Sign in to follow this  
Unlucky Fried Kitten

What is this Waghorn quote widely mentioned on here?

Excuse me for being a bit thick, but it appears as if the thrust of Rick Waghorn''s article is that internet posters spend much time discussing the merits of a potential target witout any firm evidence that he is a potential target. Is it just my failing memory or did I not read a large back page article in the EDP suggesting that Andy Gray was a target, including quite a large picture of said player (just in case we want to lynch him should he ''set foot in Norfolk'')?

So who was responsible for this scandalous piece of rumour-mongering? We should be told.

creveat emptor - let the buyer beware.  when you read bloggs, message boards you know what you''re getting and everybody filters out the stuff they don''t believe it true, or decent on fair.  once you''ve creamed off the dross, i believe there is decent debate and opinions can be discussed, shaped and formed - all healthy slef-expression.  but, oh dear. the screws of the world boss is nervous ''cos the citizen reporters could take away their readership  and  therefore the power to deliver murdochs message to the masses, but he''s saying don''t listen to the amatuers ''cos its made it up tittle tattle at its best and false mispresentation at its worst -  so getting your reporter to dress up a sheik to get sven to spill the beans is ok is it? nuff  said. waghorns jumps on this tawdry bandwagon for a glimpse of a moral; highground, but the fact is, the advent of the cyber age means now you can choose to read opinions about city on the pink un message board as easily as his column. who''s norwich city reporting, opinion and debate gets you most excited, this message board or rick waghorn''s column?

i agree, serious case of pot and kettle. no better exemplified than by this paragraph:

''“Never let the truth get in the way of a good story,” is one of those tabloid sayings that all journalists like to cling to; in reality, the law of libel and defamation pins many of our thoughts and moves. As does maintaining a productive relationship with the football club.''

Firstly, that''s rubbish to say they''re pinned. Libel laws don''t stop jack when it comes to the transfer speculation that he talks about. Look at all the rubbish that came out about Ashton in the summer.

And secondly, is it me or does it sound like he''s actually bemoaning that he feels journalists can no longer, "let the truth get in the way of a good story"?! The media, agents, players and clubs have been playing themselves off each other for their own aims for years - now that we''re joining in they don''t like it! It''s not as if we can actually have an effect in the way that a rumour planted in a paper by an agent to get a move for his player does.

Tough Rik, get used to it!

Waghorn has a similar problem to Adams on Radio Norfolk he is too closely linked to and dependant upon the club so he is hamstrung. The same obviously does not appy to ''The Man'' or ''Dick Balls.''