Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Could Todd be staying?

35 minutes ago, hogesar said:

As that's the reason Farke gave for picking Buendia instead of Cantwell last week, nothing to do with focus.

So why wasn't he even named as a sub then ?

41 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Well as you have completely ignored everything else Farke has ever said about Todd, I think it’s fair to say you have completely chosen exactly what you’ve wanted to hear to drive your narrative. Here’s just one example from the horses mouth as recent as July completely disproving your idea that Farke doesn’t rate him.

“For a modern player you have to be flexible,” he said. “We are pleased with his development. He is a key player for us in the offence.’’

“For Todd, it is not that important how you label his position. The most important thing is he is in a team where he can bring his strengths and influence the team a lot.”

...well as recently as 2 weeks ago after a defeat vs Bournemouth, tongue loosened after a defeat,when questioned as to why Cantwell didnt play, Farke chose to question the player's output in terms of goals and assists in the second half of last season, querying whether he was a good enough player to think he could coast through training sessions?

....or do we just pretend he didnt say that or that he didnt really mean it?

...I too could suggest that you've chosen to ignore this...from only 2 weeks ago ,to suit your narrative

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

So why wasn't he even named as a sub then ?

Probably because from a management point of view he felt he needed Buendia as he (rightly) predicted Derby would pack 11 men behind the ball and leave no space in between the lines (which I can understand not suiting Cantwell as well) - but equally from a man-management point of view also felt he had to still make a point and ensure that Todd & Emi don't think that one week of training well solves everything - and that is pretty much what Farke said afterwards so unless he's lying i'd go with it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Sorry Lakey just not really following this. Did Wilbraham actually improve for us really? My memories are of a decent team player who worked hard, and won a lot of respect of the fans for that, but rarely showed any quality or anything more.

On the topic of improvement - Cantwell was definitely our most improved player last season. I barely expected him to contribute and thought a loan out would be likely, but he turned it on from game 1 versus Liverpool and never looked back for the entire campaign.

In the space of a pre-season break, he went from fringe player who had merely shown some glimpses in the prior season to an absolute mainstay in the side. All while going from a league we completely dominated to a league we were dominated by everyone else...

I would go as far as saying that it is head and shoulders the most I have ever seen a player improve over a pre-season, it was a huge transformation.

How much 'attitude and desire to improve' do you think that took?  

I agree with a lot of that, although my opinion about Wilbraham is that he did improve, culminating in several very good performances for us and a goal or two in the PL. 

As for Cantwell's desire to improve etc, I can't query that at all the last two seasons, but it hasn't been a smooth rise, he has had periods when he looked innefective in both the last seasons....but it doesn't matter what he did last season or the season before, it's how he kicks on from the here and now.  He hasn't "made it", he's not the first name on the teamsheet, he's not indispensable, he is still learning his trade. That might be hard to think of when you hear big clubs might want you, or your agent is building you up too much and touting you around, but he is just another player in a big squad.  Potentially he could make or break our season if he stays - but he'll have to get his bit between the teeth and make it happen and he won't do that if his head isn't in the right place.  

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Probably because from a management point of view he felt he needed Buendia as he (rightly) predicted Derby would pack 11 men behind the ball and leave no space in between the lines (which I can understand not suiting Cantwell as well) - but equally from a man-management point of view also felt he had to still make a point and ensure that Todd & Emi don't think that one week of training well solves everything - and that is pretty much what Farke said afterwards so unless he's lying i'd go with it.

I must have missed your tenure as Norwich City head coach but that is just your spin on it to suit the stance you have taken. To say that a fit Cantwell which i assume he was could not make the bench against Derby as Farke had still got him on the naughty step is a bit of a stretch.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I must have missed your tenure as Norwich City head coach but that is just your spin on it to suit the stance you have taken. To say that a fit Cantwell which i assume he was could not make the bench against Derby as Farke had still got him on the naughty step is a bit of a stretch.

