TeemuVanBasten

if we don't sign a centre back

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

This could go round in circles forever. You carry on.

Look at the League table before posting againĀ 

11 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Look at the League table before posting againĀ 

Do you think I don't know where we are in the league? Stop being ridiculous. We've played four bloody games.Ā 

Ā 

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Do you think I don't know where we are in the league? Stop being ridiculous. We've played four bloody games.Ā 

Ā 

Which have continued on in a similar style to last season.Ā 

7 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Which have continued on in a similar style to last season.Ā 

This is a waste of both our Friday nights. I think we need a bit more time to allow the team to settle, you don't. Let's just leave it at that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Urgh, I commented on another thread that both Farke and Webber can count and there must be a plan to bring in a youth player who they think is ready to step up.

Unfortunately I was wrong, they have counted, they knew there was a problem and havent solved it. That much is clear from Farkes quotes. Im genuinely both surprised and frustrated by this tonight, first time I have really felt something the current management have done that has been completely inexcusable.

Now I'm not saying we wont have a decent season and I hate the doom and gloom, plenty of sides go on a run after 4 games, but this does feel like a completely unforced error.

• Like 1

Iā€™m sure we will be told in due course that they left no stone unturned, this last 24 hours, to bring in cover at centre back.

1) Able to head away opposition set-pieces -Ā not a requirement.

2) Able to put foot through ball - not a requirement.

3) A degree in zonal marking a strong requirement.

4) Able to keep possession of the ball between penalty area and centre circle providing no opposition player within 20 yards.

5) Able to make 5-yard sideways passes.

6) Able to pass back to the keeper ad finitum.

Probably not many centre halves out there fitting the bill.

Ā 

Ā 

Well, Webber proved the same geniuses on here to be incomprehensibly wrong 2 seasons ago. Will he do it again? I do hope so.

So, do we start campaigning for Webber out now...or do we wait for Zimmerman to be out for the season?!

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

So, do we start campaigning for Webber out now...or do we wait for Zimmerman to be out for the season?!

Eh?

On 14/10/2020 at 17:48, corbs said:

Hard to remember a time when we were last solid at the back. Donā€™t think Hanley has let us down but we do need to buy for the centre. At times itā€™s been comical, riches in midfield and make shift centre backs ( a la Godfrey - who did good).Ā 

Godfrey is not a ā€œmakeĀ shiftā€ centre back.

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

Eh?

Well the OP said if we didnt sign a CB he wanted rid of Webber and Farke. I think that then changed to just Webber. I just wondered with Zimmerman not being fit for today whether he wanted us to start getting things ready forĀ  Webber Out campaign now or if we only work this stuff in hindsight?

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well the OP said if we didnt sign a CB he wanted rid of Webber and Farke. I think that then changed to just Webber. I just wondered with Zimmerman not being fit for today whether he wanted us to start getting things ready forĀ  Webber Out campaign now or if we only work this stuff in hindsight?

I still donā€™t get this, we signed two, Sorensen been playing CB for the Danes u21. From all accounts is as good as holding midfielder or CB then thereā€™s Gibson!

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I still donā€™t get this, we signed two, Sorensen been playing CB for the Danes u21. From all accounts is as good as holding midfielder or CB then thereā€™s Gibson!

No, we signed one (Gibson) and a player who may potentially be able to do a job there but isn't his main position.

Look at the announcement when he signed- described exclusively as a midfielder.Ā 

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

No, we signed one (Gibson) and a player who may potentially be able to do a job there but isn't his main position.

Look at the announcement when he signed- described exclusively as a midfielder.Ā 

Iā€™ve seen it King but doesnā€™t hide the fact heā€™s played CB at a good level! Godfrey wasnā€™t a CB initially šŸ˜‰

15 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Maybe we should all wait until January before judging the decision to go with only three centre backs- and that goes for those on both sides of the argument.

Ā 

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Exactly, Sorensen said himself that he's a midfielder and Farke is grooming him as one.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Iā€™ve seen it King but doesnā€™t hide the fact heā€™s played CB at a good level! Godfrey wasnā€™t a CB initially šŸ˜‰

As I said above, Sorensen and Farke don't see him as a centre back. Sorenson gave an interview to Michael Bailey a couple of weeks ago and said that he's initially more of an '8' alongside a more defensive midfielder but will probably be more of a '6' long term in the holding role.Ā 

If he ends up at centre back, it will not be the result of a plan: it will be because of desperation and poor planning by leaving us a centre-back short.

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

A quick glance at the Denmark u21 team suggests he's generally on the bench to be honest- not a regular starter in that position.

Checking out his profile on Transfermarkt suggests he's played central defence once in 2020, in an u21 friendly against Slovakia.

Ā 

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As I said above, Sorensen and Farke don't see him as a centre back. Sorenson gave an interview to Michael Bailey a couple of weeks ago and said that he's initially more of an '8' alongside a more defensive midfielder but will probably be more of a '6' long term in the holding role.Ā 

If he ends up at centre back, it will not be the result of a plan: it will be because of desperation and poor planning by leaving us a centre-back short.

