dylanisabaddog

£25m for Cantwell

41 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

All teams would look at potential upgrades

I suspect the reason Cantwell hasn't had any serious interest is because:

1). He wouldn't actually improve most teams, and some of those that he would improve aren't really spending (e.g. Burnley)

2). A smaller Prem side won't want a player who in 18 months time downs tools to try and force a move. Everybody has their five year plan, and having a disruptive individual in the dressing room won't be part of that plan.

Cantwell his own worst enemy, and to think that he does this without there actually being any firm interest - the mind boggles! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

1). He wouldn't actually improve most teams, and some of those that he would improve aren't really spending (e.g. Burnley)

2). A smaller Prem side won't want a player who in 18 months time downs tools to try and force a move. Everybody has their five year plan, and having a disruptive individual in the dressing room won't be part of that plan.

Cantwell his own worst enemy, and to think that he does this without there actually being any firm interest - the mind boggles! 

At the time, I was surprised when Webber and then Farke threw Cantwell under the bus.  I thought they were being silly and unprofessional.  But 2) makes me wonder if Cantwell isn't actually his own worst enemy...

I think Cantwell would flourish at someone like Sheffield Utd or Leeds. I would take the £25m if we saw the likes of Dennis Man (although I believe this deal is dead) come in for less money and another quality player. I cant really see any incoming's or outgoings before tomorrow.

Edited by jaberry2

6 hours ago, pliff said:

The only 2 players last season that did well were Krul and Aarons

Disagree.  Not just Krul and Aarons - Cantwell and Byram played well too. 

The news coming from NCFC no bids for Cantwell is not an announcement that we are happy to keep him.  But a nudge to Leeds any interested party that we would welcome some interest in who may be a disruptive influence who will improve your team.  So far noone interested is that due to the fee being touted or clubs concerned more about Cantwell's demeanour.  Come on Todd need to stamp your feet harder get on social media and tell us how unhappy you are. 

The club is probably going to have to think about improving Todd's contract if it is to get anything like £25m for him. June 2022 is not long away and I can see this ending up like the Ryan Fraser situation at Bournemouth if we aren't careful.

Farke said too much at the time and I think that has put potential suitors off.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think most don't look too much into that, especially since they'll have access to both sides of the story if they've had a chance to speak to Todd.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

The club is probably going to have to think about improving Todd's contract.

I should think that the club has thought about that a lot over the past year. Clearly he wants a lot more than we feel we can offer. 

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

God things really do get a life of their own.

Farke saying Todd had lost some focus in training has become 'downed tools to force through a move.'

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

Farke saying Todd had lost some focus in training has become 'downed tools to force through a move.'

I think you've said this, but Farke has to take some responsibility for going public with Todd - for some reason the amount of stick and mistruths / exaggerations made about him on here and elsewhere youd think he was actually Danny Haynes rather than a local Norwich lad who's worked exceptionally hard to make it into the first team.

But then, look at the stick the Murphys got for not being Christiano Ronaldo.

12 hours ago, king canary said:

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

17 hours ago, hogesar said:

I think you've said this, but Farke has to take some responsibility for going public with Todd

But if he didn't say anything, then there would be specualation as to why he had been left out of match day squads.  Honest and open is something Farke always said he would be - and that is what we got and a good thing too.  The fact that it turns into something else is not his responsibility, that belongs to those who want to build it up into something else.

What he said clears up things for fans, it also sends a message to Todd, job done....over to Todd now to show his worth on the pitch week in and week out - and in the process shut up his detractors.

Edited by lake district canary

56 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

But if he didn't say anything, then there would be specualation as to why he had been left out of match day squads.  Honest and open is something Farke always said he would be - and that is what we got and a good thing too.  The fact that it turns into something else is not his responsibility, that belongs to those who want to build it up into something else.

What he said clears up things for fans, it also sends a message to Todd, job done....over to Todd now to show his worth on the pitch week in and week out - and in the process shut up his detractors.

It hasn't really cleared much up for the fans though has it? It's just given those who already disliked him (usually for wearing gloves, having long hair and not wearing a shirt on instagram) an excuse to pile on.

As I've said before, if I was Cantwell I'd be pretty pissed off with Webber and Farke right now.

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

It hasn't really cleared much up for the fans though has it? It's just given those who already disliked him (usually for wearing gloves, having long hair and not wearing a shirt on instagram) an excuse to pile on.

As I've said before, if I was Cantwell I'd be pretty pissed off with Webber and Farke right now.

Certainly true King, but those daft messages he posted in his accounts don’t help him if his performances have dropped off. If that was one of my employees not working to his agreed contractual standards I’d sack them, yet footballers are protected. 
I think Cantwell has the potential to be a fantastic footballer, he’s certainly shown it, but I get the impression rather than kick on and focus on improving himself he’s more a look at me type, hopefully he’ll learn from this summer and get his head back down to being the best he can be. Do that and he’ll get that move he wants.

Some fans are far too invested in the club and take to thinking they have the right to actually throw insults on social media. Having opinions on a forum is fine but no player deserves to be directly targeted on social media.

Edited by Indy

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

Certainly true King, but those daft messages he posted in his accounts don’t help him if his performances have dropped off. If that was one of my employees not working to his agreed contractual standards I’d sack them, yet footballers are protected. 
I think Cantwell has the potential to be a fantastic footballer, he’s certainly shown it, but I get the impression rather than kick on and focus on improving himself he’s more a look at me type, hopefully he’ll learn from this summer and get his head back down to being the best he can be. Do that and he’ll get that move he wants.

Some fans are far too invested in the club and take to thinking they have the right to actually throw insults on social media. Having opinions on a forum is fine but no player deserves to be directly targeted on social media.

I have no doubt Todd doesn't really help himself.

However for me this whole thing seemed to start with the somewhat un-needed shot by Webber about players staying on the pitch for the cameras post relegation. Even if you do think that isn't right, I don't think our sporting director should be taking passive aggressive shots at our own players, particularly one that already gets more stick than most. 

I don't know Todd but it strikes me that this whole thing could have been avoided with a bit of an arm round the shoulders and making him feel wanted, rather than singled out. I know he's 23 but IMO Farke and Webber are the 'adults' here and haven't handled the situation very well from my point of view.

Of course, it could be that he's back in the fold this week and the whole situation spurs him on to have a great season- in which case what do I know?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

If I was Cantwell, I would take on board what has been said and learn from it. Being pissed off would help no-one, least of all himself.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

However for me this whole thing seemed to start with the somewhat un-needed shot by Webber about players staying on the pitch for the cameras post relegation. Even if you do think that isn't right, I don't think our sporting director should be taking passive aggressive shots at our own players, particularly one that already gets more stick than most. 

I don't know Todd but it strikes me that this whole thing could have been avoided with a bit of an arm round the shoulders and making him feel wanted, rather than singled out. I know he's 23 but IMO Farke and Webber are the 'adults' here and haven't handled the situation very well from my point of view.

Of course, it could be that he's back in the fold this week and the whole situation spurs him on to have a great season- in which case what do I know?

Precisely this ^

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I totally agree about Webber’s shot, wasn’t good, but as we don’t know what Todd and his agent were pushing before our relegation, I don’t think Webber took that shot without some background to it, it’s not like him.

I think we all agree that both club and player could have handled it far better, some fans are idiots to be so nasty on social media to Cantwell totally uncalled for and if the lad gets his head right could flourish and become a superb player on a regular bases for us.

Fingers crossed he’s back in the mix this weekend because without him and a Buendia we look pretty toothless.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 2