Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Could Todd be staying?

Lucky there's no crowds inside stadiums....in years gone by other players haven't come back for less than this in fan's eyes ..i.e Sherwood,Francis'Grabban.

If he is reintegrated he'll get an easier ride than he warrants

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Maybe it shows he's trying to refocus. Actions speak louder than words though and I'd rather players did their talking on the pitch.

Yes, I seem to remember you being a massive fan of Snodgrass’s back chat, Lakey

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:
6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Maybe it shows he's trying to refocus. Actions speak louder than words though and I'd rather players did their talking on the pitch.

Yes, I seem to remember you being a massive fan of Snodgrass’s back chat, Lakey

Not sure what you are saying there, Alex, I meant talking in the sense of their football doing the talking.

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Lucky there's no crowds inside stadiums....in years gone by other players haven't come back for less than this in fan's eyes ..i.e Sherwood,Francis'Grabban.

What exactly has he done?

All I’ve seen is Farke saying Cantwell had lost focus after transfer speculation. In the same interview he says Cantwell and Buendia both took part in all training sessions but weren’t fully focussed, he isn’t angry and doesn’t blame them but he’s only going to pick players who are fully focussed.

If he hasn’t handed in a transfer request and hasn’t done a Tevez and gone off to play golf instead of bothering to turn up, I can’t get too wound up about a young lad losing a bit of focus when he’s got transfer speculation swirling around about him. Happens all the time at loads of clubs and with loads of players.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Aggy said:

What exactly has he done?

All I’ve seen is Farke saying Cantwell had lost focus after transfer speculation. In the same interview he says Cantwell and Buendia both took part in all training sessions but weren’t fully focussed, he isn’t angry and doesn’t blame them but he’s only going to pick players who are fully focussed.

If he hasn’t handed in a transfer request and hasn’t done a Tevez and gone off to play golf instead of bothering to turn up, I can’t get too wound up about a young lad losing a bit of focus when he’s got transfer speculation swirling around about him. Happens all the time at loads of clubs and with loads of players.

...he hasnt put the effort in ,in training for TWO WEEKS to have made himself selectable for 2 games....2 games where we lost and could have done with him

If this was an overseas player we could partially understand it...but this is supposed to be his club, desire to play for us should never be in question...could you see Grealish acting up in this way at Villa?...even when they were in the championship?

..you say it happens all the time?....I cant recall this happening at this club very often at all.

If he hasnt been putting in it in training to a standard to make himself selectable...particularly at a time when Dowell is injured and he knew how much the team needs him...then that's a f#cking disgrace in my book.

....harming his international prospects too as it hasnt been lost on Boothroyd who dropped him from U21s

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...he hasnt put the effort in ,in training for TWO WEEKS to have made himself selectable for 2 games....2 games where we lost and could have done with him

If this was an overseas player we could partially understand it...but this is supposed to be his club, desire to play for us should never be in question...could you see Grealish acting up in this way at Villa?...even when they were in the championship?

..you say it happens all the time?....I cant recall this happening at this club very often at all.

If he hasnt been putting in it in training to a standard to make himself selectable...particularly at a time when Dowell is injured and he knew how much the team needs him...then that's a f#cking disgrace in my book.

....harming his international prospects too as it hasnt been lost on Boothroyd who dropped him from U21s

You haven't seen that, you're taking hints from Farke and making your mind up without any substantive facts.

4 minutes ago, Number9 said:

You haven't seen that, you're taking hints from Farke and making your mind up without any substantive facts.

He hasnt played for 2 games....Farke explianed why

What else do you need?

• Like 2

Not specific to Cantwell but as soon as you describe yourself as humble you've stopped being humble.

• Like 2

Farke fudged about training, which nobody sees to confirm or deny. 

Then he ranted about Todd's performance LAST season, assists, goals etc. I'm not sure blame for last season could be laid at Todd's feet?

Regards Emi, hints about training but a rant about getting sent off. That was months ago, should have been done and dusted at the time, not being dragged through the media into the next season. 

So is it as clear cut as Farke would have you believe? I don't believe everything I see or hear as the complete truth without considering the agenda of the person saying it.

The bare evidence is that he hasnt been on the pitch for the last 2 games

If Farke no longer fancies him as a player then thats fair enough and the managers choice and we may aswell then sell.

If however Farke does still want him  and Cantwell hasnt been professional enough over the course of two whole weeks to have bern selected in a matchday squad of 18 , then he's a bad egg ...plain and simple

One week is bad enough...but at least Buendia clearly had the desired reacation and was back the following week

....for it have gone on for a second game after what Farke said in his post match interview after Bournemouth shows his lack of desire to play for this club

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...could you see Grealish acting up in this way at Villa?...

Grealish has done far worse but was not punished because his club needed him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The bare evidence is that he hasnt been on the pitch for the last 2 games

If Farke no longer fancies him as a player then thats fair enough and the managers choice and we may aswell then sell.

If however Farke does still want him  and Cantwell hasnt been professional enough over the course of two whole weeks to have bern selected in a matchday squad of 18 , then he's a bad egg ...plain and simple

One week is bad enough...but at least Buendia clearly had the desired reacation and was back the following week

....for it have gone on for a second game after what Farke said in his post match interview after Bournemouth shows his lack of desire to play for this club

So, if you’re right, presumably he never plays for us again? If he’s a bad egg, as you say, we won’t have him anywhere near the squad? If we do, it’s weak management from Farke?