The fact that Sorensen can play centre back if needed is a bonus. If you sign any player it is a good thing to think they can cover other areas as well, so it is a win win situation.Ā  So it is not "desperation".

There is an issue about having enough cbs because we could do with replacing Klose, but nothing to worry about in the short term. From Sorensen's point of view, if he was called upon to be CB for a while, then at least he would be getting some game time, because as things are at the moment, he might not get in the team in his favoured position for quite a while.

22 minutes ago, Indy said:

Well the person who bumped this post (not entirely sure why) was saying just a couple of days ago that Sorenson isn't a centre back and will be below Tettey in the pecking order.Ā 

Sorensen is not a centre back ... Have to hope Hanley and Gibson don't pick up an injury or else we will lose points because of a lack of cover... Bit stupid really.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well the person who bumped this post (not entirely sure why) was saying just a couple of days ago that Sorenson isn't a centre back and will be below Tettey in the pecking order.Ā 

Fair enough, Iā€™m only conveying we have a youngster who can cover the position with three CB here. Do we need another one when all are fit sitting on the bench?

Then is Bushiriā€™s loan till January with a recall option if needed?

Iā€™m not convinced we need another CB, Iā€™m happy to have Tettey & Sorensen to coverĀ on the bench. Just my view.

20 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Maybe we should all wait until January before judging the decision to go with only three centre backs- and that goes for those on both sides of the argument.

You can't win on this forum though.

If you wait until something causes a problem and then people say "we should have" or "if we'd" people throw out the oldĀ "oh that'sĀ OK to say in hindsight".Ā 

What I've done here is the opposite, which is clearly state the desperate need for a centre back before the transfer deadline.

And yet, oddly, people still use the word hindsight:

38 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Ā or if we only work this stuff in hindsight?

Clearly if we end up using Tettey at centre back then its foresight isn't it?Ā 

Really not sure why Hogesar picked this particular battle, his argument was lost the moment Farke told the press publicly that he wanted us to sign a centre back.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Sorensen is not a centre back ... Have to hope Hanley and Gibson don't pick up an injury or else we will lose points because of a lack of cover... Bit stupid really.

Tettey is viewed as the cover. Heā€™s not great, but heā€™s not the worst.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Ā 

The fact that Sorensen can play centre back if needed is a bonus. If you sign any player it is a good thing to think they can cover other areas as well, so it is a win win situation.Ā  So it is not "desperation".

I'm going to disagree. If you sign a player for a position and are then forced into using him in another position which isn't his best one, then it is arguably a 'lose-lose' situation. You're having to put a square peg into a round hole whilst depriving yourself of said player in his main one- a bit like Amadou and Tettey last season when they were in defence and we needed them in midfield.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Fair enough, Iā€™m only conveying we have a youngster who can cover the position with three CB here. Do we need another one when all are fit sitting on the bench?

Then is Bushiriā€™s loan till January with a recall option if needed?

Iā€™m not convinced we need another CB, Iā€™m happy to have Tettey & Sorensen to coverĀ on the bench. Just my view.

If we'd kept one of Famewo or Bushiri at the club then that would also have worked, but we didn't and this thread appeared after we'd loaned out Famewo but before the deadline closed.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

If we'd kept one of Famewo or Bushiri at the club then that would also have worked, but we didn't and this thread appeared after we'd loaned out Famewo but before the deadline closed.

Yes I never understood that, but then if theyā€™re getting game time then itā€™s good for developing rather than sitting on our bench. Thatā€™s why I asked about recall option, if they have this built in then no worries we can recall one of them should we need to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm going to disagree. If you sign a player for a position and are then forced into using him in another position which isn't his best one, then it is arguably a 'lose-lose' situation. You're having to put a square peg into a round hole whilst depriving yourself of said player in his main one- a bit like Amadou and Tettey last season when they were in defence and we needed them in midfield.

I agree on game squad but cover on the bench to have a flexible player comfortable in two positions is OK.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Yes I never understood that, but then if theyā€™re getting game time then itā€™s good for developing rather than sitting on our bench. Thatā€™s why I asked about recall option, if they have this built in then no worries we can recall one of them should we need to.

There are 16 games between now and the point that we can recall a centre back (I know we can recall Famewo).

That's one third of a season.

I mean, if we were to end up with no centre backs at any point then that's long enough to completely wreck the season. We can't recall and add to our squad until 1st January.Ā 

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You can't win on this forum though.

If you wait until something causes a problem and then people say "we should have" or "if we'd" people throw "oh that'sĀ OK to say in hindsight".Ā 

What I've done here is the opposite, which is clearly state the desperate need for a centre back before the transfer deadline.

And yet, oddly, people still use the word hindsight:

Clearly if we end up using Tettey at centre back then its foresight isn't it?Ā 

Really not sure why Hogesar picked this particular battle, his argument was lost the moment Farke told the press publicly that he wanted us to sign a centre back.

I've made this point before.

Say you're not sure about a new signing- 'writing him off before he's kicked a ball.' Say it a year later its hindsight.

Be a bit negative about a performance after a win- 'we've won, why are you being negative?' Make those criticisms when results stop going well- 'well I didn't hear you saying this while we were winning!'

• Thanks 1