Jump to content
Pugin

The appalling over-reaction to all / any Todd Cantwell stories

Recommended Posts

Honestly, give the guy some breathing space, and don't jump on every slanted item in the media to expound ever-more imaginative speculation of what he may be doing / thinking / planning or not doing / not thinking / not planning.

The magnification of every Todd-related story, tittle-tattle, and social media post is like a feeding frenzy.  

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think he's signing for Barcelona in their esports division. Traitor! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best currency is performance. If Todd rocks back into the first team and performs, all will be forgiven pretty quickly. But he has to focus.

He won't be the first promising player to have had his head turned after playing reasonably well in his debut top-flight season. And I'd also say it's been exacerbated by the pure professionalism of Lewis and Godfrey in getting their moves, and Aarons despite a ton of background noise. Their mental strength and consistent performance has highlighted Todd's slight weaknesses in his mental make-up. Nevertheless, for as long as he wears our colours, I will support him as a player as he's definitely got the potential to take this league by storm, and we know he's capable if we go up to boot.

A few on here have said they think he's getting poorly advised and I'm inclined to agree with them. All Farke has basically asked of him is to keep his feet on the ground and his focus just ahead.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. Indeed. 

Half a dozen pages whenever he changes his hairstyle.

He's a local lad come good. He's flamboyant in his appearance and readily drifts into the superstar role (on a local level). He courts controversy. He's not quite as good as some make out, or as he himself seems to believ he is. He is destined to be wealthy because that's the name of the game. He might or might not be that bright. He may or may not be being ill-advised. He would appear to have the world at his feet, but exists in a fragile environment where failure can come suddenly and with demeaning consequences.

He seems to get more attention than the rest of the squad combined. I don't know about other media, tbh, but some on this forum do seem rather OTT in their reactions to the young man.

If that's what he wants, then fair enough. If it were me I'd want to hibernate in a cave for a few months.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree, the only trouble is by starting this thread you're giving them them the chance to repeat the same old rubbish. 

The only advantage of Todd leaving would be that we could concentrate on what really is going wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In his end of season interview, Farke said that the young players were very good, but that he questioned the  influence and the advice given to them by their agents. No surprises for guessing who the "being advised to maintain his brand on social media" was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a bit frightening watching those clips. We are currently a shadow of that team which played with some much pace and confidence. Lets hope we get it all back and QUICKLY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

He is the spawn of the Devil, the anti christ 

Ah, so you’re gradually allowing room to warm to the guy?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Pugin said:

Honestly, give the guy some breathing space, and don't jump on every slanted item in the media to expound ever-more imaginative speculation of what he may be doing / thinking / planning or not doing / not thinking / not planning.

The magnification of every Todd-related story, tittle-tattle, and social media post is like a feeding frenzy.  

All good footballers get attention from other clubs the problem comes when a player loses focus because of it and in Todds case was dropped for his lack of focus which has cost NCFC league points. He should have let his highly paid agent take care of any speculation and continued to give 100% to the club that has given him the opportunities and pay his salary. Todds absence probably has cost us league points and that is why so many people have been anti him I'm sure his alice band isn't that important to people but it's a dig at him for letting us down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mullet said:

All good footballers get attention from other clubs the problem comes when a player loses focus because of it and in Todds case was dropped for his lack of focus which has cost NCFC league points. He should have let his highly paid agent take care of any speculation and continued to give 100% to the club that has given him the opportunities and pay his salary. Todds absence probably has cost us league points and that is why so many people have been anti him I'm sure his alice band isn't that important to people but it's a dig at him for letting us down

Unfortunately, he is human. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mullet said:

which has cost NCFC league points

 

26 minutes ago, Mullet said:

probably has cost us league points

I think what you were getting at  was that Todds absence MAY have cost us points, but you really cant say with any certainty.....is that fair?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

i think people who are Critics of Todd's and i am one ,are also Trying to Protect him in their own way 

He has played 63 games for City and very good footballer 

When you see Farke saying he is not focus etc and then he will post a Bare chested photo the day after 

i think it is Disappointment for the Lad ,

Just concentrate on your football Everything else will follow 

the cars the Bigger money the Women etc ( if that is what he wants )

But at this point in time he needs to focus Playing the best you can Now 

Just be the best player you can be not known for the wrong reasons that may Damage his young career

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

 

I think what you were getting at  was that Todds absence MAY have cost us points, but you really cant say with any certainty.....is that fair?