Alternatively, it could be as the manager said - he’s not angry with the players, they’re human, they’ve lost focus because of the transfer rumours and as long as they regain the focus, they’ll be picked again. Farke didn’t come out and say they’ve been disruptive and ruining the training for everyone or ruining squad harmony. He said they’d lost focus. 

You say it hasn’t happened here much, but as Farke said in his interview, most managers would have just made up an injury or something like that. That line from Farke alone sounds to me like it was literally a player having his head turned and not being in the right frame of mind to be playing. You say it’s been going on for two weeks, but the rumours were/are still going on far more for Cantwell than Buendia. 

Cantwell isn’t your traditional old pro - no arguments there. But at the same time, has the club ever come out and said no he’s definitely not going anywhere? You can’t have it both ways - A transfer would mean upping and moving home and massive disruption in your life. If the right offer came in would we sell? Have we been negotiating until a couple of days ago? You can’t play with the players’ lives and then cry about it if their performance drops slightly for a little while.

My understanding is that he is represented by an agent who has no standards whatsoever. Todd is a very young man and quite frankly he's clearly not the brightest light bulb in the pack and is being led by someone who just wants to make a few quid out of him. Good footballer though, but perhaps not quite as good as he thinks. 

Other clubs will have looked at his behaviour and thought again. Perhaps Todd is having second thoughts too. 

6 minutes ago, Aggy said:

So, if you’re right, presumably he never plays for us again? If he’s a bad egg, as you say, we won’t have him anywhere near the squad? If we do, it’s weak management from Farke?

Alternatively, it could be as the manager said - he’s not angry with the players, they’re human, they’ve lost focus because of the transfer rumours and as long as they regain the focus, they’ll be picked again. Farke didn’t come out and say they’ve been disruptive and ruining the training for everyone or ruining squad harmony. He said they’d lost focus. 

You say it hasn’t happened here much, but as Farke said in his interview, most managers would have just made up an injury or something like that. That line from Farke alone sounds to me like it was literally a player having his head turned and not being in the right frame of mind to be playing. You say it’s been going on for two weeks, but the rumours were/are still going on far more for Cantwell than Buendia. 

Cantwell isn’t your traditional old pro - no arguments there. But at the same time, has the club ever come out and said no he’s definitely not going anywhere? You can’t have it both ways - A transfer would mean upping and moving home and massive disruption in your life. If the right offer came in would we sell? Have we been negotiating until a couple of days ago? You can’t play with the players’ lives and then cry about it if their performance drops slightly for a little while.

If Farke doesnt rate him and wouldnt stand in his way if an offer came in ..then as I previously said, fair enough ,that's a managers choice.

...and as you previously said, unlike Lewis and Godfrey where Farke proclaimed them as the best left back in the championship and the best young centre half in the country, he was instead quick to reel off the stats about Cantwell's last goal and assist.

You get the impression that Farke wouldnt be as upset to lose Cantwell as other players....but if he's not showing a desire to play for us, that makes that standpoint easier.

There's a gap in the team for Cantwell to play in a prominent no.10 role and be the main man at the club he's been at since he was a kid, and help to get us back up.

...does he really want it?

Frankly I don't see any point in doing anything other than accepting what Todd has posted as an attempt to mend a few fences. No one can deny the guy is one of the most talented players we have, and it is no surprise that his young head has been turned by agents and other clubs whispering extravagant promises in his ear. Yes he threw his toys out of the pram, but it seems he has now gathered them up again and wants to play properly.  It is certainly true that he could learn a lot from considering how Godfrey and Aarons have dealt with the intense speculation over their futures. So let's hope he does just that. Surely it is in the interests of all parties (including fans) to give the young man a chance to prove his commitment on the training pitch and on match day. There really is nothing to gain from continuing a festering antipathy towards him. If you found it in your heart to forgive Hoolahan for his "sh*t-hole club" comment, when Paul Lambert did every thing he could to unsettle him, then surely you can give Todd a break too.

There's always a way back. 

People love hoolahan, despite his incredibly disrespectful actions in trying to get a move. 

I'm not having a go at Cantwell, but i do think his agent has embarrassed the pair of them. 

However, it's unlikely that Cantwell had no idea what his agent was up to.

A shame it happened but its in the interest of club and player to move on from this. 

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

You must have an incredibly short memory - the same thing happened with Buendia all of two weeks ago........ but for some reason he gets hardly any criticism, but Todd gets slated. 

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You must have an incredibly short memory - the same thing happened with Buendia all of two weeks ago........ but for some reason he gets hardly any criticism, but Todd gets slated. 

Buendia at least pulled himself together to get out on the pitch the following week....where was Cantwell?....or is your memory even shorter?

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Depends who the fans are doesn’t it.   Prefer to deal with the facts than take the word of the too many idiots on here that suggest he’s downed tools.    In the absence of facts, he deserves the benefit of any doubt.    What’s wrong with fans, why be so unnecessarily negative.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Buendia at least pulled himself together to get out on the pitch the following week....where was Cantwell?....or is your memory even shorter?

Pulled himself together enough to throw a strop against Derby. 

I have a suspicion all the business might be done now as far as NCFC is concerned. Hopefully Todd, Emi and Max will all stay, we need them!

All 3 need to do the business on the pitch.... it's not long until the next transfer window.