Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Next three games

Rotherham away followed by Birmingham and Wycombe at home, surely we can get nine points from that lot. If we don’t I can foresee some serious questions being asked of Farke and Co.

That's exactly the point isn't it, Farke will view them as weak opposition, will just do exactly the same as he has been doing and we'll get the same results as we have been getting. 

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

If we lose all three games Farke will still be here whether we like it or not.

Not sure there?...lose all 3 including Wycombe...the only thing that might be keeping us off the bottom is Sheff Weds points deduction

....that would be 5 defeats in a row....I'm not so sure he would survive that?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Agree with Til, he'll still be here, but things will get ever more difficult for him if we don't pick up points soon.

Who wrote that paragraph for Lakey? 

• Haha 1

Can’t see any way we lose all three. I don’t think we’ve been toooo bad this year and we should (I hope!) have too much for at least Wycombe. If we do lose all three though, I think he goes.

Less than six points I think questions are still being asked - Rotherham and Wycombe are sides we really should be beating if we’re going to be anywhere near playoffs. 

10 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Not sure there?...lose all 3 including Wycombe...the only thing that might be keeping us off the bottom is Sheff Weds points deduction

....that would be 5 defeats in a row....I'm not so sure he would survive that?

I am basing it on him coming through that awful post lockdown end to last season when we smashed some pretty uncomfortable club records without the blink of an eye from either Webber or the board.

The man is bullet proof in my opinion GJL.

• Like 2

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

I am basing it on him coming through that awful post lockdown end to last season when we smashed some pretty uncomfortable club records without the blink of an eye from either Webber or the board.

I think we/the board accepted before the post-lockdown games we were down and so there was, in their eyes, no point changing anything. It was always the plan for him to be here at the start of this season regardless.

If we lost the next three, bearing in mind the quality of the opposition, I think we’d have to act, unless we were really, really unlucky in all three games and absolutely dominated but it didn’t go our way.

Such strange times, no crowds the squad in a state of flux, two narrow defeats in the last two games suddenly asking for 3 wins on the bounce is probably being very optimistic, if we cannot win 2 out of those however then we can forget promotion for this season

3 losses and everyone will want him to go. 

3 wins and he's the messiah again. 

Anywhere in between and the pink in forum moaners get to carry on. 

Edited by Jerrykerry

28 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I think we/the board accepted before the post-lockdown games we were down and so there was, in their eyes, no point changing anything. It was always the plan for him to be here at the start of this season regardless.

It was the manner of defeat in those post lockdown games that was hard to swallow as performances were well below the standards expected from a Farke team.Waving the white flag before a ball was hardly kicked in many of them at that.

He survived all that somehow.

45 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

To be fair, Webber took that bullet and said that the failures last season were down to him failing to provide Farke with enough quality to be upwardly competitive in the Premier League.

At this point in time, with the transfer window open, it is clearly horrific. We don't know if one or two good performances will highlight premier league teams to a potential bargain etc. They have clearly tried to bring in replacements in advance but were also clearly not expecting to lose all of the players they have (looking at Klose in particular). But it is going to take time for them to bed in. As it has done for all of their signings really.

48 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Yes, but there's a significant difference between losing vs the likes of Chelsea Arsenal and Man City with an inferior squad...to losing to Rotherham and Wycombe with a supposedly superior squad?

If we played like Derby, missed clear chances and penalties and dominated start to finish then I wouldn't expect to see him sacked for 3 losses. As always, it's impossible to comment until you've seen the actual games (not that it's ever stopped people previously, but you know what I mean).

16 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

It was the manner of defeat in those post lockdown games that was hard to swallow as performances were well below the standards expected from a Farke team.Waving the white flag before a ball was hardly kicked in many of them at that.

Sort of.

I think project restart underlined exactly how important momentum and keeping the games coming are for promoted teams. I know this sounds daft, but when you have games coming thick and fast so to speak, you don't stop to think. It's a strange situation and one that we were not alone in struggling with. Not to mention for a club like ours, the fans really do have an impact. Go and watch some of the games we pulled out of the bag on the promotion season and see how the crowd response turned them around, or coincided with getting them back on track.

The noise they get from our crowd is immense. Some ex pro's have already eluded to the fact many players play better with the crowd behind them.

I think the surprising thing for me is that people thought we could walk the premier league (again) and that it would be easy. The writing was on the wall well before Project Restart really, we needed to win the first couple of games for it to be really anything other than a desperate clawing and remaining in the EPL.

I felt jaded that the season had continued. Watching footballers getting tested three times a week when care sector workers were getting no tests. Supermarket workers getting no tests. Our police force not getting tests (and now being encouraged not to) And generally test results not coming back fast enough let alone within 24hrs. 

Edited by chicken

Don't you worry boys, we'll be top at XMAS. 