Yes thats fair 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

 

i think people who are Critics of Todd's and i am one ,are also Trying to Protect him in their own way 

He has played 63 games for City and very good footballer 

When you see Farke saying he is not focus etc and then he will post a Bare chested photo the day after 

i think it is Disappointment for the Lad ,

Just concentrate on your football Everything else will follow 

the cars the Bigger money the Women etc ( if that is what he wants )

But at this point in time he needs to focus Playing the best you can Now 

Just be the best player you can be not known for the wrong reasons that may Damage his young career

Immature posts on Instagram, ill-advised pseudo-enigmatic comments, declarations of love for the club...all of these things are nothing but meaningless fripperies which neither enhance nor detract from Todd's ability to represent the club on the pitch. THAT'S why the focus on them, and the linkage with performance, is just plain dopey. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Pugin said:

Honestly, give the guy some breathing space, and don't jump on every slanted item in the media to expound ever-more imaginative speculation of what he may be doing / thinking / planning or not doing / not thinking / not planning.

The magnification of every Todd-related story, tittle-tattle, and social media post is like a feeding frenzy.  

I don't entirely disagree that we can go OTT with criticism.

But he's 22.5 years old and yet is somewhat immature for his age. 

Compare with how the much younger Max Aarons carries himself, and compare with the maturity of Marcus Rashford who is the same age as Cantwell.

The lack of bids (that we are aware of) probably has a lot to do with the way he conducts himself, and not a lack of admirers of his talent.

Perhaps he needs to leave the comfort zone of his home county to become a man, leaving could be the making of him.

One thing he can do immediately his stop admiring James Maddison so much and mirroring the way he acts and 'flexes' on social media, there's a reason why Maddison only has one England cap and that isn't a lack of ability either.

Marcus Rashford Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marcusrashford/?hl=en

James Maddison Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/madders/?hl=en

Notice how Rashford has far too much class to post photos of his expensive cars, or grotesquely expensive items of clothing. Notice how James Maddison is always flexing with his sports cars and £1000 pieces of clothing.

Rashford has 3 winners medals, 39 England Caps, and an MBE. 

James Maddison has 0 winners medals, 1 England Cap.

What path should Cantwell go down, what does he want? To be a positive role model, to win something in football, to use his platform for some good? 

Or to show off his £1000 Burberry outfit at a time when we're facing economic catastrophe. 

He isn't 18, he's not far off 23, he's an adult. I just don't find him very likeable at all, he comes across like a shallow narcissist, there are a lot of footballers that I do find very likeable, simple. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't entirely disagree that we can go OTT with criticism.

But he's 22.5 years old and yet is somewhat immature for his age. 

Compare with how the much younger Max Aarons carries himself, and compare with the maturity of Marcus Rashford who is the same age as Cantwell.

The lack of bids (that we are aware of) probably has a lot to do with the way he conducts himself, and not a lack of admirers of his talent.

Perhaps he needs to leave the comfort zone of his home county to become a man, leaving could be the making of him.

One thing he can do immediately his stop admiring James Maddison so much and mirroring the way he acts and 'flexes' on social media, there's a reason why Maddison only has one England cap and that isn't a lack of ability either.

Marcus Rashford Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marcusrashford/?hl=en

James Maddison Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/madders/?hl=en

Notice how Rashford has far too much class to post photos of his expensive cars, or grotesquely expensive items of clothing. Notice how James Maddison is always flexing with his sports cars and £1000 pieces of clothing.

Rashford has 3 winners medals, 39 England Caps, and an MBE. 

James Maddison has 0 winners medals, 1 England Cap.

What path should Cantwell go down, what does he want? To be a positive role model, to win something in football, to use his platform for some good? 

Or to show off his £1000 Burberry outfit at a time when we're facing economic catastrophe. 

He isn't 18, he's not far off 23, he's an adult. I just don't find him very likeable at all, he comes across like a shallow narcissist, there are a lot of footballers that I do find very likeable, simple. 

Welcome to the shallow, short lived world of an “influencer”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't get why all these fans can even be bothered by a players social media account. I'm not really interested in Todd's social media so I don't tend to look at it. However, his instagram shows he has 154k followers so clearly there's more people who are interested in what he has to say. Maybe the blokes on this forum are a minority?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I wonder if his online followers support him  in the same way financially as fans do through match and season ticket  sales through the club? The problem is that boundaries between being a footballer and his other activities have started to overlap and affecting his “day job”. The boss isn’t happy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...