Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Could Todd be staying?

2 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

I'm not having a go at Cantwell

You're probably on the wrong thread then then.

No, probably the wrong forum. Unfortunately.

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Haha 2

If a PL club matches our current valuation then he is off, if not he stays. If the latter is the case  will he play on a regular basis, do people think he will be in Farkes starting line up if he has a full midfield to pick from ? IMO opinion Farke will only play 2  at most out of Buendia,Cantwell, Hernandez and Platecha at the same time. He may also choose to try Hugill and Pukki together which may mean only 1 of that list of 4 starts. There are varying opinions on here but for me he would be no 3 on that list with Buendia and Platecha above him. The nightmare scenario is he stays, does not play as often as he would like he gets very disenchanted at the same time that his transfer value could wane

Edited by Yorkshire Canary

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

If a PL club matches our current valuation then he is off, if not he stays. If the latter is the case  will he play on a regular basis, do people think he will be in Farkes starting line up if he has a full midfield to pick from ? IMO opinion Farke will only play 2  at most out of Buendia,Cantwell, Hernandez and Platecha at the same time. He may also choose to try Hugill and Pukki together which may mean only 1 of that list of 4 starts. There are varying opinions on here but for me he would be no 3 on that list with Buendia and Platecha above him. The nightmare scenario is he stays, does not play as often as he would like he gets very disenchanted at the same time that his transfer value could wane

...I think it might be 'slightly' dependant upon who we're playing...although in this league we should be taking the game to the opposition more often than not, especially if teams are going to come to Carrow Rd and set themselves up like Derby did.

The Dowell injury is a blow as I believe he would have been our most natural no.10 and first choice

I think Farke would/should go with

Buendia   Cantwell   Hernandez

Pukki

If all are on board and their heads are in it...

It's good for the club if he's staying. His instagram maybe a first step at "building bridges" and once the window closes, it' up to him to put the effort in in training and get himself selected again. If you want to put yourself in the shop window, do it for the right reasons, and on the pitch. 

Time will tell

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Todd Cantwell is 22 years old, 23 in fact during this current season so is hardly in the midst of immature teenage years and is a man not a boy. His social media persona on his instagram account portrays him as a Billy Big Bollox with the oh look at me everybody which is disappointing to see. Whether he is like that in real life i have no idea but you leave yourself open to be judged by millions of people in today's world via social media which is quite frankly sad to see.

Did you see  Lewis or Godfrey conduct themselves like that on social media, no you did not and that is why they command 100% of our respect and left with our good wishes.

Focus or whatever you want to call it Cantwell has some life lessons to learn and he should learn them from Farke or his nearest and dearest and pay no regard to distractions which have been clearly placed in his path as this attitude from some that this is how young people behave these days does not cut the mustard with me.

Well put. 👍

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well put. 👍

Agreed, but are we going to give him a chance to learn those lessons or just villify him for making the mistakes? It was a short 18 months or so ago that most on here were killing him with criticism for not being Buendia. Suddenly, after half a decent season, he's worth £18m or so and now we are killing him for not being Lewis or Godfrey or Aarons.

If he's good enough in training to be selected he should get our support. I've never seen anything other than 100% from him on the pitch. He can be a frustrating player because he is so close to being really, really good but that's because he's still developing. I also don't see him and Buendia being able to thrive in the same team, but he's a great option to have in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....od course 'strops'  must happen at clubs all the time.....which leads me to think that this is something over and above that for Farke to a) come out so publically to explain the situation  ...and b) not select one of his better players knowing theres a chance (which is exactly what did happen in both games) that it could directly impact the result of the games.

I don't believe Farke would cut his nose off to spite his face to that extent

Farke's speciality is cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Look at how we continued to play last season plummeting towards relegation, trying harder and harder at Plan A. 

Look, if he knuckles down nobody will care. He’s a good footballer just needs to focus himself if he wants to be a great. He’s in the unique situation that he can crack on and not get stick from fans in the stands so just crack on. What have you got to offer us Todd?

...you asked why he didnt play...or was even in the 18 vs Derby....Farke said he still hadn't done enough to...

No, have read the article again and at no point does Farke say 'he still hadn't done enough' or words to that effect.    

Ask yourself why he isnt playing?

