Rock The Boat

Shake up of Premier league

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Why does everyone here want us to be in the Prem again? I mean, I understand the appeal of being a part of the biggest leuge and the money and all

But slowly over time the Prem is proving itself to nothing more than a corrupt, elitest snobbery fest who dont give a toss about any team other than the top three

I don't like the Premier League and was quite happy when we got relegated 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I don't like the Premier League and was quite happy when we got relegated 

I wasn't. 

I don't  particularly like the PL and the monopoly established there, but I'd rather we try and improve in that league than float around the championship for ever.

To change it we need to be in it.

As I have been saying for years, eventually it will become a closed league. I am just surprised that they have soft soaped it this time.

1 minute ago, East Rider said:

I wasn't. 

I don't  particularly like the PL and the monopoly established there, but I'd rather we try and improve in that league than float around the championship for ever.

To change it we need to be in it.

Sadly, all this proposal proves, along with our honesty as a club last season, is that the Premier League is all about money.

How can they justify £250million to the EFL? Firstly as others have pointed out, when this is simply the parachute payments they would abolish, and secondly, when the FA is given £100million as a "sweetener". So the 72 teams not in the Premier League would share basically twice as much as the FA get?

And who are the biggest beneficiaries of this? Not the EFL. It's disgusting. I'm with those who suggest the so called big 6, at least three of which have been struggling to finish top 6 in recent years, should sod off and play football with their Gucci and Rolex's elsewhere.

The premier league should be locked at 20 teams and that's it. No less. Otherwise it's just a farce. Who is going to compensate the two teams that are to be relegated from the EFL altogether? Are the National Leagues suddenly going to have to relegated more teams and expand their leagues as well?

The League Cup I get, I don't agree with but I get to an extent. The Shield I get although I think is disgusting as I thought is meant to be a charity event?

This is ALL about the top six. Moan about too many games, no winter break. Most of the top leagues in Europe have 20 teams minimum and a winter break. Too many games for the premier league but other leagues will have to have 6 more teams in them. So 12 more games. Plus entry into the FA Cup at an earlier stage.

It's an utter joke. Football ravaged by corruption and capitalist led greed.

53 minutes ago, Indy said:

It makes it even harder to get promoted with a playoff including relegated teams, I would rather that four teams get automatically relegated and top four go up, making the spread of wealth over the bottom clubs better! That would give a bigger fund to teams who are classed as yo yo clubs!

its not in the big clubs interest so will never happen.

1 minute ago, chicken said:

It's an utter joke. Football ravaged by corruption and capitalist led greed.

Utterly predictable. The entire nation needs a reset of priorities in that regard though. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ricardo said:

As I have been saying for years, eventually it will become a closed league. I am just surprised that they have soft soaped it this time.

Indeed, you have been predicting it for years and it still hasn't happened. And if anything these proposals, if implemented, would make it unnecessary to have a closed league because they are clearly aimed at helping to guarantee permanent places in the Premier League for the top clubs without having to resort to ending relegation.

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

Indeed, you have been predicting it for years and it still hasn't happened. And if anything these proposals, if implemented, would make it unnecessary to have a closed league because they are clearly aimed at helping to guarantee permanent places in the Premier League for the top clubs without having to resort to ending relegation.

They will get there eventually.

This is pretty classic negotiation stuff. I did suggest on here several months ago that Rick Parry would be very bad news for the EFL, and this is the first shot across the bows, so to speak. The outrage will eventually die down enough for slightly reduced proposals to be accepted. Putting the decisions in the hands of the 9 longest serving teams, for instance, will disappear because it makes no sense to include Southampton and West Ham and exclude Leicester or Wolves who are comfortable bigger and better teams at the moment.

In general, the re-sizing of the leagues makes complete sense but all that will happen if they loan £250m (not a gift, a loan on future TV income) is that the players wages will go up. We have seen over and over again that more money in the game goes straight to the players and their agents so it is completely pointless trying to suggest we can get to any sort of level playing field. The fact is there are too many clubs.

I actually think that PL teams fielding a B team in League 1 or Two is a good idea and it would create massive interest. The Championship would effectively become PL2, which is what the FA and EFL really want to happen anyway.

Evolution is inevitable, and "qualifying" for the top league in terms of ground capacity, facilities etc happens all the way through the football pyramid - this is really just a version of it. 

As others have noted, a shameful power grab by the big six. It will be a dark day for football if this (or something similar) goes through. Pure arrogance and greed.

A couple of things to add:

- Rick Parry can do one. As head of the EFL, he should be standing up for the clubs that he represents, not working wonders for Liverpool, his former employers.

- Villa and Newcastle have been in more Premier League seasons than Man City. Be consistent, I dare you.

- If you take away the League cup and the Community shield, we'll only be left with two domestic trophies (PL and FA cup).

Fat Pigs with their noses in the trough. For medium sized clubs like us it would be even harder to get up let alone stay up. I would love nothing more in these difficult times for the Government to put a sizable windfall tax on the PL for the benefit and survival of all the football league and below

These “big clubs” aren’t even football clubs anymore. They are just big franchises. It’s McDonalds and KFC.