We may be the only one who hasn't gone into administration too, but we will be top.

14 hours ago, hogesar said:

If we played like Derby, missed clear chances and penalties and dominated start to finish then I wouldn't expect to see him sacked for 3 losses. As always, it's impossible to comment until you've seen the actual games (not that it's ever stopped people previously, but you know what I mean).

Wait, you mean you HAVEN'T made your mind up before the games have actually been played?

You might be on the wrong site Hog.

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Agreed and the manner of pretty much all of the football after restart wasn’t good enough. 

I think though the board didn’t really care - in their eyes we were down, he was going to be here at the start of this season, we could have lost 10-0 every week and they’d have written it off as the result of covid/behind closed doors etc. 

That said, I think he also benefitted from the short gap between the seasons. A new manager wouldn’t have had a full pre-season to get things how they wanted. New manager would have come in, probably had the same results we’ve had now (or worse) and we’d be on his back already. In many ways, it was a safer bet to give Farke a run until Christmas, if he turns it around then great, if he doesn’t, bring in a new manager then with less pressure on him and half a season “free hit” almost to start preparing for next year. 

1 hour ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Wait, you mean you HAVEN'T made your mind up before the games have actually been played?

You might be on the wrong site Hog.

I'll be honest,  I can't see it catching on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

More interested in performance levels. Second half against Bournemouth was promising. First twenty against Derby was very promising, and there were some good spells dotted around afterwards, including that lovely passage of play when we won the penalty. Keep doing the right thing more often than not and eventually the results will come. That was how we got the momentum we did when we won the Championship last time - kept trying to play good possession football and with time movement became more fluid and eventually it became a steamroller.

But we had some very slow starts early on. Leeds humping us 0-3 without the lube at Carrow Road? Struggling grimly against Ipswich to that 1-1 draw at Portman Road. Getting beat 0-1 by Stoke in October when we were definitely the better side, just couldn't pot the white.

If you're going to push me for a points total I'd be content with a win and two draws as a minimum, but if we play at this level I also think that's what we'll get.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Bennett said:

The performance levels are a better indicator. 

Not sure it is. Would we accept being closer to the relegation zone than the playoffs at Christmas (or even in the relegation zone, which if we lose the next three games is where we probably will be) if the performances had been alright? Not sure even our board would stand for that.

As for 6 points or 7, I think everyone has said that would be fine haven’t they? I think the general consensus seems to be roughly that 6 or more points is good, 4 or 3 points you’re a bit worried but if performances are alright then carry on, but below three points then you’ve got to be considering your options.

If we were really outstanding in all three games and still got one or 0 points then maybe he stays, but realistically you might play well and get unlucky in one off games here and there. You don’t play really well but get unlucky and lose five in a row. 

I can remember when we were top of the league under Alex Neil in November the season after relegation and people were still moaning saying we would fall apart before long, which of course we did. Assuming we are still in the top half in a month or two and not off the pace but with mixed results and playing well I’d have thought that’s preferable as in that scenario it’s more likely we would be winding up to a promotion challenge rather than scraping results which isn’t sustainable. 

Of course if we are off the pace and in the bottom half come Christmas it will end only one way. 

• Like 1

I believe the most pressing issue regarding Farke's future is his game management. It's OK to say we had most of the possession, as we did in the Bournemouth and Derby games, but if there is no end product he needs to implement plan B and he's been given the ability to do this with that additions to the squad with pacey wingers and an old fashioned style centre forward who can put himself about and is good with his head. If he continues with this seeming unwillingness to change formation and style of play to change the course of a game then I reluctantly feel he will have to go.

21 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I can remember when we were top of the league under Alex Neil in November the season after relegation and people were still moaning saying we would fall apart before long, which of course we did. Assuming we are still in the top half in a month or two and not off the pace but with mixed results and playing well I’d have thought that’s preferable as in that scenario it’s more likely we would be winding up to a promotion challenge rather than scraping results which isn’t sustainable. 

Of course if we are off the pace and in the bottom half come Christmas it will end only one way. 

Exactly. There are times when you know a top-of-the-league side early on is not going to maintain it. There's a reason why Leicester's Premiership win is so fondly remembered - it was such an anomaly. How many league games did we lose after New Year when we won the Championship? Two, was it?

Especially in a league where the programme is as congested as this one, momentum will be key. It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

• Like 1

We will win all 3 games pukki will put his boots on the correct feet so his toes are ok and he doesn’t slip over we will be in the top 6 

If we don't get at least 11 points from the next three games the levels of outrage will result in an on-line campaign to build a wickerman for Farke's sacrifice on the roof of the Castle surrounded by a baying mob, howling "why we got no cash?" and calling for <<insert name of journeyman manager>> to come and rescue us. 😂

Apples

• Haha 1