Shrouded in mystery?....I thought Farke was as candid as I've heard as manager when explaining their absence after the Bournemouth game

Why isn't Cantwell playing?    Well, against Bournemouth according to Farke (happy to trust what he says) it was because Cantwell and Buendia had been distracted, lost focus.     Against Derby, (based on the account you highlighted and the fact that neither the club or Cantwell have been specific about anything) I have no idea and expect it was the decision of Farke not to select him.    Doesn't mean Cantwell didn't step up in training, Farke may have just decided that it would probably be best in the long run for Todd to do some reflecting and come back stronger.     If so, it might work and we may find Cantwell comes back determined more than ever.   

Personally, he would have been in in my side with one leg ahead of Stiepermann who was selected.    Of course, the above are just my theories but there is no way I am going to slate one of our players based on what I may think or based on an uninformed negative poster.   

There you go, I have answered your question.    Can you answer mine from earlier...... 'Why wasn't Cantwell playing against Derby?    The facts, not the baseless assumption'.   If you are using that article as your answer, what reason do you have to be so critical and negative about Cantwell?      There just doesn't seem any evidence.       Support your team!   

28 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

No, have read the article again and at no point does Farke say 'he still hadn't done enough' or words to that effect.    

Why isn't Cantwell playing?    Well, against Bournemouth according to Farke (happy to trust what he says) it was because Cantwell and Buendia had been distracted, lost focus.     Against Derby, (based on the account you highlighted and the fact that neither the club or Cantwell have been specific about anything) I have no idea and expect it was the decision of Farke not to select him.    Doesn't mean Cantwell didn't step up in training, Farke may have just decided that it would probably be best in the long run for Todd to do some reflecting and come back stronger.     If so, it might work and we may find Cantwell comes back determined more than ever.   

Personally, he would have been in in my side with one leg ahead of Stiepermann who was selected.    Of course, the above are just my theories but there is no way I am going to slate one of our players based on what I may think or based on an uninformed negative poster.   

There you go, I have answered your question.    Can you answer mine from earlier...... 'Why wasn't Cantwell playing against Derby?    The facts, not the baseless assumption'.   If you are using that article as your answer, what reason do you have to be so critical and negative about Cantwell?      There just doesn't seem any evidence.       Support your team!   

Didnt think I would have needed to do this but ...

“You don’t just have one or two good training sessions and you press a button and in you come. It needs to happen over the longer term. Todd is full of quality. If he is focused, concentrated on his job he has all jobs to impress again. It is hard work on this level.

“I am hopeful he will show this over the next few weeks and that he will be involved in the coming weeks.

Is that screaming a player who is begging 'pick me pick me' !?!....or at very least be in a matchday squad?

I'll 'support my team' , thankyou ...as I've done for 40 yrs....for players who are fully committed to playing for our club and make themselves selectable through their attitude and professionalism

27 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Didnt think I would have needed to do this but ...

“You don’t just have one or two good training sessions and you press a button and in you come. It needs to happen over the longer term. Todd is full of quality. If he is focused, concentrated on his job he has all jobs to impress again. It is hard work on this level.

“I am hopeful he will show this over the next few weeks and that he will be involved in the coming weeks.

Is that screaming a player who is begging 'pick me pick me' !?!....or at very least be in a matchday squad?

I'll 'support my team' , thankyou ...as I've done for 40 yrs....for players who are fully committed to playing for our club and make themselves selectable through their attitude and professionalism

Oh my word..... that could easily suggest (and seems too) that Todd has trained well but he can't expect to come straight back in, Todd might not have expected to come straight back in either.    Farke made the decision for whatever reason Farke preferred not to bring him back but no where does it say there that Cantwell didn't get selected for Derby because he didn't train well that week.   But Farke is suggesting that all the players have to keep to a certain level / standard.

It's not screaming anything.   You are just putting 2 and 2 together and getting 22.    You still haven't demonstrated that Cantwell is not committed.     But you crack on with the negative thoughts meanwhile real supporters will have the back of our players until there is firm evidence that they couldn't give a toss.      

Edited by ged in the onion bag

13 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Oh my word..... that could easily suggest (and seems too) that Todd has trained well but he can't expect to come straight back in, Todd might not have expected to come straight back in either.    Farke made the decision for whatever reason Farke preferred not to bring him back but no where does it say there that Cantwell didn't get selected for Derby because he didn't train well that week.   But Farke is suggesting that all the players have to keep to a certain level / standard.

It's not screaming anything.   You are just putting 2 and 2 together and getting 22.    You still haven't demonstrated that Cantwell is not committed.     But you crack on with the negative thoughts meanwhile real supporters will have the back of our players until there is firm evidence that they couldn't give a toss.      

