Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Tommy Robson RIP

Tommy Robson (a Peterborough legend) sadly passed away this week.

Why would you mention him I hear you ask.....

Tommy was the player on the receiving end of Kevin Keelans famous left hook when he was playing for Northampton Town. 

He started out with Newcastle and the team picture below shows Tommy along with two players who later joined us, Albert Bennett and Ollie Burton.

I believe Albert and Tommy remained close friends throughout their lives until Albert passed a couple of years ago.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/webimg/T0FLMTI2MjkyNjM2.jpg?crop=61:45,smart&width=800

I believe 'Smith must score' knew Tommy, I wondered if that punch was ever mentioned in conversation.

• Thanks 2

When I moved up to the North East in 1981 Tommy Robson was known as a legend in these parts. Never heard anyone say a bad word about him. Tommy was as much a Newcastle legend as Supermac. Thats how fondly Geordies recall him. Sad that he has passed away 

I took a taxi during my first year at UEA (1998) along with a Liverpool supporting friend. The driver; Albert Bennett.

We realised that not only had Albert played for Norwich, but that it was against him, that Emyln Hughes earnt the nickname, ‘crazy horse’ for rugby tackling, Albert. 

Albert Bennett was also well thought of at Newcastle, he was praised in an episode of Auf Wiedersehen Pet. 

Sad losses - that was some team they had. 

2 hours ago, lappinitup said:

Tommy Robson (a Peterborough legend) sadly passed away this week.

Why would you mention him I hear you ask.....

Tommy was the player on the receiving end of Kevin Keelans famous left hook when he was playing for Northampton Town. 

He started out with Newcastle and the team picture below shows Tommy along with two players who later joined us, Albert Bennett and Ollie Burton.

I believe Albert and Tommy remained close friends throughout their lives until Albert passed a couple of years ago.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/webimg/T0FLMTI2MjkyNjM2.jpg?crop=61:45,smart&width=800

I believe 'Smith must score' knew Tommy, I wondered if that punch was ever mentioned in conversation.

Lapps, Ollie Burton joined Newcastle from us. Interesting to see Wyn Davies there - rather the poor man's Ron Davies. And I was at that game, when Keelan switched to boxing...

40 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Look at the state of the goalkeeper.....

Sweeper*

Edited by ELYOUKAYEE

i was standing on the terraces that day in the South Stand and remember that after Keelan lamped Robson he walked straight off the field towards the tunnel before the referee even took any action. He had tucked the ball under his other arm before he swung the punch.

Sorry to hear about that bit of sad news re. Tommy Robson.

Decent NUFC side, was that. That photo must have have been taken sometime during 1967/68, and is remarkable for the absence of Bobby Moncur, the last Newcastle skipper to lift any silverware (Fairs Cup 1968/69). That´s Frank Clark, whose full name didn´t quite make the final cut in the photo, but the real star of the show was Bryan "Pop" Robson, who is probably better remembered (at least by oldies like myself) after his transfer to West Ham in 1971.

Ftr, saw the basis of this side go one-down to a John O´Rourke goal shortly before half-time at Portman Rd in Oct 1968, before coming back after the break to smash the other team 4-1, Pop Robson scoring twice.

Anyway, thought you all might like to know the final score that day...

...and I did say that I was old.

Cheers.

14 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Lapps, Ollie Burton joined Newcastle from us. Interesting to see Wyn Davies there - rather the poor man's Ron Davies. And I was at that game, when Keelan switched to boxing...

Thanks Purps, of course you're right, I posted the pic without giving it too much thought.

I wasn't at that game but the infamous punch was reported as a left hook which I thought was strange, as Keelan was right handed.

In the words of the great man himself.....

"There was a feller by the name of Robson who played for Northampton. He kept on at me when I caught the ball so I tucked it under one arm and just punched him with the other," said Keelan.