TeemuVanBasten

if we don't sign a centre back

57 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

You should know by now that lots of people on here know better than our head coach. 

I certainly don’t, but if you look at a player like Sorensen (who’s not yet even been on the bench) and buy him as/telling everyone he’s a midfielder, it’s odd if his best position is c/b.  And maybe someone should tell the club as players are listed by category and he’s not down as a defender.

Ultimately I don’t really care who plays where so long as it works out, but it just feels rather odd.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Hard to remember a time when we were last solid at the back. Don’t think Hanley has let us down but we do need to buy for the centre. At times it’s been comical, riches in midfield and make shift centre backs ( a la Godfrey - who did good). 

Farke wanted a centre back. 

Zimmermann out injured for Rotherham game, Hanley on just back from three months out injured. 

Webber out, this is utterly ridiculous. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Zimmermann out injured for Rotherham game, Hanley on just back from three months out injured. 

Can we not wait and see how we get on in the next few games of football, or does he have to leave right now? Nobody's denying that this is a pivotal few months for the Farke/Webber era, but if Sorensen/Omobamidele/Mumba turn out to be good then we might be alright.

On paper it does bloody strange not to have signed at least one more versatile defender (if not a CB and an LB), but let's see where we're at in three weeks' time before we rush to judgement.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Can we not wait and see how we get on in the next few games of football, or does he have to leave right now? Nobody's denying that this is a pivotal few months for the Farke/Webber era, but if Sorensen/Omobamidele/Mumba turn out to be good then we might be alright.

On paper it does bloody strange not to have signed at least one more versatile defender (if not a CB and an LB), but let's see where we're at in three weeks' time before we rush to judgement.

Season started weeks ago

• Like 1

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

That's right.

We should have been ready then, not as you suggest, 'see were we are in three weeks time'

32 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The fact that Farke said on a number of occasions that he wanted a centre back and we did not get one due to financial issues ... Utterly ridiculous to make the same mistake again. How much money do we need to generate in premiership money, player sales before we actually invest in the first team? Stronger my ar..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

We should have been ready then, not as you suggest, 'see were we are in three weeks time'

We brought loads of players in early (Gibson, Quintilla, Skipp, Dowell, Placheta, Hugill, Sorensen, Mumba) and only sold two (plus Klose and Trybull out on loan).

As I said in my original post, it does seem a bit odd not bringing in at least one more defender. But Farke obviously has a better idea than we do of who can cover what positions to what standard, so I'm suggesting we wait and see what happens on the pitch before we judge.

But if you want to doom the season to failure now, knock yourself out.

25 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Farke just said he wanted another centre back.

That dismisses any notion that there was some sort of masterplan to unveil our new top class centre back Sorensen/Omobamidele.

27 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

All we had to do to not leave us short of defenders for the next 2.5 months was keep Famewo and McCallum at the club.

We can talk about finances etc all we like, but I strongly suspect the combined wages of both are covered by whatever Basel are contributing towards Klose's wage packet. 

Its negligence, its bizarre, I'm sick of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Farke just said he wanted another centre back.

That dismisses any notion that there was some sort of masterplan to unveil our new top class centre back Sorensen/Omobamidele.

I'm aware of this, which is why I said it was strange we hadn't signed one. I never mentioned any such notion, I'm merely saying that those two may yet end up to prove capable options.

I'm aware of this, which is why I said it was strange we hadn't signed one. I never mentioned any such notion, I'm merely saying that those two may yet end up to prove capable options.

That's fine, but if we get super lucky and one of those does a job in the absence of the centre back Farke wanted us to sign, then that doesn't change my opinion that Webber takes stupid gambles and hasn't learnt simple lessons from last season.

Webber out. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

All we had to do to not leave us short of defenders for the next 2.5 months was keep Famewo and McCallum at the club.

We can talk about finances etc all we like, but I strongly suspect the combined wages of both are covered by whatever Basel are contributing towards Klose's wage packet. 

Its negligence, its bizarre, I'm sick of it.

It's conjecture. As evidenced by use of the term "I strongly suspect", which has no base in fact.

We still have a large squad. Farke knows to what degree his players are capable of covering certain positions. It's less than ideal, and I'm surprised we didn't sign one more defender. Let's wait and see how the season pans out before we start talking about 'negligence'.

Farke knows to what degree his players are capable of covering certain positions. 

Yes, and based on knowing what he knows he wanted another centre back. 

That's fine, but if we get super lucky and one of those does a job in the absence of the centre back Farke wanted us to sign, then that doesn't change my opinion that Webber takes stupid gambles and hasn't learnt simple lessons from last season.

Webber out. 

So you'd like Delia and Michael to fire Webber, then? What about Farke, does he stay? And do we get a new sporting director in, or just let Farke run the whole show? What's your viable alternative?

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yes, and based on knowing what he knows he wanted another centre back. 

Yes, we've established that.

So you'd like Delia and Michael to fire Webber, then?

Well who else would fire him? His wife and mate would have to go too. 

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

What about Farke, does he stay? 

That's a judgement call to be made by the new sporting director isn't it, that's part of their job. 

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

What's your viable alternative?