...he only played 2 weeks previously vs Preston ,so not as if he was coming back from a 3 month injury layoff

...in the previous game we lost at Bounemouth...playing a midfield of Skipp,Rupp and McLean ...with Placheta on the left (injured for Derby)...so it wasnt as if Farke would be changing a winning team or dropping anyone to bring Cantwell back in.....instead opting for Steipermann

You can keep making excuses all you like for him...but to not even be on the bench clearly shows he's still not putting it in....Farke was hardly in a rush to re-instate him.

Not sure what conclusion can be drawn other than 'negative'...its certainly not a positive when one of our 'perceived' better players isnt performing well enough to at very least be selected in the 18

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Todd Cantwell is 22 years old, 23 in fact during this current season so is hardly in the midst of immature teenage years and is a man not a boy. His social media persona on his instagram account portrays him as a Billy Big Bollox with the oh look at me everybody which is disappointing to see. Whether he is like that in real life i have no idea but you leave yourself open to be judged by millions of people in today's world via social media which is quite frankly sad to see.

Did you see  Lewis or Godfrey conduct themselves like that on social media, no you did not and that is why they command 100% of our respect and left with our good wishes.

Focus or whatever you want to call it Cantwell has some life lessons to learn and he should learn them from Farke or his nearest and dearest and pay no regard to distractions which have been clearly placed in his path as this attitude from some that this is how young people behave these days does not cut the mustard with me.

Could I ask which of his instagram posts prompt you to come to this conclusion?

Only I'm looking and bar one or two, there isn't much to pick between them. Pictures of them playing football, pictures of them in their cars, pictures of them in little clothing... Jamal's is the most modest, Godfrey is closer to Cantwells. Don't look at Klose's...

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

Could I ask which of his instagram posts prompt you to come to this conclusion?

Only I'm looking and bar one or two, there isn't much to pick between them. Pictures of them playing football, pictures of them in their cars, pictures of them in little clothing... Jamal's is the most modest, Godfrey is closer to Cantwells. Don't look at Klose's...

Im not sure it matters. Look at the ones on here who haven't liked Todd from the start. It's generally the elders. Todd has really ruffled some feathers and mostly because he proved the "lets loan him to Rotherham buh" crowd wrong last season.

If Farke brings him back into the squad that's plenty good enough for me. Todd is a very good player, a local boy and worth noting we've only ever heard one side of the story. 

As for some posters on here complaining further that his social media doesn't "cut the mustard" for them, then I'm sorry to say but I dont think Todd is overly concerned what some bloke in Mile Cross thinks about his Instagram posts..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...you asked why he didnt play...or was even in the 18 vs Derby....Farke said he still hadn't done enough to...

It's literally there in type and you still can't accept it.

Farke didn't say he hadn't done enough at all.

“It wasn’t just Todd. We had several players not in the squad for this game. Jacob Lungi Sorensen trained very well, also Josh Martin.

“I am hopeful he will show this over the next few weeks and that he will be involved in the coming weeks.”

He's saying you can't just come back in and behave like the lack of focus didn't happen. Not only that, he has suggested that he has trained hard this week but is not alone is being left out. What he is saying is he wants to see more of that to prove he is past the lack of focus, one week isn't enough.

He even gives a reason as to why Buendia was given a chance and not others.

The one thing he hasn't questioned is attitude or that they aren't working hard.

6 minutes ago, chicken said:

It's literally there in type and you still can't accept it.

Farke didn't say he hadn't done enough at all.

He's saying you can't just come back in and behave like the lack of focus didn't happen. Not only that, he has suggested that he has trained hard this week but is not alone is being left out. What he is saying is he wants to see more of that to prove he is past the lack of focus, one week isn't enough.

He even gives a reason as to why Buendia was given a chance and not others.

The one thing he hasn't questioned is attitude or that they aren't working hard.

If he'd done 'enough' he'd have been back in the team...or at very least on the bench.

That's what 'enough' means

39 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Im not sure it matters. Look at the ones on here who haven't liked Todd from the start. It's generally the elders. Todd has really ruffled some feathers and mostly because he proved the "lets loan him to Rotherham buh" crowd wrong last season.

If Farke brings him back into the squad that's plenty good enough for me. Todd is a very good player, a local boy and worth noting we've only ever heard one side of the story. 

As for some posters on here complaining further that his social media doesn't "cut the mustard" for them, then I'm sorry to say but I dont think Todd is overly concerned what some bloke in Mile Cross thinks about his Instagram posts..

Who lives in Mile Cross then ?