No, it's called interpreting the words that have been said.

You should try it some time.

Or you could tell everyone yet again about how you "don't suffer fools gladly" like it's some badge of honour. 👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I agree with a lot of that, although my opinion about Wilbraham is that he did improve, culminating in several very good performances for us and a goal or two in the PL. 

As for Cantwell's desire to improve etc, I can't query that at all the last two seasons, but it hasn't been a smooth rise, he has had periods when he looked innefective in both the last seasons....but it doesn't matter what he did last season or the season before, it's how he kicks on from the here and now.  He hasn't "made it", he's not the first name on the teamsheet, he's not indispensable, he is still learning his trade. That might be hard to think of when you hear big clubs might want you, or your agent is building you up too much and touting you around, but he is just another player in a big squad.  Potentially he could make or break our season if he stays - but he'll have to get his bit between the teeth and make it happen and he won't do that if his head isn't in the right place.  

This is just beyond ridiculous. There were and have been far many periods where Wilbraham was ineffective, yet...

Actually, no. No way is this worth it.

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No, it's called interpreting the words that have been said.

You should try it some time.

Or you could tell everyone yet again about how you "don't suffer fools gladly" like it's some badge of honour. 👍

You mean like interpreting the words you posted, well i did and that is why you got the response you did and as for your last sentence you have reached that ceiling which will come as no surprise to you i am sure.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

This is just beyond ridiculous. There were and have been far many periods where Wilbraham was ineffective, yet...

Actually, no. No way is this worth it.

You have contradicted yourself several times now in your eagerness to dis stuff I have written and then cherry picked a quote at random to try and justify your position.  Play the posts not the poster and you might keep a better track of things.

Just now, lake district canary said:

You have contradicted yourself several times now in your eagerness to dis stuff I have written and then cherry picked a quote at random to try and justify your position.  Play the posts not the poster and you might keep a better track of things.

You accusing me of contradicting myself, even just taking the posts on this thread and ignoring everything else you've posted (thus playing the post, not the poster) is in itself not worth discussing further. 

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You mean like interpreting the words you posted, well i did and that is why you got the response you did and as for your last sentence you have reached that ceiling which will come as no surprise to you i am sure.

Nope. What happened, as per, is you questioned me and despite our past I gave you my thoughts on the subject with an explanation perfectly politely to which you immediately responded with sarcasm. 

Just now, hogesar said:

You accusing me of contradicting myself, even just taking the posts on this thread and ignoring everything else you've posted (thus playing the post, not the poster) is in itself not worth discussing further. 

Fine, I'll get off your back then, as you plainly are more interested in dissing people than actually trying to discuss things rationally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Fine, I'll get off your back then, as you plainly are more interested in dissing people than actually trying to discuss things rationally.

I tried Lakey, look earlier in the thread. I wasn't being ageist, I was trying to make a very valid point that I believed most of the stick Cantwell was getting was generally from fans of a certain age. Not all, just generally. And I said at the time, I was going by the people posting on here and those who we know are in a certain age bracket.

But as soon as I started on that you took offence to it, even though it wasn't offensive, and we've never got back on track. I still believe that most fans < 30 are far more accepting of Cantwells social media style. It's not for me personally but I know that what he is posting is nothing our of the norm of lots of very successful young footballers as well as young people in general. It's the environment they've grown up in.

• Like 1

I don't think I fancy us getting this player. A few Norwich fans have mixed feelings about him and on transfermarkt he's rated at £18m.. 

At least when we were your feeder club you took genuine quality. 

3 minutes ago, Rob Whites said:

I don't think I fancy us getting this player. A few Norwich fans have mixed feelings about him and on transfermarkt he's rated at £18m.. 

What about Becchio?

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I tried Lakey, look earlier in the thread. I wasn't being ageist, I was trying to make a very valid point that I believed most of the stick Cantwell was getting was generally from fans of a certain age. Not all, just generally. And I said at the time, I was going by the people posting on here and those who we know are in a certain age bracket.