Possibly wait to see if the Burnley owners and Sean Dyche don't heal their rift, and pinch Mike Rigg if they they don't. Not hard is it, there are other people working DoF / Technical Director / Sporting Director roles throughout the world. 

Well who else would fire him? His wife and mate would have to go too. 

That's a judgement call to be made by the new sporting director isn't it, that's part of their job. 

Possibly wait to see if the Burnley owners and Sean Dyche don't heal their rift, and pinch Mike Rigg if they they don't. Not hard is it, there are other people working DoF / Technical Director / Sporting Director roles throughout the world. 

Rigg has a great CV, not sure if he'd swap a relatively poor Burnley for an even poorer Norwich, though.

We have 42 games left to play, it's way too early to roll the dice.

This is total incompetence by the club and rather indicates the level of ambition for this season.

To end up with two ‘half-crocks’ and a player who has barely played the last year or so, beggars belief.

The defence has been Norwich’s achilles heal under Farke and it doesn’t look like improving anytime soon. It won’t be long before Tettey will be back in defence......until he gets injured..... Who then?

Hernandez joining Byram and Dowell on the lengthy sidelines?? When is this cycle going to end?

• Like 1

I can’t see how any genuinely clued up Norwich City fan can defend the club’s current defensive situation.

The Championship has games taking place with barely time to take breath. There should be at the very least four centre-backs and an up and coming youngster that could possibly fill the position at a push.

We have become such an easy team for opposing managers to plan against. A weak centre will just make things even easier.

57 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

We brought loads of players in early (Gibson, Quintilla, Skipp, Dowell, Placheta, Hugill, Sorensen, Mumba) and only sold two (plus Klose and Trybull out on loan).

As I said in my original post, it does seem a bit odd not bringing in at least one more defender. But Farke obviously has a better idea than we do of who can cover what positions to what standard, so I'm suggesting we wait and see what happens on the pitch before we judge.

But if you want to doom the season to failure now, knock yourself out.

Farke has said today that we are short of defenders. 

We know from experience that our defensive situation has been shambolic for past couple of years. 

We're four games into the new season where Farke has employed exactly the same tactics as have failed the team previously. 

How does give it three games help? 

Just now, Number9 said:

Farke has said today that we are short of defenders. 

We know from experience that our defensive situation has been shambolic for past couple of years. 

We're four games into the new season where Farke has employed exactly the same tactics as have failed the team previously. 

How does give it three games help? 

The same tactics that won this division last time we were in it.

Now the transfer window is closed and we have a settled squad until January, seeing how the squad performs is the only option available to us.

We could be brilliant, we could be appalling, we could be anywhere in between. Four games into a season is no time to be judging the efficacy of a squad of players.

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

The same tactics that won this division last time we were in it.

Now the transfer window is closed and we have a settled squad until January, seeing how the squad performs is the only option available to us.

We could be brilliant, we could be appalling, we could be anywhere in between. Four games into a season is no time to be judging the efficacy of a squad of players.

We have a weaker first team now, the tactics have not moved on and adapted to keep up with the opposition, and we retain the weaknesses in defence. 

We're not going to be gaining promotion this season. You may measure success as having lots of possession or lots of passes, in which case you may well be happy, but time has moved on, Farkes tactics will not win anything now, and his intransigence makes him a bad manager. 

He doesn't change until it's too late.

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

We have a weaker first team now, the tactics have not moved on and adapted to keep up with the opposition, and we retain the weaknesses in defence. 

We're not going to be gaining promotion this season. You may measure success as having lots of possession or lots of passes, in which case you may well be happy, but time has moved on, Farkes tactics will not win anything now, and his intransigence makes him a bad manager. 

He doesn't change until it's too late.

These are your opinions and you're welcome to them.

I'd probably agree that our first team looks slightly weaker than two years ago, although this time two years ago we'd just drawn against a useless Ipswich side and were in the bottom six and everyone was saying our squad was rubbish. Get some results going, and the squad looks better again.

I measure success primarily in terms of points gained and league position, like anyone else. That's why I'm saying let's see where we are in the league after a few more games have been played. Then we'll all have a better idea of how likely we are to finish in the top six this season.

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

These are your opinions and you're welcome to them.

I'd probably agree that our first team looks slightly weaker than two years ago, although this time two years ago we'd just drawn against a useless Ipswich side and were in the bottom six and everyone was saying our squad was rubbish. Get some results going, and the squad looks better again.

I measure success primarily in terms of points gained and league position, like anyone else. That's why I'm saying let's see where we are in the league after a few more games have been played. Then we'll all have a better idea of how likely we are to finish in the top six this season.

Surely our team looks weaker than at the start of the transfer window?

Points gained & League position? Over the past year or were you looking at what we've achieved so far this season?

Four more games before you consider it will be almost a quarter of the season gone, if you expect different results from using the same tactics as last season, you're kidding yourself. 

Teams know how to deal with it now, we haven't moved on and adapted. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Surely our team looks weaker than at the start of the transfer window?

Points gained & League position? Over the past year or were you looking at what we've achieved so far this season?

Four more games before you consider it will be almost a quarter of the season gone, if you expect different results from using the same tactics as last season, you're kidding yourself. 

Teams know how to deal with it now, we haven't moved on and adapted. 

This could go round in circles forever. You carry on.