This moment should be seized to take football from the big clubs, let them clear off and have their “league” and create an alternative version of the sport. 

Football 2

• Thanks 1

The absolute wildest idea in this whole thing is the top 6 being able to veto a takeover. How is that remotely acceptable?

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

These “big clubs” aren’t even football clubs anymore. They are just big franchises. It’s McDonalds and KFC.

This moment should be seized to take football from the big clubs, let them clear off and have their “league” and create an alternative version of the sport. 

Football 2

Totally agree. Let them **** off, build something better and more equitable out of the ashes.

• Like 1

The sooner the "big six" **** off to Europe the better.  They'll see quick enough, especially in Pandemic times which I'm sure will occur more regularly in future, that the grass is never greener.  This would create a sterile competition for sterile minds.  

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

The absolute wildest idea in this whole thing is the top 6 being able to veto a takeover. How is that remotely acceptable?

It is not. If I were of a Machiavellian frame of mind I would wonder if it is the 'absurd proposal' - the one included so by making a big show of dropping it you look like you are compromising and so get approval for the rest of the package.

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

The sooner the "big six" **** off to Europe the better.  They'll see quick enough, especially in Pandemic times which I'm sure will occur more regularly in future, that the grass is never greener.  This would create a sterile competition for sterile minds.  

And that is what I can see happening, as opposed to making the EPL or whatever it might be called a closed league, which I don't think will happen. As said, if these proposals get through the top six are all but guaranteeing a permanent place in the EPL. They don't need to actually make it a closed shop.

• Like 1

I hope whoever pushes this through makes enough money for them in the short term. For me this will kill any interest I have in watching the Premierleague - I wonder how many supporters pay for sky and watch that league with the hope that one day it might be their own team they see competing there - shut the door to that and why should I be any more interested in that than the German or Spanish league?

I've had season tickets at French and German teams who's squads would be considered inferior to Norwich albeit it consistently in the top tiers and the prices, atmosphere and whole match day experience has been fantastic. let them go. Let's just make sure Norwich have our ducks in a row and we can come through it OK. Maybe if this short term greed leads to them destroying themselves it's not the worst thing for the rest of us.

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is not. If I were of a Machiavellian frame of mind I would wonder if it is the 'absurd proposal' - the one included so by making a big show of dropping it you look like you are compromising and so get approval for the rest of the package.

A classic yet still effective pre-negotiation tactic! You may well be on to something there Purple!

They are looking to pitch clubs like Norwich or other “bigger” teams with a bit of cash vs league 2 or lower teams who will literally go out of. Haines if they can’t get people in buying pies and pints 

it’s sick. 

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just to add not an expert on this but I imagine the idea of the top clubs being able to blackball takeover bids of other clubs might well be challengeable in the courts. Possibly on the basis that it is anti-competitive.

Isn't this like broadly the footballing equivalent of what China is doing across the globe? A power grab dressed up as a much needed cash injection up front and lots of nice promises/token benefits that will  ultimately lead to the top 6 owning us and eventually costing us everything. 

Thanks but no thanks.

3 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Football 2

I would love this: let the international TV franchises play in some sort of World League and let the the rest of the clubs play proper competitive football, where clubs don't have to routinely risk bankruptcy in the quest for PL "gold."

We would have a proper domestic league for English clubs and leave the International TV franchises to it.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

I would love this: let the international TV franchises play in some sort of World League and let the the rest of the clubs play proper competitive football, where clubs don't have to routinely risk bankruptcy in the quest for PL "gold."

We would have a proper domestic league for English clubs and leave the International TV franchises to it.

It’d be awesome and I believe it’s inevitable 

My initial, knee-jerk reaction to that is it makes our current focus on the "root not the fruit" look even more wise. If parachute payments go it makes sense to get a jump start on other clubs by spending ours on young talent for the future.

What does the PL handing 25% of its income to the EFL actually mean? If true - I am not sure that it is - it would be more significant than simply recycling parachute monies which in principle needs to be spread more evenly amongst EFL clubs. 

Investment in grass roots football should also be a requirement.

How about some European football for small towns and cities, a little like the original Fairs Cup. If we could get that I would happily leave the Premier League on the shelf. In time it could be come a more attractive product than the predictable Premier League and Champions League. In the interim we might see some salaries for our players that come back closer to planet earth.

1 hour ago, Mr.Carrow said:

My initial, knee-jerk reaction to that is it makes our current focus on the "root not the fruit" look even more wise. If parachute payments go it makes sense to get a jump start on other clubs by spending ours on young talent for the future.

Certainly if combined with a really rigorously enforced version of FFP.

• Like 1

The real problem is “ agents fees”, around 20% of a sale I believe.

Legislation is required to kerb this abomination and set at say 5 %, and then any transaction is subject to a Sale Tax of 15% the funds of which support football at grass roots level.

• Like 1