cambridgeshire canary

England v Denmark match thread

The team is a fekin joke. Lead by Mr Noballs and captained by someone with the IQ of a pencil. 

These players are supposed to be representing the nation! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Less underperforming, more 

5 at the back with 2 defensive midfielders against Denmark of all teams

Leaving your best players such as Grealish on the bench to bring on Henderson in the 70th minute while losing, and while bringing on Calvert Lewin who only ever plays as one up top to play on the wing out of position beside Kane

Consistently and blatantly picking favourites when it comes to players rather than picking players based on form

Southgate is the epitome of the yes man in football management. Dull, conservative and very predictable. 

A truly terrible performance... which clearly states the obvious.

Sadly, we’re never going to win anything when Gareth keeps choosing a cautious formation against a defensive opponent and insisting on selecting players that clearly are inept. How anyone sees anything in Declan Rice is beyond me – who always takes the easy option and passes it immediately sideways or back. That added with the dream team of Walker  (a clumsy defender) and Maguire (not mentally recovered since his arrest).

I too would like to see Grealish and Maddison playing behind a front man, at least to try something new. Playing them as false wingers, as Gareth seems to prefer, is an utter waste of creative talent. Either that or two strikers with one of them behind.

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Looks to be a good decision to go out for a meal tonight on my part.

Having a meal on your part sounds dreadfully painful. I hope you were careful.

Edited by Pugin

Pickford and Maguire were the two players (along with Mount) the majority of fans thought should never have started. 

They were the two people largely responsible for the defeat.

You could have let 80% of fans pick the lineup last night and we'd have probably won the game. 

Southgate is inept. 

A couple of seasons ago I thought that Southgate was getting it so right. About the time that Ali was at his pomp and he had Vardy to call upon. Remember the comeback against Germany?

They then looked to be the makings of a good side.

Ok. He's without Raheem Sterling as well and perhaps Ali, a player who seems to blow hot and cold, has faded a bit and a pity about Vardy's reluctance, but it does seem to me that Southgate has lost the plot somewhat. He seems to have a decent pool of talent at his disposal but is now the ultimate tinkerman who is chopping and changing things around overmuch. Perhaps it's injuries or other factors, but this is not the England team I fancied to finally win something of significance, not so long ago, when this 'modern' manager could seemingly do little wrong. 

I also detect that he's fallen into the club "tag" syndrome, whereby the team an individual plays for gets preference over ability, team blend and tactical reasoning.  I maybe wrong.    

He’s too negative. England fans would rather go down swinging with a 4-3-3 playing inventive, attacking football than setting up negatively with 2 defensive midfielders against poorer sides and trying to scrape a 1-0 win, when we’re actually not great defensively and end up hanging on more often than not.

Never gonna have a good team if you change it up so much. It's not like they play together week in week out. Need a solid core team 

His stubbornness over Grealish is annoying. He's the best Englishman currently playing the game. Feels like Southgate is trying to prove some kind of point but I'm not sure to what benefit.

Southgate is not the man of the job.

We had a decade of failing to make the most of an abundance of midfield talent in the Scholes-Gerrard-Lampard-Carrick generation, now we've got a manager who doesn't know what to do with a real playmaker like Maddison or Grealish.

I like him as a person and he was the right man for the job in the short term when he took over, but we need a more technical manager who knows what to do with players who like to play.

Louis Van Gaal would be my choice, took the Netherlands to 3rd place in a World Cup, built that famous Ajax team. He would appreciate the likes of Maddison and Grealish and each XI would have at least one of them in it.