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Goading Tilly again I presume....I don't think its "generally" elders that have criticised Todd either - or that feathers have been ruffled for any particular reason. If people could actually address criticisms rather than try to degrade them with generalisations and put downs, it would make for better discussion imo. 

Todd is a good player without a doubt, but he is also a professional footballer with all that entails - and at 22/23 should be able to rise above criticism, or ignore it altogether. The "local boy" stuff is overdone too imo....yes, it's good when a local player comes through, but that should not make him exempt from criticism that other players would get in the same situation.

Loss of focus has been reported and we have to accept that is the case - so it is clear that he has to respond to that.....maybe he has already in training....but there is only one place to show it - on the pitch. Work hard, get your head straight and prove it with your football.  I wish all footballers young or not just realised that social media is best avoided, because as Tilly says, the moment you post anything you will get people making ill informed judgements based on their own particular prejudice and without really knowing the person involved.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Goading Tilly again I presume....I don't think its "generally" elders that have criticised Todd either - or that feathers have been ruffled for any particular reason. If people could actually address criticisms rather than try to degrade them with generalisations and put downs, it would make for better discussion imo. 

So to clarify, we can generalise about Todd and his 'generation', we can 'put down' his attitude...but its of course not OK in the other direction? That maybe some of our fans have and had already made a decision on Todd and needed an excuse to post their guff on here?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

So to clarify, we can generalise about Todd and his 'generation', we can 'put down' his attitude...but its of course not OK in the other direction? That maybe some of our fans have and had already made a decision on Todd and needed an excuse to post their guff on here?

Someone making a specific criticism should have that criticism answered, not ridiculed or dismissed out of hand.

My tolerance level with arrogant young men who have a high opinion of themselves i must confess Lakey does not have a very high bar.

Edited by TIL 1010

18 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

My tolerance level with arrogant young men who have a high opinion of themselves i must confess Lakey does not have a very high bar.

To be fair you've never struck me as the best judge of person. 😅

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Someone making a specific criticism should have that criticism answered, not ridiculed or dismissed out of hand.

OK.

My specific criticism is that the majority of those who have been, in my opinion, unnecessarily hard towards Todd have been fans of an older age.

How about we don't ridicule or dismiss that out of hand? I've looked at the Cantwell threads and read different opinions and that is a conclusion I have drawn.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

To be fair you've never struck me as the best judge of person. 😅

A Police staff appraisal once described me as ' this man does not suffer fools gladly ' so make of that what you will.

...I don't 'think' , I'm of a 'certain age' yet!....nor do I look at players instagram accounts

I'd just like our players to show the necessary professionalism whilst at the club to render themselves selectable on a matchday

Ultimately they either want to be here or they dont...if its the latter, I dont really care much for them regardless of which clubs are in for them

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

A Police staff appraisal once described me as ' this man does not suffer fools gladly ' so make of that what you will.

Isn't this a bit arrogant? 

21 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I kind of understand that, and I am not accusing you of this Til, but from what I see there is what is bordering on hatred towards Todd from some and I really do not get it. Todd maybe needs to channel his confidence/arrogance but never lose it because it is that confidence/arrogance which was behind some of the great stuff he produced in the Prem. Yes he can be frustrating but personally I have nothing but admiration for a Norfolk lad that has made it to the Norwich first team. I do not really care what he posts on social media, it does not effect me, I do not get upset by it, I do not care how long his hair is, what colour it is, that he wears an alice band and gloves, I like the fact he has that maverick vibe about him, as long as he channels it. The lad has lost a bit of focus, so he posts to show he cares about NCFC and what happens?.........criticism, I just do not get it. I hope he comes back into the fold and flourishes with NCFC and NCFC flourish with him. The reaction to him losing a bit of focus has been way over the top, be kind to each other..........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, hogesar said:

OK.

My specific criticism is that the majority of those who have been, in my opinion, unnecessarily hard towards Todd have been fans of an older age.

How about we don't ridicule or dismiss that out of hand? I've looked at the Cantwell threads and read different opinions and that is a conclusion I have drawn.

That is neither specific or based on anything concrete. It's just assumptions.

36 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Isn't this a bit arrogant? 

I've  explained to him before that the phrase he used is HR speak for " has a very high opinion of himself".

One of the reasons I think Farke was wrong to air this criticism publicly is its now become open season on a very talented young player because he apparently doesn't conduct himself in the way some would like on social media.

Honestly if I was Todd I'd be desperate to get the **** out of here to a fanbase that might actually appreciate me.