genuinely believe we are a weaker squad than when we went up 2 years ago. Which now begs the question to be asked of Webber what exactly are the future plans for us?

Squad - maybe : first team no.

GK - same

LB - upgrade

LCB - upgrade (at least defensively) 

RCB - same

RB - same

LDM - same

RDM - upgrade

LAM - same (but he's more experienced now)

RAM - same

CAM - same

CF  - same

Bench - same / upgrades 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Badger said:

All 3 of them CB's are better than our current 4th choice CB.

With Hernandez and Dowell out and Placheta already having injury issues, we really are relying on Todd/Emi  not sulking and getting back to their best.

13 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So no club should sign players over 30?

Personally, I'm pretty pleased that we offered semi-retirement to Tim Krul, for example.

The club saw the need for Krul and made him first choice straight away. I doubt that the same applies to any of the three quoted.

A clue might be that we have already let Bennett go on a free once before when he was younger!

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Carter-Vickers played in the Championship for Luton last season and was apparently pretty decent.

And whilst I'm not advocating these players as their positions are not a priority and their wages are out of our price range, but surely Knockaert or Wilson would have comfortably improved out first XI?

All 3 of them CB's are better than our current 4th choice CB.

With Hernandez and Dowell out and Placheta already having injury issues, we really are relying on Todd/Emi  not sulking and getting back to their best.

If you pack your squad with back-ups - you block the route to the first team for others, especially the younger players.

It is not just bad financial management to pack your club with players that are never going to play, it also damages squad harmony and blocks the elevation and promotion routes for younger players.

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

e.g. Sorenson plays at CB for Denmark U21s + others who they might feel are close.

But history tell us they are going to play,

Zimmerman and Hanley both missed chunks of last season.

I want 2 LB's, I don't want Byram playing LB, I want enough cover so we don't put square pegs in round holes, somethng we did last season and something we've clearly not learnt from.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

surely Knockaert or Wilson would have comfortably improved out first XI?

Better than Emi and Todd?

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yes I’m not sure why people are not mentioning Sorensen as a CB, it’s not like he’s not played there! He’s a full youth international the same as Latibeaudiere mentioned on his list!

1 minute ago, Badger said:

The club saw the need for Krul and made him first choice straight away. I doubt that the same applies to any of the three quoted.

A clue might be that we have already let Bennett go on a free once before when he was younger!

Aside from the fact we releases Bennett primarily for financial reasons as he was a high earner, players improve. Lots of clubs release players who go on to play well at a higher level.

I'm not talking about Bennett specifically, but completely writing off players because they are 30+ and have no resale value when they would add quality to the squad right now would mean you potentially miss out on a lot of decent players.

But history tell us they are going to play,

Zimmerman and Hanley both missed chunks of last season.

I want 2 LB's, I don't want Byram playing LB, I want enough cover so we don't put square pegs in round holes, somethng we did last season and something we've clearly not learnt from.

Well, I suspect that club think four full backs and that players benefit from being flexible, learning and playing rather than sitting around just training without playing. I agree with them, you don't.

FWIW, I thought Byram did well at LB in any case and it's how Max first made his way for us from memory? Who knows - if we had had another left back, he might not have got his chance or for that matter Lewis. You have to have some spaces for players to come through.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Aside from the fact we releases Bennett primarily for financial reasons as he was a high earner, players improve. Lots of clubs release players who go on to play well at a higher level.

I'm not talking about Bennett specifically, but completely writing off players because they are 30+ and have no resale value when they would add quality to the squad right now would mean you potentially miss out on a lot of decent players.

I agree -- that's why I'm glad we signed Krul. However, signing 30+ year olds to be back-ups just strikes me as a way to block promotion routes for younger players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Badger said:

I agree -- that's why I'm glad we signed Krul. However, signing 30+ year olds to be back-ups just strikes me as a way to block promotion routes for younger players.

They wouldn't necessarily be a backup though- Zimmermann is injured now and Hanley probably isn't match fit.

Also, why didn't we just keep Famewo and McCallum if we want to give opportunities to younger players? Wouldn't Famewo be a safer pair of hands than Omobamidele in the short-term, and would be preferable to using players out of position? Surely McCallum can't be terrible enough to warrant using Stiepermann or Rupp as left-back options?

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

They wouldn't necessarily be a backup though- Zimmermann is injured now and Hanley probably isn't match fit.

Also, why didn't we just keep Famewo and McCallum if we want to give opportunities to younger players? Wouldn't Famewo be a safer pair of hands than Omobamidele in the short-term, and would be preferable to using players out of position? Surely McCallum can't be terrible enough to warrant using Stiepermann or Rupp as left-back options?

Again Sorensen is comfortable at CB, we have cover, we don’t if another gets injured.