But as soon as I started on that you took offence to it, even though it wasn't offensive, and we've never got back on track. I still believe that most fans < 30 are far more accepting of Cantwells social media style. It's not for me personally but I know that what he is posting is nothing our of the norm of lots of very successful young footballers as well as young people in general. It's the environment they've grown up in.

This, basically.

I honestly think if Cantwell had shorter hair and a bit of a beard he'd get much less criticism. I think some people see him as being a bit 'girly' and it all stems from there.

Personally, I don't follow any of our players on social media- I have very little in common with these 25 year old millionaires and I don't believe they have much of interest to say. However I also don't care what he posts provided he does it on the pitch, which he has done for the last 18 months generally.

I wonder if these people who are so exercised by Cantwell apparently losing focus were similarly apoplectic when Hoolahan downed tools and called us a **** club under Hughton? Or when Grant Holt handed in multiple transfer requests in order to get a better contract? I doubt it.

• Like 2

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

What about Becchio?

Ok maybe Becchio. He scored a few in the championship but lacked pace for the prem

8 minutes ago, Rob Whites said:

Cantwell is quality- don't get hung up on a bunch of weirdo's obsessing about whether he should have a shirt on in his latest IG post.

I hope we keep him but it feels unlikely right about now.

• Like 1

It's the oldies moaning based on his look. 

I base it on his arrogance and massive underperformance for the past 9 months. 

Get rid. 

I think some of you really need to close your browser and stop scoring pathetic points against each other on a football messageboard.

34 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

It's the oldies moaning based on his look. 

I base it on his arrogance and massive underperformance for the past 9 months. 

Get rid. 

If we're bombing people out for poor performances in the last 9 months we'd barely have anyone left.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

If we're bombing people out for poor performances in the last 9 months we'd barely have anyone left.

Ironically for me it would probably only be Krul and Cantwell we did have left!

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I still believe that most fans < 30 are far more accepting of Cantwells social media style. It's not for me personally but I know that what he is posting is nothing our of the norm of lots of very successful young footballers as well as young people in general. It's the environment they've grown up in.

Agree with this, but young people need to know that this is not a healthy thing to do. I have neices in their teens and they are literally glued to their phones when out and about and welded to their ipads when in....24/7. They are literally living in a virtual world. Instead of seeing the world around them, they are seeing the world through a screen. When they go away they have no concept of where they are in relation to anywhere else, they have no sense of awareness about other stuff than what they see online. It's living zombeism in action. You try and persuade them to put their phones away and they just can't - and their parents have tried. If they happen to be in a place where there is no signal it is hilarious - they are simply lost and have glazed looks on their faces, not knowing how to cope. That may sound extreme, but it is pretty much how it is.

It ain't healthy and it's fine for the likes of rich and famous to flaunt themselves around on social media, but it only perpetuates the whole thing, giving it a glamour and kudos which it doesn't deserve.  Its amazing what technology has done for people and communication, but there is not enough counter balance to it. Before long, people will be growing up with zero awareness of reality - or have their own version of life which is totally unconnected with actual reality. The same was said about TV years ago and it was true then and it is now - technology and communications can be a great thing for society - but it has to be used in a balanced way.  Unfortunately, there are few restraints on it with instant access to practically anything we want and being so easy, this is palpably unhealthy. People that run sites are exploiting the young beyond what is healthy by leading them to addictions of gambling, games, **** etc.

So if older people sound a bit old fashioned it is because they can remember times when you didn't rely on technology 24/7 and had to engage more of themselves than just a finger pressing on a little screen. It's addictive and that is the shame of it - it plays on the weaknesses of people.  It's ok for people that can deal with it and still have balanced lives, but so many people can't.

There are plenty of ways footballers can relate to people through interviews, charity work etc without resorting to online, access to all, platforms. There is an awful lot of good on the internet and in social media, unfortunately it is ruined by the bad - and young people are especially at risk. Footballers, for their own good, ought to lay off social media for their own good - and for the good of people who get hooked on it - and so avoid the pitfalls that can come from it. 

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...well as recently as 2 weeks ago after a defeat vs Bournemouth, tongue loosened after a defeat,when questioned as to why Cantwell didnt play, Farke chose to question the player's output in terms of goals and assists in the second half of last season, querying whether he was a good enough player to think he could coast through training sessions?

....or do we just pretend he didnt say that or that he didnt really mean it?

...I too could suggest that you've chosen to ignore this...from only 2 weeks ago ,to suit your narrative

It’s fine, GJL - I provided proof that Daniel Farke called Todd Cantwell a ‘key player’. That’s good enough for me. But don’t let truth and the facts get in the way of your bizarre in denial insistence that Farke doesn’t rate him. Though of course, I’d be very happy for you to give me a mythical quote where Farke says he doesn’t rate him or see him as important to the team. But something tells me I won’t be seeing this any time soon, as this only exists in your head I’m sorry to say.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Disappointing bit of click bait that from Archant. Story actually says nothing like the headline suggests.

Yeah, it does make you wonder what the purpose of Orta letting slip Todd’s name in that was for? To further unsettle him in the remaining days just as he looks like he’s becoming settled here again? I think they do want him myself but are playing a bit of a game, I think they feel they can get him at a knockdown price if they play their cards right, though I think Webber and Farke are very wise to this unfortunately for them. 

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Agree with this, but young people need to know that this is not a healthy thing to do. I have neices in their teens and they are literally glued to their phones when out and about and welded to their ipads when in....24/7. They are literally living in a virtual world. Instead of seeing the world around them, they are seeing the world through a screen. When they go away they have no concept of where they are in relation to anywhere else, they have no sense of awareness about other stuff than what they see online. It's living zombeism in action. You try and persuade them to put their phones away and they just can't - and their parents have tried. If they happen to be in a place where there is no signal it is hilarious - they are simply lost and have glazed looks on their faces, not knowing how to cope. That may sound extreme, but it is pretty much how it is.

It ain't healthy and it's fine for the likes of rich and famous to flaunt themselves around on social media, but it only perpetuates the whole thing, giving it a glamour and kudos which it doesn't deserve.  Its amazing what technology has done for people and communication, but there is not enough counter balance to it. Before long, people will be growing up with zero awareness of reality - or have their own version of life which is totally unconnected with actual reality. The same was said about TV years ago and it was true then and it is now - technology and communications can be a great thing for society - but it has to be used in a balanced way.  Unfortunately, there are few restraints on it with instant access to practically anything we want and being so easy, this is palpably unhealthy. People that run sites are exploiting the young beyond what is healthy by leading them to addictions of gambling, games, **** etc.

So if older people sound a bit old fashioned it is because they can remember times when you didn't rely on technology 24/7 and had to engage more of themselves than just a finger pressing on a little screen. It's addictive and that is the shame of it - it plays on the weaknesses of people.  It's ok for people that can deal with it and still have balanced lives, but so many people can't.

There are plenty of ways footballers can relate to people through interviews, charity work etc without resorting to online, access to all, platforms. There is an awful lot of good on the internet and in social media, unfortunately it is ruined by the bad - and young people are especially at risk. Footballers, for their own good, ought to lay off social media for their own good - and for the good of people who get hooked on it - and so avoid the pitfalls that can come from it. 

Ldc's nieces, I bet they love you uncle 

Look at you lot, arguing amongst yourselves, be kind to each other and be kind to Todd. Please just cut the Norfolk lad that has come through the ranks to play for Norwich City in the top league in England a bit of slack. He lost a bit of focus, he is only human, no great crime has been committed.................

• Like 2